apparent new recall on the my 17

04cr450

Reaction score
Recall on the low pressure oil pump. On cold start ups only, low oil pressure conditions have occurred and can ruin the engine obviously. Check it out fellas, hopefully none of the trucks on here have this issue- only certain "month" builds are effected by this recall. In addition to other findings not related to this recall, wiring chaffing can occur at the suction refrigerant line. This chaff is located on passenger side of vehicle, middle molex plug on fire wall- look below at suction line by access port- the harness can be touching the refrigerant pipe. Some are on it rubbing up against it, others are fine with 1/2" or so clearance causing no issues.

Last edited:

Spatel23

Reaction score
I've also heard of this issue.
I'm pretty sure a lot of delivery dates, including mine, have been pushed back a month to curtail the issue.
My truck for example is finished/built but they are not releasing it for shipment

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Found the video on another forum, here it is;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXYk5dFP9ss

I went hunting and found the VIN of that Platinum he is looking at, which spits out this info on the Recall/FSA system;
https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls.html
VIN: 1FT8W3BT9HEB46194
Recall Date: DEC 19, 2016
Recall Title: FRAME CROSSMEMBER REINFORCEMENT BRACKET INSPECTION
NHTSA Recall Number: AWAITING#
Ford Recall Number: 16S45
Recall Description: SOME F-SUPER DUTY PICKUP VEHICLES BUILT WITHIN THE SUSPECT DATE RANGE MAY BE MISSING A FRAME REINFORCEMENT BRACKET AT THE ATTACHMENT OF THE FRONT FUEL TANK STRAP, WHICH IS REQUIRED ON THESE VEHICLES FOR LONG-TERM DURABILITY. FORD IS NOT AWARE OF ANY REPORTS OF ACCIDENT, INJURY OR FIRE RELATED TO THIS CONDITION.
Risk to Safety: THE FRAME REINFORCEMENT FOR THE FUEL TANK SUPPORT STRAP IS REQUIRED ON SUPER DUTY PICKUP APPLICATIONS FOR LONG-TERM DURABILITY. OVER TIME, THE MISSING REINFORCEMENT ON THESE VEHICLES COULD LEAD TO THE FUEL TANK STRAP SEPARATING FROM THE FRAME, RESULTING IN THE FUEL TANK MOVING OUT OF POSITION AND POTENTIALLY CONTACTING THE GROUND, INCREASING THE RISK OF A FUEL LEAK. A FUEL LEAK IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF A FIRE.
Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO INSPECT FOR THE PRESENCE OF A REINFORCEMENT ON THE #3 CROSS MEMBER AT THE FRONT FUEL TANK STRAP ATTACHMENT LOCATION. IF NO REINFORCEMENT BRACKET IS FOUND, THE DEALER WILL INSTALL A REINFORCEMENT BRACKET. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD IS EXCLUDING REIMBURSEMENT FOR COSTS BECAUSE THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY PROGRAM WOULD PROVIDE FOR A FREE REPAIR FOR THIS CONCERN. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE NOTIFICATION LETTERS TO DEALERS TO THE AGENCY WHEN AVAILABLE.
Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

VIN: 1FT8W3BT9HEB46194
FSA Title: ENGINE OIL PRESSURE INSPECTION
Field Service Action Number: 16U32

VIN info from that truck;
Build Date: 12.09.2016
Vehicle Line: F-Series Super Duty
Body Style: Double Cab (3/4 Door)
Version: 350 Series
Engine: 6.7L 4V V8 T/C Diesel
Transmission: 6 Speed Auto Trans (6R140)
Drive: LHD 4WD (PTD)
Axle Ratio: 3.55
Emission: 50 State Emission Requirements
Air Conditioning: High Capacity Air Conditioner
Territory: (+)"USA"
Paint: Ingot Silver Metallic 2

I entered my Platinum VIN into the recall/FSA system, it was built later, and does not include the fuel tank issue (thought this was gas trucks only??) or the oil pressure issue;
Build Date: 14.10.2016

Will keep watching my VIN for updates as well as the truck for cold start behavior and oil pressure, it is likely on immediate start which I won't be able to see on the dash until it boots.

Any Ford techs able to provide some insight or a copy of "Field Service Action Number: 16U32"?

Last edited:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
As far as the 16u32 recall goes, it is a demonstration and delivery hold. We are doing our entire stock, so ive got something like 35 of them to do. Recall is to run them at 2400-2500 rpm for 1/2 hor, then let it sit for a minimum of 8 hours, then have to check on a cold start for how long the oil pressure switch takes to change. Ford is anticipating 1%or less of vehicles to be affected. As of right now, any fixes if affected are going to be released in mid January.

highdrum

Reaction score
My new lariat I picked up this weekend falls under this recall. Will def keep an eye on it!

Spatel23

Reaction score
Good news that you didn't have to fix any you checked.
My build date was 11/27 and I have an eta of 1/12 so hopefully mine checks out as well.

Thanks for the info

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
Haven't had any for the recall yet. But for those of you have or will be getting a 17 have a look at the engine harness as it comes out from the pcm and goes by the EGR cooler. Already had one the harness rubbed through on two wires for injectors. 4000 miles on it. They are all gonna have the same problem, they have a harness retainer holding the harness against the cooler...

TyCorr

Reaction score
Haven't had any for the recall yet. But for those of you have or will be getting a 17 have a look at the engine harness as it comes out from the pcm and goes by the EGR cooler. Already had one the harness rubbed through on two wires for injectors. 4000 miles on it. They are all gonna have the same problem, they have a harness retainer holding the harness against the cooler...

Is there a way to seperate the wires and loom them so they arent breaking over the edge of the cooler?

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
Yes, you can reroute the harness as I did so that it doesn't rub. Something I would recommend doing if buying one. I'll try to keep you posted if any bulletins come out.

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
Didn't take any pics and customer already picked up the truck. Not much involved, just removed the harness retainer from the stud on the EGR cooler and route it away from the cooler and secured it to the pcm mounting bracket.

Squat and Poot

Reaction score
gotcha, took a quick look at mine today and didnt see what you were talking about but I'll take a long look in the daytime tomorrow.

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
If I get another one in I'll snap a few pics. Basically locate the pcm on the passenger side firewall just below the wiper cowl. There are three connectors, follow the centre one down and if it's the same it will have a plastic tie strap with an end on it connected to one of the studs that bolts the EGR cooler to the valve cover. It will be obvious if the wiring harness is rubbing on the cooler.