Will it hurt the 6.7 to sit parked for an extended time period?

truckman1974

Reaction score
As some of you may have read, I'm an Army guy currently deployed to West Africa....saving the world and doing my part to "fight Ebola"... :slap:

Anyway.... I will be over here for about 8 months before I return home for a short leave/vacation period and then back over here for about another year. My truck is parked at my mother's house right now and she is going to crank it and let it run for me for 10-15 minutes every other weekend (is that enough?).

I'm wondering if that's bad for the truck, is it going to hurt anything, and/or are there things I need to watch for or be concerned about. It's got a full tank of diesel (she can't drive that big thing...lol) and has some additive in the tank (Diesel Kleen).

Do you think it will be ok? I'm a first time diesel owner (actually haven't even been able to lay eyes on this truck other than the pictures....I bought it online) and on here to try to learn some stuff before I get back home.

Thanks for the help and advice....

08Monster

Reaction score
Make sure that additive has a anti algae in it. Diesel grows algae rapidly if any moisture would get in the tank, which it will from condensation over long periods of sitting

truckman1974

Reaction score
Make sure that additive has a anti algae in it. Diesel grows algae rapidly if any moisture would get in the tank, which it will from condensation over long periods of sitting

The one that was used is "Power Service Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost" It's the silver bottle.

Attachments

• Diesel Kleen.jpg
    Diesel Kleen.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 78

truckman1974

Reaction score
Yea, that makes sense....so that there's less room for condensation to form inside in the first place.

truckman1974

Reaction score
I would do what has been suggested and have a buddy run the truck around for me every few weeks.

Yep, for sure. The truck is at my mom's house and she can get out there and crank it for me but she's afraid to try to drive it because it's so big for her.

I suppose once every couple months or so I could have my bro-in-law come over and drive it to the gas station and top it off for me. That way the engine is getting ran and there's a little fresh fuel getting put in there.

I wonder if I need to have him try to empty that fuel filter (water bowl) under there if it is continuously maintaining nearly the same tank of fuel?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Driving it and getting ALL the fluids up to an operating temp would be best as it will help release entrained air and water.

Just to get it out of the way, dieselkleen is a performance additive. It really doesn't do crap for storage. Nor does it inhibit gelling. It is badically suited to raise cetane in crappy diesel fuel and that is it. If you get good diesel, it wont do anything. I know, I used it for yeeeears.

The same brand, white bottle is better for keeping diesel fresh. Id use stanadyne or something from ford though.

What climate is this being stored in?

truckman1974

Reaction score
Driving it and getting ALL the fluids up to an operating temp would be best as it will help release entrained air and water.

Just to get it out of the way, dieselkleen is a performance additive. It really doesn't do crap for storage. Nor does it inhibit gelling. It is badically suited to raise cetane in crappy diesel fuel and that is it. If you get good diesel, it wont do anything. I know, I used it for yeeeears.

The same brand, white bottle is better for keeping diesel fresh. Id use stanadyne or something from ford though.

What climate is this being stored in?

I have the white bottles too (recommended for temps 30 degrees and less). It's being stored in South Louisiana. Doesn't get super cold down there. I will make sure when they take the truck for a drive they give it time to get the fluids up to temp. Good suggestion.....thanks.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Dude, im scared for you. I personally think your mission is bs, which isnt your doing but I dont agree with the military strategy. It isnt a military issue.

mandkole

Reaction score
agreed...no place for the US military. We do plenty else where. Good luck and come back safe!

Wouldn't hurt to keep the batteries up as well.

truckman1974

Reaction score
Yea....been in for 18 years now........A L M O S T D O N E ........can't wait to be finished!

truckman1974

Reaction score
Thank you for keeping the bad guy away from our doors.

Thank you for being supportive! The part that makes it worth it (for me) is knowing that people back home support us....little things like that. Maybe not "worth it" but it is a rewarding feeling. For example, sometimes when I'm looking for a part for a vehicle and email a company they have sometimes given me super discounts as a way to show their support. I know that's not much, to some, and they probably are still making money (because their production costs may be low), but like they say, it's the thought that counts and when they save me some money it's worth it. It's no secret that being a Soldier isn't the highest paid profession............but MOST of us don't do it for the money!

Someone has to try to keep the wolf from knocking at the door! I'm proud to say I am one of those guys... :gun:

Ackerdiesel

Reaction score
Thank you for being supportive! The part that makes it worth it (for me) is knowing that people back home support us....little things like that. Maybe not "worth it" but it is a rewarding feeling. For example, sometimes when I'm looking for a part for a vehicle and email a company they have sometimes given me super discounts as a way to show their support. I know that's not much, to some, and they probably are still making money (because their production costs may be low), but like they say, it's the thought that counts and when they save me some money it's worth it. It's no secret that being a Soldier isn't the highest paid profession............but MOST of us don't do it for the money!

Someone has to try to keep the wolf from knocking at the door! I'm proud to say I am one of those guys... :gun:

I think these guys have got you squared away on the storage needs. Definitely make sure and do an oil change when you get back before you start to daily the truck as the oil will condensate. It won't hurt it just driving on occasions while your gone but if you start racking up miles there is the potential for problems. And most importantly thank you for your service

Ryan

Latest posts

Members online