Looking for turbo suggestions

08Monster

Reaction score
Question to see what you would all do. I have a 2007 with a stage 3 powermax in it, motor is pretty well built, all the fuel components are there, and has stock size injectors.
I'm not sure if it's the turbo causing my towing issues, or the truck but I CANT tow. I can't even use cruise in my top gear at say 70mph with 8k behind me. Dogs out and starts loosing power and has to down shift and run at 2600rpm to go 70. It will than shift back up to 5th, and repeat. I can't even pull a small hill and not loose speed. Boost numbers cruising empty are higher than they are towing at the same speeds. Mileage is terrible.

What turbo would you pick that can still tow (in my top gear preferably), make good power (500+), and drive nicely? I plan on going bigger injectors, I would like to touch the 600+HP mark.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nick7.3

Reaction score
I would do a 190/30 and a stage 2 kc turbo seems to be a popular combo. But a stage 3 on stock sticks is pretty big. If i where to stay with stock sticks I'd just run a 1.5 kc turbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwelch08

Reaction score
I would do a 190/30 and a stage 2 kc turbo seems to be a popular combo. But a stage 3 on stock sticks is pretty big. If i where to stay with stock sticks I'd just run a 1.5 kc turbo

This is the combo I have and I tow a 13k-15k (depending how loaded down we are) fifth wheel from job to job without a problem at all.

08Monster

Reaction score
This is the combo I have and I tow a 13k-15k (depending how loaded down we are) fifth wheel from job to job without a problem at all.

How's mileage, power, towing manners, etc

shmoozer

Reaction score
A stage 1.5 or 2 KC or barder would tow far better with stock sticks than that stage 3 powermax. That stage 3 is far too big for the limited amounts of fuel.

08Monster

Reaction score
A stage 1.5 or 2 KC or barder would tow far better with stock sticks than that stage 3 powermax. That stage 3 is far too big for the limited amounts of fuel.

Do you think that's my issue, or do I have something else going on as well. It's a DOG trying to tow. If I would upgrade injectors and keep the stage 3, would it tow better? EBP seems way high also. Almost always a 2:1 ratio, sometimes 3 or 4 to 1. Idle is EBP 3, boost 0. Light driving around town I see EBP 20, boost 5-8. 70mph I see EBP 29, boost 15. Wot EBP is 39, boost 29.

sootie

Reaction score
Could be a faulty ebp sensor not helping things either.

slc6oh

Reaction score
im on a stage 1.5 and stock sticks, love it. every part about it.

if for some reason i ever need injectors, ill bump to 190/30s and a stage two.

kwelch08

Reaction score

Mileage is pretty good haven't really tracked it just know I can drive back and forth to work that is 22 miles round trip for two weeks on a single tank. Towing is awesome it doesn't like it when you drop the rpms below 2k though but no big deal. Around town it's an absolute blast.

kwelch08

Reaction score
How's mileage, power, towing manners, etc

Mileage is pretty good haven't really tracked it just know I can drive back and forth to work that is 22 miles round trip for two weeks on a single tank. Towing is awesome it doesn't like it when you drop the rpms below 2k though but no big deal. Around town it's an absolute blast.

08Monster

Reaction score

In my top gear I'm at about 1800rpm at 70 so maybe that won't work for me either.

shmoozer

Reaction score
Do you think that's my issue, or do I have something else going on as well. It's a DOG trying to tow. If I would upgrade injectors and keep the stage 3, would it tow better? EBP seems way high also. Almost always a 2:1 ratio, sometimes 3 or 4 to 1. Idle is EBP 3, boost 0. Light driving around town I see EBP 20, boost 5-8. 70mph I see EBP 29, boost 15. Wot EBP is 39, boost 29.

I think it's part of the issue yes. Not enough fuel to drive the charger is going to make it a little doggy. Are you lifted at all? Wheel and tire size? What are your rear end gears? That could be playing a part in the issue as well.

08Monster

Reaction score
I think it's part of the issue yes. Not enough fuel to drive the charger is going to make it a little doggy. Are you lifted at all? Wheel and tire size? What are your rear end gears? That could be playing a part in the issue as well.

Leveled, 35s, 3.73s