Code Question for you 6.0 Guys

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
So let me set the stage....

Bone stock 6.0 (new to me) hooked to our new to me 5er roughly 10K lbs. Pulling a pretty stout hill running 65ish, truck down shifted to 4th and held that gear for roughly 1 min, fan kicked on, truck was working a bit.

As we neared the top of the hill I lifted just a bit and the truck decided to shift back into 5th when it did it instantly threw the wrench light. I pulled over at a rest stop for just one second. Key cycle and wrench is gone. About 15 mins later same thing, threw the wrench again... Instantly as it shifted from 4 to 5 at pretty decent throttle/boost.

So, got home... forget to pull the code before I shut it off and the code is gone.

Anyone have any ideas whats up? It never did this in the 4K I've owned it so far.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Could be either oil cooler or turbo boost codes. Typically those are the 2 that will set wrench lights. Monjtor your ect and eot next time its hooked up, if they split more that 15 degrees once warm (180 deg or more) your oil cooler is on it way out.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Gotta grab a tuner here so I can monitor, been lazy and cheap, but I know the cooler is new writhing 10k miles (118k total). I'm wondering if it's boost related since it did it both times exactly at a shift point.

Also, just for fun.... big hill on the way out to the camp site, truck down shifted to 4th and POP! Intercooler pipe/boot. Previous owner never towed in his life so it's probably the first time the truck has EVER seen 27+ PSI

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yea overboost for sure. I believe 28 & up sets the code

Diesel625

Reaction score
I've had the wrench light come on for underboost. Not what's happening in your case, but have seen overboost do it as well.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Picking up a CTS with Gear head from Miley here soon so I'll be in much better shape, I just feel like I'm walking on egg shells until I get some seat time and the right parts rounded up for the 6.0. I appreciate the responses! Hopefully I'll have a better grasp of this stuff once I can start monitoring

Latest posts

Members online