High egts feels like drag

scparrish

Reaction score
Alright well I have pretty high egts while driving and cruising. I fight to keep the egts under 1100-1200 while cruising. It feels like I am pulling a trailer but I am not. The brakes aren't dragging either. Could I be looking at axle or t case issues? That is pretty much the only thing that hasn't been built or rebuilt. Thanks in advance.

scparrish

Reaction score
Non vgt, I see 45ish pounds of boost, the front wheels spin freely, the rear has some resistance when spinning by had but no more than my dad's healthy 6.0. It does slow down some what quickly while just rolling.

scparrish

Reaction score
Also this may just be in my head but it feels like it is worse once up to operating temperature. There are no odd sounds coming from anywhere. It has gotten worse over a good deal of time, a year or more.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Non vgt, I see 45ish pounds of boost, the front wheels spin freely, the rear has some resistance when spinning by had but no more than my dad's healthy 6.0. It does slow down some what quickly while just rolling.

What's your boost when cruising? What size non vgt? If I'm lugging a bit I can see 1k+ easy on the highway with my s366

scparrish

Reaction score
S366. I also had the same symptoms with a pmax. The pmax started out great and then had these same issues so I pulled it and put a stock turbo same issues and then I tore the truck down put in the non vgt and t4 up pipes, aeromotive fuel system, bpd oil cooler.

It is about the same now as it was with the pmax also oil and coolant temps climb like I am towing.

I am sure running 35s isn't helping. I only see a couple pounds at 2k rpms.

alradco

Reaction score
I'm curious too what boost you're at while just cruising, especially with those temps. Gears won't do anything to fix your problem.

Reaction score
My bro has a truck with the same story. Started out with a pmax started seeing high egts went to a s366. Cant keep truck under 1200 while cruising in over drive. We have tried everything but trans. We even pulled motor to make sure nothing was of issue.

That being said we have had another truck running 285s and a 66 cruise at 750 in od. Same truck with a 75 cruised cooler than my brothers setup. He as at a total lose doesn't even drive truck anymore

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

scparrish

Reaction score
What size tires are they running? I am curious if that is my issue. The truck runs real strong just has high egts I am going to change the Pyro probe also.

strokethis_06

Reaction score
My bro has a truck with the same story. Started out with a pmax started seeing high egts went to a s366. Cant keep truck under 1200 while cruising in over drive. We have tried everything but trans. We even pulled motor to make sure nothing was of issue.

That being said we have had another truck running 285s and a 66 cruise at 750 in od. Same truck with a 75 cruised cooler than my brothers setup. He as at a total lose doesn't even drive truck anymore

This truck is cclb on 37s. S366 275/150s, dual oil, built trans

My truck was cclb on 37s. S475
The same 275/150s, dual oil, built trans
I ran a s366 for a short time.

My truck ran 300 degrees cooler in overdrive than this truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

strokethis_06

Reaction score

Also this truck ran hot with a powermax and 190/75s.

The truck makes boost. We tore the engine down completely to rule everything out. The injectors and intercooler are off of my truck that ran cooler. All brakes were replaced with new to rule out drag.

My truck would get hot if I pulled a hill in overdrive. This truck feels like you are pulling a hill all the time.

Maybe trans or rear diff. Thats about all thats left.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Did you guys have the same gear ratio?
What about the same egt probe/sensor/box.

I batted with a couple of different guys for months trying to figure out what was wrong with their truck and why they had high egts. We went back and forth trying to figure out everything. They kept thinking it was the turbo (but the trucks ran clean, hard, made good power and boost). I kept suggesting it was the egts probe/sensor/box and they did not believe me. One had even replaced his probe with no change.

Ended up one guy was using the wrong formula for his sensor and the other one had a bad box for this egt setup (the probe was fine, just needed the new box). Both their trucks run fine now.

scparrish

Reaction score
I will replace the probe and I need to send the gauge back to autometer any way to have the led replaced so it will be lit up again. Maybe that will be the issue, hell of a lot cheaper than the other options.

strokethis_06

Reaction score
We replaced the gauge and probe. Even put the probe in opposite manifold. Same gears on both trucks.

Latest posts

Members online