Maximum, sustainable RWHP for a stock, 5R110 before upgrading? Experienced conclusions only.

ro3rasher3

Reaction score
Maximum, sustainable RWHP for a stock, 5R110 before upgrading? Experienced conclusions only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Per ford motor company, it is built to withstand 1100 ft/lbs at the crank. That is the 110 designation. In reality, i had one chit with stock injectors and turbo, with just a tune. However, i didnt know the history of it, and i drove like a dumbass...:lookaround:. The reman i put in lasted for about 80-90k, the last 40-45k getting flat out abused on the dragstrip, towing, and still driving like a dumbass. About 30-35k of those at ober 600 horse, and ober 1000ft/lbs at the wheels. It all depends on tuning and services. When i pulled my trans it was getting increasingly common intermittent massive flares/false neutrals. I figured it was time before it completely quit. These solenoids absolutely, positively, need to stay clean. Services at 30k are recommended, 15-20k would be more beneficial to keeping chit out of the solenoids.

sootie

Reaction score
They should handle 600hp for an extended period of time (at least I have seen that in six hours before) tuning is absolutely key, and keeping the fluid clean is a must. I did diesel sites bypass filtration and replaced the direct solenoid with a new, stock one and it lasted until the next round of upgrades that bumped it well above 600hp.

thewrubelator

Reaction score
Tuning, maintenance, and driving habits play the biggest role. Like stated above, once passed that 600hp, you'll start having issues with Direct clutches (or lack there of), and converter issues. I went through 4 stock trans' in a span of about 6 months. At around 660hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ro3rasher3

Reaction score
I appreciate the good feedback fellas. I watch these geniuses hooking their trucks hitch to hitch and power breaking them in 4wd and cringe. To each their own. I dont have 5k laying around to replace or build mine so trying to take a step back and catch all the maintenance issues that Ive neglected before moving to my next upgrades. And the more I hear from you guys my goal of the 675/700 hp mark is not practical with 140k tranny and stock drivetrain. Think I will pinch to off at the 600 mark, which is much stouter than many I know realize. These numbers get thrown around with very little evidence around here. A tune and exhaust won't get you to 5 from the slips I've witnessed, but it puts you over 600 with a lot of the 6.0 crowd in these parts. Any good stick and/ or compound suggestions would be appreciated to land around that 600 mark. Stock turbo and injectors currently, with the usual upgrades including t.b. exhaust, running Matt and Chris' non studded tunes (and yes, the studs are in hand just waiting on the time to get them in), so don't give me too much of a hard time there. They're definitely next before I can go any further. And transmission will get serviced this week and get on 15k schedule. One can't help lighting them up every now and then...yeah I looked around and saw me Sootie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
Nothing more than stock injectors with a stock tqshift if you want it to last along time. I got 185k miles out of a ford reman running nothing my extreme street and extreme race burnouts donuts towing drag racing, 100s of 4wd boosted launches, 60lbs worth of nitrous at the track. Put in 155s right before it died. Replaced it with an 08 trans and converter with 44k, best shifting torqshift I've had but the 155s hurt the direct clutches in about a year.

Cmont33

Reaction score
I do believe I had the freak of nature of stock transmissions. Ran 2 years of going to the drag strip almost every weekend through the summer running 190/100s, and a 66mm vgt turbo with supporting mods. Unfortunately the switch to 205/100s and s366 snapped the front drive shaft on the first 4x4 launch which knocked a hole in the trans case. Best pass on stock trans was 8.13 1/8th with 1.71 60'

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Some guys have great luck... others don't last so long.

A good rule of thumb is that anything above 500hp and you are on borrowed time. Some last years, others only a few weeks. If you cant afford to build the tranny then take it easy on the mods.

But there are lots of guys, including myself, that have ran upwards of 600hp on the stock tranny with great luck. I went about a year around the 600hp mark. I had a few "missed shifts" where the tranny would drop into neutral on the 2-3 and 3-5 shifts. But it still kept on going. What killed my tranny is that I loaded a tune while strapped to the dyno and did not go through the "relearn" process. I just loaded the tune and then zipped up to speed on the dyno. I missed the 3-5 shift hard and the tranny was done.

IMO with a healthy tranny you can run 550-600hp for a while, but I would still plan for a built tranny eventually.

Lipka101

Reaction score
As these guys all say. 600hp with common sense and maintenance is most you will get for any length of time. I have 50k @ 600 ish with no real problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

kwelch08

Reaction score
I had a stock 5r110 hold 190/30 injectors stage 2 Kc turbo and race tune hold for maybe 10k miles.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I've broken two on nothing but tuning. First one the converter imploded and sent shrapnel throughout the entire trans. I'll chalk this one up to my own doing.

Second one was never really right from Ford to begin with so it's hard to say. I did break the flex plate on this one randomly one day, and then later on had a complete failure of the trans.

Third trans was rebuilt by Ford (a mechanic I knew at the time) and still the one I use now. I've since upgraded the turbo and did right about 500rwhp. This trans shifts strong and holds great. I drive a lot smarter now as well. I do tow my camper all summer long with it and use the truck as a play toy on the weekends occasionally, holding great.

Tuning is very important, but driver habits I think are even more important.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
They should handle 600hp for an extended period of time (at least I have seen that in six hours before) tuning is absolutely key, and keeping the fluid clean is a must. I did diesel sites bypass filtration and replaced the direct solenoid with a new, stock one and it lasted until the next round of upgrades that bumped it well above 600hp.

Hey Sootie...

How does that Diesel Site bypass filter install? Easy to do?

Mdub707

Reaction score
Huh? Almost never the case on 5rs. Directs go first.

Correct.

My converter went from driving like an idiot with early lock up tunes on the street. Like I said, my own doing. Merely pointing out that nothing will hold up to stupidity, even at lower power levels.

bandit6oh

Reaction score
So what would one do to make the stock trans live longer at say the 600hp mark? Converter? A deeper pan with cooling fines? I'd rather make some trans upgrades to increase the life before adding more hp.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
So what would one do to make the stock trans live longer at say the 600hp mark? Converter? A deeper pan with cooling fines? I'd rather make some trans upgrades to increase the life before adding more hp.

Tuning and maintenance 100%. The deep pan doesnt really do anything, converter may help, but as stated before, it is typically the direct clutch that goes.

bandit6oh

Reaction score
Tuning and maintenance 100%. The deep pan doesnt really do anything, converter may help, but as stated before, it is typically the direct clutch that goes.

What's recommended as far as maintenance? My truck has 111k on it and not knowing if it's ever had a trans fluid change kinda scares me to do so. I've owned it since 90k

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.