Hot Shotting w/ my 6.7

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I may have the opportunity to drag some RV trailers around for one of two different hauling companies.

I've driven trucks and trailers of all sizes, have a South Carolina class F license (http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/default.aspx?n=class_e_and_f_licenses)

I pulled my record on one of those online thingies and it's clean. No accidents. I can pass the medical and pee test.

Truck is a '16 F350 SRW w/ 3kmi on it - yea, nearly new. It needs a few little things like wide mud flaps, a set of triangles and a fire extinguisher to be compliant with the company rules, but NBD. I've still got all the goodies off my '12, some need refurb like the shocks, but the 50gal, traction bars and airbags can go right in - I just need to do the job. It's not d3leted...yet.

The extra insurance should be possible, though I need to check into this and it's cost.

I think I'll qualify and should get hired. Certainly can't see any reason why not - other than I live 700mi from the companies.

I hate the thought of racking up a ton of miles on it, but to be frank, I could use some extra cabbage right about now and the idea of making the truck pay it's own way appeals to me.

I'm sure a ton of you guys hot shot, so I thought I'd ask, what do I need to be aware of? Can I actually make $12k/mo doing this or are the blowing smoke up my tail? Are these RV/Boat hauling companies good to their hires or are they nickle and diming you on everything?

LMK and thanks in advance.

20170318_175043Large.jpg

rosspulliam

Reaction score
I've never done it, but I'd be gun shy of anyone claiming $12k monthly driving a pickup truck. Maybe $12k /mo gross and $11k in expenses LOL

I'd look into it pretty carefully before I jumped. I think there's a lot more ex-hot shotters than hot shotters.

Buck1

Reaction score
Be curious as to what input you get. I've always heard you 9nly get paid for delivering loaded and back hauls are up to you to figure out. I have no idea of that is fact or not.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I've never done it, but I'd be gun shy of anyone claiming $12k monthly driving a pickup truck. Maybe $12k /mo gross and $11k in expenses LOL

I'd look into it pretty carefully before I jumped. I think there's a lot more ex-hot shotters than hot shotters.
I'm kinda having doubts about clearing $12k/mo, but
they pay a base of $1.27/mi
if you drive 20 days a mo and 500 mi/day, that's right there

Not really looking to make a career change, just need to fill some holes in the budget.

boggerr

Reaction score
I would ask a lot of questions
If you have to pay insurance they may want a minimum coverage which could be a lot.
I would bet they only pay while you're loaded so any miles unloaded is going to be out of your pocket.
You can probably make decent money but you are going to be putting wear and tear on yourself and the truck. If that truck breaks something your up a creek and being CDL that might limit you on money you make following their guide lines.

Just ask a lot of questions. Maybe Corb will see this and chime in.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I had considered this sort of thing in the past. It seemed best to be listed as a LLC, get insurance (expensive), and stay under 26k gross for any hauling. It was just too much for the insurance for me to get in the pool. Additionally I recall getting a DOT# helped but I wasn't going to need any CDL due to the under 26k weight. I'm no expert on any of it.

bluedge8

Reaction score
I thought you were subject to cdl guidelines, one of which is time on the road driving vs. sitting and doing your "time off". I was talking to one guy years ago and he said you either need a sleeper or you have to rent a room to be legal- I would check into that.

1badpsd

Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting into this, not hauling campers thought. As stated your only getting paid for loaded miles, I've heard a one or two camper hauler companies that will help find a back haul other wise it is up to you. As far as insurance you need 1 million liability minimum 100k cargo. Having a cdl makes things easier cause anymore it doesn't take much to be over 26k.

C2tuck

Reaction score
Used to be a guy in another forum (when I was still driving a cummins) that did this. Had over a million miles on his 12' or 13' dodge. He took the back seat out and put a bed in it. Hauled strictly campers. Gonna definitely put an azz load of miles on your truck. Not sure about the CDL restrictions since you aren't pulling enough weight, you shouldn't have to run logs so your drive time shouldn't matter. I'd make sure I was getting paid for every mile, loaded or unloaded or I wouldn't do it. Would definitely be better with a DRW. You'll need a 5er hitch too I'm sure. If they don't provide it that's another $500-1000 expense depending on what you get. That and a weight distribution hitch cause those biches will sway a ton. Especially if your lifted. Just my 2 cents

C2tuck

Reaction score
I would also see what kind of maintenance (if any) they pay for. And if you do decide to do it keep EVERY receipt for your taxes...maintenance, hotels, food, fuel, EVERYTHING.

Jomax

Reaction score
Your truck will be worth nothing pretty fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Just got a call from one of the companies. All my background stuff cleared and they setup an orientation.

I've still got to figure out the insurance and put all my goodies back on the truck, but I'm absolutely going to give this a try...unless someone hires me for a real job in the meantime.

Again, this is not a career choice, but just an attempt to fill in some holes in my budget.

nbdyspclk

Reaction score
Hopefully they put you under their umbrella policy,which covers ins and D.O.T.#,minus their cut of course,but you will love it,yes mileage on truck,but money to fix it when breaks,some cover fuel,rooms,per diem,just depends,add 5th wheel you will make more.good luck,keep turtle side up

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

TrickTruck

Reaction score
They said they have a contact w/in an insurance co, but it's on me. $500k. This the last big make it or break it hurdle to overcome. My agent doesn't know if my ins co will write for this kind of use. They are the all or nothing kind of ins co. So in order to get house, mtcs, RV, other vehicles, and an umbrella I have to have all my stuff thru them. I got USAA to quote me earlier this year and it would double my annual ins to go elsewhere. So this could kill the deal if I can't find a workaround (if they won't write it.)

If it works and pays ok, I'll buy a 5th wheel, truck has the Ford prep package already.

Yes, of course I'll keep all my receipts. I do that anyway.

Jomax

Reaction score
I wish you Good luck! My uncle hauled cars with an enclosed two car trailer. He cleared about 12k a month. Was gone most of the week. I can't see hauling RVs clear that much. BUT, with RVs you don't need a trailer to purchase. So that's a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Not sure about the CDL restrictions since you aren't pulling enough weight, you shouldn't have to run logs so your drive time shouldn't matter.

If you go across state lines, and are over 17k? (combination weight counts too) I think it is, you need to do trip sheets. Because you are being paid to drive, you're entering into commercial territory. I think its over 13k (combination weight counts too) you need medical, which you said you coverered.

In PA, if you are above the 17k IIRC and exceed 150 miles, you need to fill out trip sheets. If you cross state lines you are now under that states rules, and interstate commerce rules. It would do you well, to find the local DOT officers and stop and talk with them, and ask them what they will site you for. If you do buy a trailer, the rules now state if the gvwr on the truck, added to the gvwr on the trailer are added together and exceed 26k, you need a CDL REGARDLESS of what they combination is registered for.

You will likely also need to register your truck in combination.

At least thats the information I have pryed out around here. (PA) Though most of it should apply because a lot of them are federal rules.

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
I don't need to look at the numbers to know it's a **** deal. You can't make money at $1.27/mi. For that price, you can buy enough fuel to wear your truck out and that's about it.

Real hotshotters pick and combine partial loads. 1 load at $1.27/mi is a crap deal, but cram 3 $1.27 loads on the same trailer and now you are making money. There's no opportunity to build a decent load with RVs because you can only do them one at a time.

I don't want to discourage you, but we haul and subcontract out a lot of hauling. If I could get 17k hauled for $1.27/mi I'd sell my trucks and sub it all out.

Last edited:

C2tuck

Reaction score
If you go across state lines, and are over 17k? (combination weight counts too) I think it is, you need to do trip sheets. Because you are being paid to drive, you're entering into commercial territory. I think its over 13k (combination weight counts too) you need medical, which you said you coverered.

In PA, if you are above the 17k IIRC and exceed 150 miles, you need to fill out trip sheets. If you cross state lines you are now under that states rules, and interstate commerce rules. It would do you well, to find the local DOT officers and stop and talk with them, and ask them what they will site you for. If you do buy a trailer, the rules now state if the gvwr on the truck, added to the gvwr on the trailer are added together and exceed 26k, you need a CDL REGARDLESS of what they combination is registered for.

You will likely also need to register your truck in combination.

At least thats the information I have pryed out around here. (PA) Though most of it should apply because a lot of them are federal rules.

I've got my CDL but have only worked in Texas so I can't give any insights on other states. Here if your over 26k is the only time you have to have numbers and run a log. Again not sure about northern states.

Worked for one crane company that would literally have us pull counterweights on gooseneck trailers with SRW F350's...didn't work out so well on a few occasions. Blew a couple rear tires pulling 24k counterweight plus whatever the trailer weighed. I'm sure they 40' big Tex trailer weighted more than 2k so we were illegal either way.

Go search the Cummins forums or google million mile dodge and contact that guy. I'm sure he'd answer all your questions and then some. Good luck if you go that route.

Latest posts

Members online