Fuel System Replacement and Cleaning

buckster

Reaction score
My truck developed a slight hesitation when cruising at a steady speed and then an intermittent rough idle. No codes found. Injectors appeared fine to a technician with a Snap on scanner at idle. I believe he just ran a contribution test. I replaced the fuel filters and noticed a few specs of metal in the engine mounted filter housing.
After reading several similar threads on here, I don't want to take any chances, so I am replacing the fuel system. What parts are typically ok to clean and or flush? And how are you accomplishing this?
I am thinking the fuel tank and some of the main fuel lines along the frame rail can be reused, but how are you flushing these out? A degreaser like simple green and blow it out with air or is that mixture with water a no no? Is brake cleaner ok on these plastic parts (tank and hoses)? Or are you flushing it with clean diesel?
If I pull the plugs on the cylinder heads and flush out the return port, should it be flushed from front to back or back to front or does it matter? Does this need to be done with the old injectors still in or should they be pulled and the hole to the cylinders blocked somehow?

Latest posts

Members online