Black smoke

Snowdog01

Reaction score
I have a 2008 6.4 with 91000 miles on it. Sometimes I will get blue smoke coming from the exhaust, and it will last for about 2 minutes then quit. Sometimes I can go weeks at a time and on some days it happens two or three times and on other days not at all. My initial thought was I have a bad ring but wouldn’t that cause smoke all the time. Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

tnutcher

Reaction score
Is the factory emissions equipment still installed? Exhaust filter? Crank case vented to intake or atmosphere??

Try pulling off the lower hot side boot between the intercooler and hot side turbo pipe; if there's engine oil in there, more than a cup or 2, you might be having excessive blow by pushing oil into the intake system where it builds up and eventually gets sucked up and burned in the engine. If the truck is making oil, (either through regen or fuel leak) high oil level can cause high blow by, otherwise could be worn rings and compression blowing past the rings.

The making oil can be lessened either by removing exhaust filter and tuning, or cleaning exhaust filter. (Assuming no fuel leak internally, otherwise that would need to be fixed) Also a good CCV mod will help keep oil out of the intake.

If it's blow by from a bad cylinder, that's another problem.

Other than oil in the intercooler from excessive blowby, could be turbo seals...

Hope that helps

nbdyspclk

Reaction score
You regen,during process blueish/white smoke is normal including more so if city driving,take on highway maintain 72 for about 30 seconds,force regen

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Snowdog01

Reaction score
Thank you for all the advice. I do drive 70 plus on the highway regularly, occasionally it does smoke but rarely. Factory emissions and exhaust filter installed. The crankcase is vented to the intake. I’m am making oil so I’m going to clean or replace the exhaust filter then check for oil between the lower hot boot and turbo pipe. Thanks again for the help.

Jim

tnutcher

Reaction score
Thank you for all the advice. I do drive 70 plus on the highway regularly, occasionally it does smoke but rarely. Factory emissions and exhaust filter installed. The crankcase is vented to the intake. I’m am making oil so I’m going to clean or replace the exhaust filter then check for oil between the lower hot boot and turbo pipe. Thanks again for the help.

Jim
How many miles between regens??

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online