6.4 g-h tune down on boost and up on smoke.

Highroller54

Reaction score
Haven't been on the hiway in a while but at full throttle all I am seeing is 30 psi and way more smoke then I am used to. Feels down on power to. I don't hear a boost leak but need to investigate and air filter is clean. Low mile truck runs good, any idea what I should check in the hotel parking lot? Lol
Thanks!! Chad.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
If it's a 6.4 and only building 30psi somthing is wrong. Check for boost/exhaust leaks.

Highroller54

Reaction score
Quick look, no black like exhaust drive pressure leaks, no ripped charge pipes. I don't think my black maxx can check rail pressure (could be very wrong and didn't have time to poke around it yet) brake boosting it sure sounds normal like no leaks. No codes.
Might have to get it home before I can really dig into it. Its strange.

Highroller54

Reaction score
What's rail pressure

What should I be looking for? I'll put it on the scanner this week and go do some pulls.

I'm home now, some pulls it would make 30 psi of boost and lots of smoke, down on power but still moves out ok, maybe like a stock truck would, next pull would be 44 pounds, clean and full power.
I am all ears on ideas. It still has a egr valve and coolers but turned off with the B-maxx and g-h tunes.

Highroller54

Reaction score
Ok koeo
Baro 3.97v
High pressure fuel 0.0
Map 14 psi
Exhaust Back pressure 14 psi

Screwing up, full throttle
30 psi boost on dash
78psi ebp
24,500psi (rounded off) fuel pressure and matches desired perfectly
Map 42 psi (uncorrected)
Egr position 0

I don't have a pid for maf for some reason, pulled and checked, it's very clean.

I am lost. To me it looks mint but obviously is not but I'm not a 6.4 expert. I can pull over then pull out and get on it 44 pounds and perfect, get out of it slow down 20-30 mph, back on 30 psi and smoke.

Any help at all is very appreciated!!! :)

Highroller54

Reaction score
Hooked up my other scanner and the maf is reading but ran out of time and can't say anything other then it's changing when I rev the truck. I've got the flu and 1000 things to do but need to get my beloved 6.4 fixed lol.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Hooked up my other scanner and the maf is reading but ran out of time and can't say anything other then it's changing when I rev the truck. I've got the flu and 1000 things to do but need to get my beloved 6.4 fixed lol.

check the down pipe for oil yet ?

Highroller54

Reaction score
Ok I did not have time to go to the shop today but felt like I should do something so I pulled ebp tube and it's clean, poked the fitting in the mani, it's clean. Pulled the map, its clean, pulled the air intake tube to check the bellows for cracks and wiggle the lp turbo. Looks good.
Still need to pull the down pipe and check for oil but I can make 40+ lbs of boost all day long at ~1/2 throttle climbing a hill. Full throttle not so much or at least most times it won't. Failing oil in the down pipe and I don't "think" there is any (no blue smoke, not loosing oil) I'm lost.

Highroller54

Reaction score
So I ran out of ideas and loaded my h&s hd300 tune and it runs fine. No fooling around with low boost high back pressure and high smoke. I have to assume my truck doesn't have a problem. So where do I go from here?
Reload g-h and try? If it works why? If not why did it work perfect for years?
Can my adaptive memory learn to run poorly and will now be reset so it will run good again? Or can a tune go bad? (This sounds wrong to me) well I have had two f150's that seemed to forget how to idle cold and needed a reflash.

Highroller54

Reaction score
Well got back around to re-loading my g-h tunes and the problem is back. I really assumed it would be good. (Reset the learned vgt in the ecm) I guess it's time to buy a new laptop and see what g-h can write up for me. Obviously something in the truck has changed but looks mint on everything I check. From my understanding a tune cannot just go "bad" although I have seen gas pots that needed a reflash to correct drivability problems just out of the blue.

kcpanages

Reaction score
Well got back around to re-loading my g-h tunes and the problem is back. I really assumed it would be good. (Reset the learned vgt in the ecm) I guess it's time to buy a new laptop and see what g-h can write up for me. Obviously something in the truck has changed but looks mint on everything I check. From my understanding a tune cannot just go "bad" although I have seen gas pots that needed a reflash to correct drivability problems just out of the blue.

If you reloaded the HD300 can tune and it ran fine..... there is an issue with the G-H tune...... a sensor or something is out of wack..........

But one thing I'm curious about..... the control linkage on the turbo for vgt...... is there any slack?

I've seen a hit or miss issue with the gears for the control linkage wearing out.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highroller54

Reaction score
When I played with it before it felt tight and smooth, I wiggled the linkage and swept it a few times with my finger. Springs back nice, pulls forward nice.

kcpanages

Reaction score
When I played with it before it felt tight and smooth, I wiggled the linkage and swept it a few times with my finger. Springs back nice, pulls forward nice.

Something went wrong wit ur tune..... I've seen a tune that needed to be rewrote due to all of a sudden the car didn't like it...... that's my biggest complaint about electronics......

But if it acted perfectly fine with the HD300, I'd see if g-h can rewrite the tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highroller54

Reaction score
Well he said no problem but my laptop died with all my Mcc stuff on it. Soooo I need to get a new one of those and then get the truck fixed lol. I have had some big bills lately so I am working around a few things currently, almost caught up though.
He also said a tune cannot just go "bad"
I will get a new laptop, get gh to write some new tunes (couple things I would like changed anyways) and report back!

Highroller54

Reaction score
So two laptops later I finally got my new tune loaded and it now gets "stuck" at 32 psi and when it works it makes 45 psi. Up a few pounds on both from before.
I'm going to monitor my ebp sensor better tonight but on my way to work this morning it looks mint. Unless the damn thing is just plain reading wrong but no drop outs, looks smooth. I don't understand why my Snap-on scanner doesn't show maf but my autel does.

Highroller54

Reaction score
Quick update. New bps & tube, and a new map both from ford and as suspected no difference. Now I had a few minutes so I hooked the scan tool up again and watched my maf and it stops reading at about 1500 rpm I think it's maxed out but working correct. The weird thing to me is I watched the vgt location today for the first time and it is the same when it's making 40+ pounds as 30 pounds. I very much assumed that the ecu was holding the vgt "smaller" creating the back pressure and egt's from the lack of air. Anything I can think of that would cause that gets eliminated with the fact it works on h-s tuning. I'm more lost now then I was yesterday. Think it's time to sell my tools and go work at mcdonalds.

Latest posts

Members online