Hpfp failure

jpow95

Reaction score
Had customer come in with a stock 2008 6.4 f 350 stalled while driving check ,it has half a tank of fuel ,8 psi on the low pressure side and would only produce 50 psi on the high pressure rail side ,customer didn't want to buy new pump brought in a another hpfp out of his other truck that was wrecked and installed it and after bleeding the system for a couple of hours I get no air bubbles what so ever an I can't even get the system to get any psi on the high pressure side all new harness on the hpfp and new high pressure lines , so as of what I'm seeing for no tail pressure is it pretty possible that I put in one bad pump for another .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpow95

Reaction score
Installed new ford pump hpfp and a air dog 2 165. Gph and now can only get 51 psi to build in the rails no air coming from low pressure side solid fuel from banjo fitting only code is the p2291 opened the rails going to the rails and bled air that is when I got to 50 psi should I have to bleed the rails

Lipka101

Reaction score
Shouldn't have to bleed the rails. Have you checked fuses? I'm not sure if there is one for the high pressure pump but if the harness was chafed it could have popped one. Was there metal in the fuel system from the original pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jpow95

Reaction score
Yes there was a little bit of metal changed out to a new hpfp harness

jpow95

Reaction score
I didn't see any chafing on the old harness

sootie

Reaction score
if there was metal you have a hung injector and it is pouring the fuel into the cylinder. Check the engine oil and see if it has risen or drop it and smell for fuel. If you had a hpfp failure, you need to replace all injectors and lines and clean the low pressure lines and fuel cooler as well.

78f100

Reaction score
What sootie said, plus you could easily be putting metal through your new pumps if there is still shavings floating around the system.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
9/10 times youre not just changing the pump, youre doing the entire fuel system. Everything fuel touches gets replaced if high side or you cant clean it.

new pump is probably smoked with debris. If the job isnt costing ~$9k then its not being done properly. Ive been starting to quote complete and running motors next to a fuel system replacement job

Last edited:

jpow95

Reaction score
9/10 times youre not just changing the pump, youre doing the entire fuel system. Everything fuel touches gets replaced if high side or you cant clean it.

new pump is probably smoked with debris. If the job isnt costing ~$9k then its not being done properly. Ive been starting to quote complete and running motors next to a fuel system replacement job

T4 thank you guys for the info not too big with the 6.4"s thank you again

bigggnick00

Reaction score
Ok new here can really figure out my truck randomly shut off low ICP hook up to scanner and getting aroun 500-600 psi frp crank no start how much does truck need to start can't find any specs on numbers sorry to jump on this post I can't even figure out how to post new topic lol

bigggnick00

Reaction score
While on topic can anyone tell me how much frp is needed to start truck I'm getting around 5-600 psi crank no start code p2291 truck just shut down put new frp sensor on still no start any info would be awesome