6.4 single turbo kit

nickg3130

Reaction score
Morgan, since you've messed with single turbos along with stock appearing turbos, how do you feel about a 71/72 atmo drop in versus a single s300 series turbo?

Reaction score
Morgan, since you've messed with single turbos along with stock appearing turbos, how do you feel about a 71/72 atmo drop in versus a single s300 series turbo?

Honestly I think I has a lot to do with preference. The single turbo has a few things going for it, easy/inexpensive to change/upgrade. Easy to change hpfp or anything on top the engine because of the simplicity. Pretty bulletproof and makes awesome power. The cons are that it spools slower. That can be negated by different chargers, but your still stuck to one turbo instead of compounds.

Power wise, this is one of, if not the strongest stock fuel setup out there IMO.

webb06

Reaction score
Is towing a gooseneck or anything over 8k pounds basically out of the question on a singe?

Reaction score
Yeah the biggest thing is people tend to think by putting a tiny turbine on that it will spool better. That is completely wrong. This truck has a 66/74/.91 and a 6 spd. It will tow just fine. The owner uses it to pull trailers and the truck has a gooseneck. You just can't drive like your unloaded. With a manual he has the ultimate control of it. Pretty slick combo IMO. Now this same truck with a 67/68/.9 housing would drive terrible. When the compressor has the same or more surface area than the turbine wheel driving it you have a big mechanical disadvantage. But a 66/79/1.10 housing would not spool well either. It all is in the sizing.

He'll I've towed 20k+ with my 66/74/.91 on a 6.7 at elevations north of 4000ft. Proper sizing and gear selection make the biggest difference. You can't lock it in OD at 45 mph and expect it to spool.

Last edited:

johnp115

Reaction score
Honestly I think I has a lot to do with preference. The single turbo has a few things going for it, easy/inexpensive to change/upgrade. Easy to change hpfp or anything on top the engine because of the simplicity. Pretty bulletproof and makes awesome power. The cons are that it spools slower. That can be negated by different chargers, but your still stuck to one turbo instead of compounds.

Power wise, this is one of, if not the strongest stock fuel setup out there IMO.

Even over buying a drop in 75/76?
Ive been looking around and researching so in a couple months i can pull the trigger on a new turbo. Now if this is a stronger setup than just a 75/76 atmo and costs what the 75 does...To me it wouldnt make sense to do that cause then i could sell both of my stock turbos...

Good work on that kit though, everything looks awesome and that is a very attractive price.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Compounds are overall better driving and mannerisms. But I can tell you I've built a lot of stock fuel setups. No factory compound can make 50 psi of boost with 55psi of drive pressure even with a gate. So therefore I don't see any possible way that they can make more hp. But the compounds will make more torque and better low end numbers. They are both fun and I sell both. You just gotta ask what you want..... I personally like choices.

Cknox121

Reaction score
A single 66 rips. I got mine on today. Had to give Morgan a call or two for some info, thanks again!

It freaking rips once it spools. Like twice as hard as the factory compounds. Really needs custom tuning though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
Every time I make up my mind about what I want to do to my truck something new like this comes out and I have something else to think about! Lol. Really starting to think about this as an option for me, just wish there was someone local to me with a single turbo 6.4 that I could ride with or possible drive to see if I'd be happy with the spool up...

Sent from a Cummins plant, driving a Powerstroke, with a TDI on the side!

Latest posts

Members online