+08 Tail Lights

PVXCummins

Reaction score
I know this has been done, but in my searching I can't find any solid info on how to complete this.

I am putting 2008+ tail lights on my 2004. Ive heard longer pigtails are needed to extend the harness the reach the lights, since the reverse lights are on the top now. Are new style lights needed as well or I could just extend the existing light sockets to reach. I found a harness on eBay from a 2014 and it says it will work 2008-2017, I don't want to assume this new harness will work without knowing for sure.

I don't have the tail lights in my possession yet, should have them next week so I can't look at them to know if the existing bulbs will work in them.

Thanks

sootie

Reaction score
one of the light sockets is a different size. You will need an 08+ pig tail to complete the conversion.

PVXCummins

Reaction score
one of the light sockets is a different size. You will need an 08+ pig tail to complete the conversion.

So i should probably buy that harness for $50 so i have everything i need huh. Includes pigtails for both sides, all lights.

sootie

Reaction score
So i should probably buy that harness for $50 so i have everything i need huh. Includes pigtails for both sides, all lights.

Yep. It only one of the sockets that's different, i just cant remember which one-sorry!

79jasper

Reaction score
Huh. Apparently mine has 08+ lights.
I need those reverse bulb holders and pigtails. PO had tried something with some sort of LEDs.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

PVXCummins

Reaction score
It’s the reverse bulb socket IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I did get the tail lights in the mail on Friday, but I wont be home to install them until this weekend. Also ordered the harness, so I'll rob the Reverse sockets off the harness and install the whole mess.

PVXCummins

Reaction score
Huh. Apparently mine has 08+ lights.
I need those reverse bulb holders and pigtails. PO had tried something with some sort of LEDs.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Found a harness on eBay for $50 shipped, just has the main connection plug to the truck harness cut, thats the one I ordered. I also saw a harness with the plug not cut for $75, I can try to dig the link up if you are interested.

Last edited:

PVXCummins

Reaction score
Update to the thread. Got the lights installed this weekend. Brake light sockets from my 04 worked perfect. I cut the 921 pigtails off the harness i bought off eBay and wired them into my 04 for the reverse lights. I had to pick up light sockets from Advanced Auto for $16 each to then attach to the new tail lights. Everything works great!!

So for about $185 i swapped tail lights to the new style. I can include parts list and prices for any one interested.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.