Hot side intercooler pipe

curtis270

Reaction score
why is the hot side intercooler pipe banded? anyone removed the bands without damaging the boots? if not what size is the pipe?

curtis270

Reaction score
So for anyone interested in this if you use a dremel and go slow you can cut the band without hurting the boot and just use a 2.5 inch clamp.

curtis270

Reaction score
I dont care who you are 1300 for a set of pipes is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard of you can say R&D and all that other BS but hell even for the original designer of the flanges only wants around 100 bucks for the whole upper intake.

curtis270

Reaction score
lol on there website its 899 for just the y part. so thats at least 800% markup and people continue to pay it :badidea:

jcain

Reaction score
You definitely talk about your abilities more than you show them.

curtis270

Reaction score
lol what abilities have I talked about here? A pic of the intercooler pipes that I did powder coated OD green.

Attachments

• intercooler piping.jpg
    intercooler piping.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 137

sootie

Reaction score
weren't you the guy gonna build a piping kit for 800% less than any other on the market?

curtis270

Reaction score
lmao where does is say that? I just stated a fact and it sounds like yall are getting upset about it sweetheart. If a supplier sells a product at 800% markup and people continue to pay it their not going to lower the price. 3 inch pipe is not expensive nor is copying a flange that is already made so to charge people 1300 USD for it is ridiculous.

White_monster

Reaction score
lmao where does is say that? I just stated a fact and it sounds like yall are getting upset about it sweetheart. If a supplier sells a product at 800% markup and people continue to pay it their not going to lower the price. 3 inch pipe is not expensive nor is copying a flange that is already made so to charge people 1300 USD for it is ridiculous.

So have you priced out the materials to build this yet? The last one I built was $400usd in materials. Takes about 4hrs to cut, prep, and tig weld the pipe. So welding gas, tig rod, and power costs would be about $40. Paying an employee wages during all this would be another let's say $80usd for 4 hrs and I feel that's low. That's $520usd. Now a box, packing, multiple units on the shelf. If the shop has $600 into one pipe would be about right. Now they need to make money so they mark it up. Also more than one employee is going to handle said part.

But good guess at $200 part.

Zeb

Reaction score
So have you priced out the materials to build this yet? The last one I built was $400usd in materials. Takes about 4hrs to cut, prep, and tig weld the pipe. So welding gas, tig rod, and power costs would be about $40. Paying an employee wages during all this would be another let's say $80usd for 4 hrs and I feel that's low. That's $520usd. Now a box, packing, multiple units on the shelf. If the shop has $600 into one pipe would be about right. Now they need to make money so they mark it up. Also more than one employee is going to handle said part.

But good guess at $200 part.

This nails it.

People who complain about custom manufactured parts prices have obviously done little to no fabrication.
I’ve had a number of pieces made (CNC’d out of aluminum and stainless) and while the prices have been a bit surprising, I absolutely refuse to fuss about the price, because they have a lot of money in equipment, they have to make a living, and it is amazing how much time it takes to draw a program and tweak it a couple times to get it perfect.

curtis270

Reaction score
lol ford did all the designing its not a custom flange its copied. if you read the post the y part is the only thing im referring to and its a 200 part tops but you guys keep drinking the hateraide and paying a premium price for your parts and ill keep on being me and getting on forums to find a better way because after all thats what forums are for.

Zeb

Reaction score
lol ford did all the designing its not a custom flange its copied. if you read the post the y part is the only thing im referring to and its a 200 part tops but you guys keep drinking the hateraide and paying a premium price for your parts and ill keep on being me and getting on forums to find a better way because after all thats what forums are for.

Go ahead and build it for $200. It won’t happen if you factor in time, equipment costs, and consumables.

I like building stuff also, but sometimes it’s just better to buy rather than try to build it.

I think we’d all appreciate if you’d stop bitching about how much it costs from someone else and saying stuff like we’re drinking hateraide etc. That sort of an attitude won’t get you much help on this forum.

curtis270

Reaction score
lol all the help I seem to be getting is dont build anything buy it. but I appreciate your concern. Ive said it before and ill say it again my time is worth so little I mow my own grass.

White_monster

Reaction score
lol all the help I seem to be getting is dont build anything buy it. but I appreciate your concern. Ive said it before and ill say it again my time is worth so little I mow my own grass.

I build all my parts. It's rarely cheaper. I built the y pipe for my dad's truck and it cost me $350 in materials. I guess if you make the flanges out of plate and don't cut an oring groove it's cheap. But full machined flanges are not cheap as the cnc travels only so fast.

I want to see your y pipe your planning to build and cost break done of materials and time/supplies. If you show a piece bigger welded together with a mug welder that will explain a lot.

Latest posts

Members online