5 inch exhaust drone or rattle

04redcrew

Reaction score
hey guys

i just installed a flo pro 5in exhaust last week.The exhaust either has a drone or a rattle that occurs right around 1300rpm. Does anyone else have this noise that could help me out on what it is? Does anyone with 5 inch exhaust have the problem to?

Thanks Brad

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
My 5" flo pro on my 6.4 rattles on the transmission cross member, can't see it hitting from underneath but when it's in gear and loaded while driving it rattles, plan on hammering the pipe for more clearance once I put my motor back in.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Spray some black heat paint on the exhaust around the trans crossmember where you think it ribs and it will show up easier.

BK39

Reaction score
hey guys

i just installed a flo pro 5in exhaust last week.The exhaust either has a drone or a rattle that occurs right around 1300rpm. Does anyone else have this noise that could help me out on what it is? Does anyone with 5 inch exhaust have the problem to?

Thanks Brad

If it's rattling, it may be hitting the trans cros member, crawl under the truck and look. But if it's a drone, mine does it too. Low RPM fueling. Annoys the crap out of me. I have looked in to aftermarket mufflers, but have not purchased anything yet.

04redcrew

Reaction score
crawled under the truck tonight and didnt see anything visible. I need to have someone get in the truck and put a load on it to see if the exhaust moves. Or like said about spray paint it with high heat paint and see if i can tell than

dsberman94

Reaction score
crawled under the truck tonight and didnt see anything visible. I need to have someone get in the truck and put a load on it to see if the exhaust moves. Or like said about spray paint it with high heat paint and see if i can tell than

Or let it rub long enough and you'll notice the spot. Then correct it with whatever means suit you.

johnp115

Reaction score
I had practically a big muffler on it, took it off and put a delete pipe to wake it up and that's when the sound started. I like noise haha. But a muffler should fix the drone, will quiet the truck a ton though.

dsberman94

Reaction score
ya i like noise and wont put a muffler on lol. Guess i may just have to get over it lol

Idk how bad you guys have it but I know it's not as bad as mine can be with a 7.3 dual axle dumped. But still only when I'm lugging it at low rpm. Just cruising down the highway it's fine no matter what rpm.

BK39

Reaction score
My 6.4 has that exact same drone. No rattle. But it's like a deep drone around 1300 and right about 1500

I've had them all(6.4, 6.0, 7.3), trust me when I say none of them drone like these 6.7s do. It's annoying.

FWIW, I switched my tunes. And because it changed the shift points in the trans, it's better around town. On the highway, no difference of course.

04redcrew

Reaction score
I've had them all(6.4, 6.0, 7.3), trust me when I say none of them drone like these 6.7s do. It's annoying.

FWIW, I switched my tunes. And because it changed the shift points in the trans, it's better around town. On the highway, no difference of course.

thanks i was thinking about switching tunes. Im running spe street tune with there trans tuning. Im getting ready to give gearhead a try and see if that helps any