Oil preference?

02bigstrokin

Reaction score
I'm about to change the oil in my 14 for the first time and was wondering what everybody likes the best in the 6.7's? I live in nc so it's not super cold. Thanks

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Use what you can afford. I prefer the full synthetics myself. You can get the synthetic blends as well. Stay with brands that are easily found and don't be afraid to buy in bulk when it's on sale.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
If it were me I would not run a 15w40

I would run 10w30 conventional or 5w40 synthetic

texaslimeaide

Reaction score
This is like asking the question "jack or crown". Each guy is gonna have a different response and opinion. It boils down to the fact that you have only a few choices and have to decide what you want to run.

I use Amsoil 15W40 BC they don't recommend the 10W30 as Ford says only use that in non towing conditions and if you're not running biodiesel. I use Amsoil BC its proven itself to our family the last 18 years to make fuel economy increase and engines last longer with less wear.

Really HeavyAssault said it well, use what you can afford. Go with the synthetics if you can afford them. If not a synblend then conventional if those are still too much.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Well.. I'm going to be very brief here. Lol...

It's not a matter of opinion to some. It's a matter of facts of OIL. 10w30 will be perfectly fine for you even if your towing. 15w40 would be for extreme cases.

If your working a truck hard enough to break past the molecular level of 30 weight oil then you really need to consider a class 5 truck and not a toy superduty! Lol

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I've thought about going with 10w30 myself....does anyone run Mobil 1 full syn?

ncollins64

Reaction score
I have switched everything over to the delo synthetic 5w40. I believe Morgan@midwest runs this in everything and I made the switch since I can buy it in bulk from my local Napa dealer.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I've thought about going with 10w30 myself....does anyone run Mobil 1 full syn?

FORD thought about it also. So much so they put it on the oil fill cap! Lol.

In all seriousness the engine does NOT need 15w40.

A 30 weight oil with a viscosity improver of 10 will be plenty sufficient for 95% of superduty owners.

I would run a 5w30 if I could find it without having to ship it in.

maxxedout

Reaction score
I run Rotella 5W40 synthetic and one quart of Lucas synthetic oil additive... I never believed in those additives until we had a customer put 570K on a 6.0L Excursion running Lucas every oil change. Even if you don't run the additive, Rotella 5W40 is pretty good oil in my opinion.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
A 30 weight oil with a viscosity improver of 10 will be plenty sufficient for 95% of superduty owners..

or just run a 5-40 thats already improved lol... why do you think i found out that running the 10-30 with Schaeffers moly ep made the typewriter noise go away? cuz it made it thicker...

i wont run rotella.. it made my 7.3s run like dog chit so i wont touch it. i know i know, apples to oranges but im set in my ways...

live life full throttle

Last edited:

CATDiezel

Reaction score
or just run a 5-40 thats already improved lol... why do you think i found out that running the 10-30 with Schaeffers moly ep made the typewriter noise go away? cuz it made it thicker...

i wont run rotella.. it made my 7.3s run like dog chit so i wont touch it. i know i know, apples to oranges but im set in my ways...

live life full throttle

I have tick with 15/40.

Most 98% of the guys talking about oil don't know the first thing about what there talking about unfortunately.

5/40 is still a 40 weight oil. Just more of a 90 weight at 32*F rather than 115 weight like a 15w. Would be.

Did you perform a cSt test on the moly ep added into the 10w30? If not then you have no idea what it did to the oil at operating temperature.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I have tick with 15/40.

Most 98% of the guys talking about oil don't know the first thing about what there talking about unfortunately.

5/40 is still a 40 weight oil. Just more of a 90 weight at 32*F rather than 115 weight like a 15w. Would be.

Did you perform a cSt test on the moly ep added into the 10w30? If not then you have no idea what it did to the oil at operating temperature.
blah blah blah.. its a viscosity improver. specifically designed for a 7.3 to help limit oil sheer and to stabilize it... dont need a tets to know what it does.. been using it for a couple years as many others have too..

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I have tick with 15/40.

what 15-40 do you run?

live life full throttle

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Didn't rotella quit adding zinc to its blend?

AS far as i know they have not changed anything. Most guys building LS motors run that on the initial break in for the lifters. LS engines in a hydraulic set up have a similar issue with lifter tick.

Latest posts

Members online