Just bought my first 6.7!

03svtsnakevert

Reaction score
Well last week I pulled the trigger and purchased a new to me 2011 f350 with the 6.7. I think the truck is amazing! I had an 01 f250 7.3 before this one and both are great trucks! Hooked up my bass boat two days after I purchased the truck and towed it, very easily I might add, to lake Austin for a fishing tourney! It was a two day tourney that I won!!! After the first day I went back to my hotel room and had to make the block to park.

It was very difficult pulling into traffic because of the grade so I went slowly. After I get into the roadway I accelerate to get in the flow and then shut the throttle down to slow and make a turn. When I did that the truck made a heck of a noise and barely had any power...I was able to get off the service road and park it...I could hear a rattle coming from the top of the motor and the exhaust was bluish...I had ZERO boost...sounds like three days in and the turbo blew

Upon reading more on this truck I found that this does happen a bit because the turbos produced for the 11-14 models were substandard. I guess I'm buying spe's conversion for the 15 model turbo.

Anyone done this?

The dealership I purchased the truck from take no responsibility for this. I understand I purchased a used vehicle but I did not purchase a used piece of junk that would only last 3 days. So on top of purchase price I get to tack on 3k more plus wrestle with the old one to get it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Get with Morgan @ Midwest Diesel & Auto 217-691-1909 for his retro kit. Awesome customer service and great quality pieces.

Swsignal5

Reaction score
Well last week I pulled the trigger and purchased a new to me 2011 f350 with the 6.7. I think the truck is amazing! I had an 01 f250 7.3 before this one and both are great trucks! Hooked up my bass boat two days after I purchased the truck and towed it, very easily I might add, to lake Austin for a fishing tourney! It was a two day tourney that I won!!! After the first day I went back to my hotel room and had to make the block to park.

It was very difficult pulling into traffic because of the grade so I went slowly. After I get into the roadway I accelerate to get in the flow and then shut the throttle down to slow and make a turn. When I did that the truck made a heck of a noise and barely had any power...I was able to get off the service road and park it...I could hear a rattle coming from the top of the motor and the exhaust was bluish...I had ZERO boost...sounds like three days in and the turbo blew

Upon reading more on this truck I found that this does happen a bit because the turbos produced for the 11-14 models were substandard. I guess I'm buying spe's conversion for the 15 model turbo.

Anyone done this?

The dealership I purchased the truck from take no responsibility for this. I understand I purchased a used vehicle but I did not purchase a used piece of junk that would only last 3 days. So on top of purchase price I get to tack on 3k more plus wrestle with the old one to get it out

I have a 15 turbo for sale in the classifieds if you need one.

sootie

Reaction score
I'll do that...is it as good as the spe Kit?

i haven't been in a truck with the SPE and i have ridden in one with the Midwest kit so i'm a little biased LOL but the support after you buy the kit is was impresses me. Morgan will never leave you high and dry if there is an issue and always returns your calls. i have seen multiples of his kits and the quality is fantastic.

There are already guys on here with over 20k miles on his kit and gave good reviews.

03svtsnakevert

Reaction score
i haven't been in a truck with the SPE and i have ridden in one with the Midwest kit so i'm a little biased LOL but the support after you buy the kit is was impresses me. Morgan will never leave you high and dry if there is an issue and always returns your calls. i have seen multiples of his kits and the quality is fantastic.

There are already guys on here with over 20k miles on his kit and gave good reviews.

I left a message at Midwest to get more info

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
Morgan will set you up, his customer service is top notch. Sorry to hear about your troubles but in the end, you'll be happy, especially if you liked how the truck ran before. It runs SO much nicer with a 15 turbo on it. My stock turbo took a dump on me with my boat in tow as well but I was only a mile from home.

Keith

03svtsnakevert

Reaction score
Morgan will set you up, his customer service is top notch. Sorry to hear about your troubles but in the end, you'll be happy, especially if you liked how the truck ran before. It runs SO much nicer with a 15 turbo on it. My stock turbo took a dump on me with my boat in tow as well but I was only a mile from home.

Keith

Yes! I thought the truck drove great! Plenty of grunt where it needs it but runs out nice

What makes the 15 turbo so much better?

I've got a call into Morgan just so I can ask him some questions

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
You lose the waste gate on the 11-14 turbo that gives you the Rick Flair screech when deleted for one(big plus) and the single sequential turbo crap. It's a much more reliable turbo and will make more power for sure. Especially if you plan on deleting in the future. And if you don't tune and delete, the truck will still make a little power, although tuning will make it run more efficient.

Keith

sootie

Reaction score
Yes! I thought the truck drove great! Plenty of grunt where it needs it but runs out nice

What makes the 15 turbo so much better?

I've got a call into Morgan just so I can ask him some questions

its bigger and more reliable. better sound and more power.

03svtsnakevert

Reaction score
You lose the waste gate on the 11-14 turbo that gives you the Rick Flair screech when deleted for one(big plus) and the single sequential turbo crap. It's a much more reliable turbo and will make more power for sure. Especially if you plan on deleting in the future. And if you don't tune and delete, the truck will still make a little power, although tuning will make it run more efficient.

Keith

Yeah I'm already tuned and deleted...looking forward to tackling this job

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
You'll definitely love it then, and with the tuning Morgan can set you up with, you won't be so bummed the stocker took a dump!! Truck is a beast!!

Keith

03svtsnakevert

Reaction score
You'll definitely love it then, and with the tuning Morgan can set you up with, you won't be so bummed the stocker took a dump!! Truck is a beast!!

Keith

Yeah it just has the h&s tune in it now and Morgan said that would be good

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
It will run fine with the H&S tuning. I was running SPE Hot X tuning and then Morgan set me up with Gearhead tuning to compliment the turbo and it was night and day. Makes the truck run smooth, almost stock like and if you give it some fuel, it'll flat out MOVE!

Keith

03svtsnakevert

Reaction score
It will run fine with the H&S tuning. I was running SPE Hot X tuning and then Morgan set me up with Gearhead tuning to compliment the turbo and it was night and day. Makes the truck run smooth, almost stock like and if you give it some fuel, it'll flat out MOVE!

Keith

Wonder how I'd get the h&s tune out to run different tuning being that I don't hCe the tuner

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
I'm not sure how you'd go about that? It's tuned but didn't come with the tuner? You'd probably have to have ford reprogram the pcm and then buy the tuner with custom tunes and go that route but you'd need emissions equipment to make sure it ran after ford reprogrammed it. Unless it's possible to just buy an H&S Mini Maxx but those tunes are vin locked that you have now. Definitely a question above my pay grade, lol.

Keith

03svtsnakevert

Reaction score
I'm not sure how you'd go about that? It's tuned but didn't come with the tuner? You'd probably have to have ford reprogram the pcm and then buy the tuner with custom tunes and go that route but you'd need emissions equipment to make sure it ran after ford reprogrammed it. Unless it's possible to just buy an H&S Mini Maxx but those tunes are vin locked that you have now. Definitely a question above my pay grade, lol.

Keith

Yeah I thought it was odd that there wasn't any tuner that came with the truck....I don't think you can write over it...however I should be fine with the h&s according to Morgan

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
Morgan knows these 6.7's. Let us know what you think of the turbo when you get her up and going again.

Keith

Latest posts

Members online