SCT Strategy Help....

ro3rasher3

Reaction score
I've ran the SCT, Livewire tsp 1505p, canned performance tune(on the fly) since putting my 05' psd on the road a year and a half ago.
I am typical supplied vehicles thru work so my 6.0 was a project investment and the plan was not to move it unto completely bulletproofed, along with several more significant mods.
I got so far and figured I needed to run the rust out of it and just ended up keeping it road ready, driving a few times a week.
Up until two weeks ago I ran the aforementioned tune due to one of the mods I haven't completed is the head studs, should have been first thing I done but fanny vision is 20/20. So I just got the hankering to dicker with my tranny tuning as had been on "normal" the entire time and ran perfectly. Well when I started creating the tranny tuning I went from chirping through 3rd gear to a few different flares. Ive dialed it in where it shifts firm now and it's shift points areretroactive just as you want. Its about as good as I could ask for except the 6th gear flop. Just at a mid speed, low rpm's it flops into 6th, and locks up. Ive tried everything I know to do with no change. The kicker is it never did this before, so just switch back to normal right? Wrong, now its there as well. Any of you programmers or strategy hacks out there had this issue? Really don't want to get into the WOT settings as it rarely sees those conditions. I'm above my pay grade now so any direction will be greatly appreciated. Tow/haul stock engage doesn't help either and just to be clear "custom tunes" isn't a practical solution at this time either but is scheduled as quick as apr's are in.

Thanks....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

sootie

Reaction score
Why are custom tunes not practical....It would solve the issue you are having as well as make more power, safer and get better mileage....

Gear heads SRL tune is perfectly safe for stock head bolt trucks. We have one six oh that does not get babied and is still on stock bolts after running the SRL t up next for 250k miles plus

ro3rasher3

Reaction score
If I trusted myself I'd already have went that direction and I agree 100%. But it is all I can do to keep it out of Extreme now. So the first part of your reply (more horsepower) is why its not practical for me until I get off my can and install the apr's. Believe me, reading these post makes me itch to go ahead and get a custom pack but again, I know me. I will say this, every parameter on mine runs better, lower egt and tranny temps. But hearing the nightmare stories of "its not if, but when" makes me a little wary. My ole man has 450k on an early 04' that two teenagers used as dd's and he's probably rolling as we speak.

ro3rasher3

Reaction score
Not trying to flog a .......but this is aggravating the h. e. double toothpicks out of me. Ive dialed it exactly where I wanted it. Smooth but firm with that 4" t.b. sounding as good as its driving UNTIL, slightly lift in 5th at low rams and there she goes. Ive adjusted all I know how and it will not go back to tne way it was...which was fine. A real buzz kill that's for sure.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Well the shifting will get progressively better. After a flash you sort of start back at the beginning and the trans now has to adapt to all the new shifts. I'd say with time it may get back to where you had it.

I think your logic is flawed with custom tuning. Custom tunes will be safer for your transmission than any canned tune. You can make more power safer, or you can just use a mild tune and enjoy the better transmission tuning to boot. I see no reason not to go with a custom tune, and plenty of reasons to stay away from canned tuning.

sootie

Reaction score
Well the shifting will get progressively better. After a flash you sort of start back at the beginning and the trans now has to adapt to all the new shifts. I'd say with time it may get back to where you had it.

I think your logic is flawed with custom tuning. Custom tunes will be safer for your transmission than any canned tune. You can make more power safer, or you can just use a mild tune and enjoy the better transmission tuning to boot. I see no reason not to go with a custom tune, and plenty of reasons to stay away from canned tuning.

He doesnt get it. I guess real world experience doesnt mean anything :shrug:

sootie

Reaction score
Oh and the head stud brand you keep mentioning is ARP (Automotive Racing Products) not "apr's"

Mdub707

Reaction score
Not a big deal, I can remember first coming into diesels and not understanding it myself. Logic would normally tell you more power is going to be harder on components, but once you realize the custom tunes take better control of that power and put it to the ground more efficiently, then you see the light.

I'm thinking the flaws he's seeing in his current shifting are probably just from the reflash though. I bet if he puts some miles on it it will smooth back out.

Or just load a custom tune... it will probably shift spot on right from the get go.

sootie

Reaction score
my go to on six ohs is gear head tuning and man they SLAM the gears when its first loaded. do the re learn and then drive normal and they soften up for sure,.

but ya-he may just need to put some miles on...

ro3rasher3

Reaction score

Thanks Mdub,

Beginning to come around after all the good comments pointing out the same thing. I'll say again just for clarity, I would love to go ahead and get a bank of tunes that will be adaptive to dd'ing and future mod's, but am I wrong in the basic acumen that more hp will always provide more lift? If so than I'm on board already, but if I get a set of files with one being "have all your affairs in order" and the intent not to engage until studded, I may make it a week before I'm jumped and you know what happens next...especially if its "on the fly". I know there are many ways to make power, but however that may be you are still increasing load. If that's flawed then I'll start looking into the referenced received here. I don't want to buy now and again later if possible. Does any of that hold water because I absolutely understand the bottled tunes actually is the same reasoning we buy good tuners, to avoid the dumbed down factory tuning of the vehicle which is watered down for the populus...basically the canned tune directive..
Back to tranny just a sec, I ran pressures up to max on 5-6 and 20% at 4-5. Would you leave that where it is? Cause Like I said its sweet until the flare into 6. I think I'm probably exaggerating it a little as well since it wasn't as obvious until I ran my exhaust. Many thanks-

ro3rasher3

Reaction score
my go to on six ohs is gear head tuning and man they SLAM the gears when its first loaded. do the re learn and then drive normal and they soften up for sure,.

but ya-he may just need to put some miles on...

I'm gonna just hold fast, I've nursed her like they tell you to directly after flash, believe i'll start letting her eat a little. Thanks Sootie. Looking into some tuning today...may lean on you guys to make final call. I've dropped my looney tune aspirations for now.

sootie

Reaction score
Not sure I follow all the jibberish but cylinder pressure is the main thing that blows gaskets. Good tuners have mastered the correlation between boost, backpressure and timing to reduce cylinder pressure while still netting better mileage and more power. So no, more power does not equal "more lift?" I assume you mean blowing head gaskets.

no need for a "bank" of tunes...buy the single SRL tune from gear head and call it a day. You also wont have to worry about messing with trans settings as it is done in the tune.

Not sure who told you to do what when you load a tune, but this is the best way to get a baseline adaptive memory set in:

0-80 mph 25% throttle 2x.
0-80 mph 50% throttle 2x.
0-80 mph WOT 2x or as many as it needs to shift perfect each time.
Then drive normally.

The key is to run it thru ALL the gears each time, and come to a stop between run to ensure you are starting in 1st gear.

Also, that flare you are experiencing is hurting your clutches every single time it does it...so bear that in mind. A tune may not be so expensive after all...

Reaction score
I'm gonna just hold fast, I've nursed her like they tell you to directly after flash, believe i'll start letting her eat a little. Thanks Sootie. Looking into some tuning today...may lean on you guys to make final call. I've dropped my looney tune aspirations for now.

I have never seen anything good come from adjusting the shifting on an SCT device with any tuning, except for programming the correct rev/mile for your tire size.

Either ******** or Power Hungry can get you the tuning you need. You are no more likely to cause the headgaskets to fail on a canned SCT tune over either of those company's tunes.

ARPs are not the magical fix for the headgaskets on a 6.0. The problem goes back to how they were machined. Brand new Ford heads out of the box can be up to .010" warped. If the head isn't flat the gasket will never seal. Some trucks never have a problem, others you look at sideways on stock tuning and they will push coolant.

Kedstrokin

Reaction score
Just get custom tunes truck will have more power shift better and probably last longer. Or keep running canned tunes rebuild your trans get studs and possibly ruin the new trans with the canned tunes. Listen to these guys I run ******** srl all day everyday 168k on the clock stock trans and stock bolts.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Get a custom tune and don't mess with any of the shift parameters at all. The tuner will take care of that for you.

You could probably get a stud safe, milder street tune that will make every bit of power that the "extreme" canned tune does, but have better shifting to go with it.

ro3rasher3

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback . I never had that Sootie, good stuff, I was instructed only to "nurse it" after making any changes. Going with SRL, apr's are sitting waiting for when I can have it down for a weekend. Luke, I'll second that notion. I was off slightly on the tire size, corrected that and returned values to default and 5-6 is back where it should be. Flare is history and it hasn't locked there. Many thanks

Latest posts

Members online