6.7 pump on the stock fpr and bowl

jrex2506

Reaction score
Got truck down fixing my rusted bed and just got my fuel pump installed. It's a 6.7 stock pump with 1/2 lines. I've got the fittings to tie into the fuel bowl, but is the stock fpr good enough to regulate the 6.7 pump or should I just get a good regulator? I just don't want to mess up the injectors.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

cwilson1539

Reaction score
Got truck down fixing my rusted bed and just got my fuel pump installed. It's a 6.7 stock pump with 1/2 lines. I've got the fittings to tie into the fuel bowl, but is the stock fpr good enough to regulate the 6.7 pump or should I just get a good regulator? I just don't want to mess up the injectors.

Yes it is, i have mine this way. Was having pressure issues that i just solved today actually. They orings in the regulator were blown, but were very old, don't think I've ever replaced them. I've also got 6an lines run to the front and back of heads to feed, to help with supply demands.

But yes, you will be fine. The updated blue spring will probably give you to much pressure, go to an older spring.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

jrex2506

Reaction score
Ok that was my next question since I have the new spring. I'll look for my old one

Mdub707

Reaction score
If you have a blue spring in now, how is pressure going to be any different with the new pump? It's still going to regulate at the same pressure, no? I'd leave it in.

jrex2506

Reaction score
Ok I just don't wanna mess up my injectors. I'm running 190/75 btw

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

Mdub707

Reaction score
You'll be fine. There are rumors floating around about too much pressure ruining injectors, but never any proof. FWIW, I ran 95psi on mine for an entire summer from my veggie system, and no issues. I remember back in the day Rico running his 6.0 (before the Cummins swap) on a progressive controller that ramped up to really high pressures too.

I'd be more worried about pressure being too low, not too high in this case. The blue spring will regulate it just fine. It can't build more pressure than it had before, but the idea is it will sustain that pressure longer without falling off, which is what you really want.

cwilson1539

Reaction score
If you have a blue spring in now, how is pressure going to be any different with the new pump? It's still going to regulate at the same pressure, no? I'd leave it in.
You would think, but when i put in my 6.7 with the blue spring pressure was in the upper 80's. Had to put an older spring in to drop it.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Warren claims anything over 75 psi will blow an injector apart. At least that what they said years ago when we had on bLow apart at 75 psi

jrex2506

Reaction score
Ok, i had an issue with my fuel pressure gauge. Ill just fix it, monitor the pressure and if it gets too high, ill swap back to my old spring. I just upgraded my injectors, i had low fuel pressure which is why i installed the 6.7 pump. I just didn't want to screw them up with too much pressure.
I plan on adding regulated return soon but thats not an option right now.

Mdub707

Reaction score
You would think, but when i put in my 6.7 with the blue spring pressure was in the upper 80's. Had to put an older spring in to drop it.

That is odd. The spring doesn't change so pressure should bleed off at the set point no matter what is feeding it. Though, regulating pressure with the stock setup isn't exactly ideal anyway. A regulated return would do a much better job at this.

Warren claims anything over 75 psi will blow an injector apart. At least that what they said years ago when we had on bLow apart at 75 psi

There have been many claims over the years of hurting them with too much pressure, but I've never seen any hard evidence. Most people have the opposite problem though, which is not enough pressure. Even if it reads 75psi at the bowl, I doubt the injectors are actually getting 75psi. Mine will read 60+ at the bowl and less than 20 behind the heads under throttle.

Ok, i had an issue with my fuel pressure gauge. Ill just fix it, monitor the pressure and if it gets too high, ill swap back to my old spring. I just upgraded my injectors, i had low fuel pressure which is why i installed the 6.7 pump. I just didn't want to screw them up with too much pressure.
I plan on adding regulated return soon but thats not an option right now.

I think that's a good plan of attack. No point in swapping it until you know what you have. Like I said, I've run ~95psi for an entire summer once. Still using those same injectors right now.

Latest posts

Members online