07 shuts off after a few minutes

Diesel625

Reaction score
Helping my cousin with an 07. Completely stock with 198k. Truck takes about 4-5 seconds of cranking before it turns on. The scan gauge reads about 600 then shoots up to 1000-1300 before it starts. It idles fine for about 5-7minutes before it begins to idle rough. The icp stays around 8-900, and is really running rough before it shuts off. I can crank and it slowly hits about 600 before it shoots up to around 1000 and starts. It still runs rough and shuts off again. I tried unplugging the icp and it makes no difference in the pressure while cranking. I did throw the p2617 code. He also said when he first scanned it, it had injectors codes in 1,7, and 8. I checked the ficm and it always maintains 47-48.5 volts. The only thing I noticed is it had the tall oil filter cap, so he went ahead and ordered an Kem motorcraft cap. Any ideas?

bismic

Reaction score
When you change caps, be sure to install an OEM oil filter. A tall oil filter won't do well w/ an OEM cap (things break).

Do you have a known good FICM to try? It is very hard to confirm a FICM is actually working w/ just a scan tool. Seeing the FICM LPower when cranking and FPW (fuel pulse width) would help again a little confidence in the FICM, but not 100% guarantee.

Also, you might start looking into the bubble test for injectors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11LP40nCucA

There is a lot more out there on this subject.

Last edited:

Diesel625

Reaction score
It will crank up in about 10 seconds after it shuts off. I don’t have much time to check it out.

Zeb

Reaction score
It will crank up in about 10 seconds after it shuts off. I don’t have much time to check it out.

Get your fuel filter socket ready, start it, and as soon as it dies shut the key off and loosen the upper fuel filter cap. If it sprays fuel out, you’ve found the problem.

Diesel625

Reaction score
I didn’t have much time to help him on it. He took it to a shop and they found A bad fuel strainer.

Diesel625

Reaction score
That’s what he said. In the tank. It’s been a while since I’ve dropped one of them tanks so I can’t remember if there’s one in there.

Latest posts

Members online