Traction Bars

curtis270

Reaction score
Anyone build there own I see OUO and PMF and the most recommended around here but both of those sets seem pretty steep when it comes to price so im just looking for some pics or ideas on putting a set together.

HobbyStock62

Reaction score
I made my own for like 300 bucks in materials. Used ballistic fab bushings on one end and solid heims on the other. I have pictures on my phone. But its not a complex thing to make. The annoying thing was making the brackets, I made bolt on brackets for the chassis and weld on ones for the rear to save some money, but you can get brackets that will work just fine for not too much more and just weld them on.

Reaction score
If you can weld pretty good then you can make them your self and paint or get them powder coated. I haven't made mine yet but it is on the list of things to do.

curtis270

Reaction score
Im thinking of doing bushings on both ends any negatives to this other then not being ajustable? I understand the concept I built a set for my last truck. just trying to get some ideas on where on the frame yall are mounting I plan on welding both sets of brackets.

sootie

Reaction score
heims are stronger. Only reason you use a bushing at the axle end is to stop the road noise/vibration from transferring directly to the truck chassis and into the cab.

curtis270

Reaction score
ok Thanks didnt realize thats what it was for my last set had heims on both sides and was super noisy on our rural rough roads was just trying to eliminate some of that.

farm boy

Reaction score
There is a guy on one of the Houston facebook groups named Tomas Frendrick that builds them for a decent price. Houston Diesel Scene I believe it is.
He advertises a powder coated set starting at $465 with brackets and hardware. I plan on trying a set from him due to no time to fab my own right now.

jcain

Reaction score
You may be able to build a cheap set but you'll also get the cheap pops and bangs with them too. No thanks.

EPA

Reaction score
You may be able to build a cheap set but you'll also get the cheap pops and bangs with them too. No thanks.

Only if he builds them wrong or uses cheap parts... No noises from a full 4 link here...
I built traction bars for an old dodge I had... No noises... And I guarantee they would hold up better then any that are on the market also built for half the price.
For $250-300 bucks I could build myself a better unit them ouo can offer.

jcain

Reaction score
Cool story. I've also had the other best competitor's 3link and I assure you, there's maintenance involved.

EPA

Reaction score
Cool story. I've also had the other best competitor's 3link and I assure you, there's maintenance involved.

There is absolutely.. All heims wear.. But any part wears.
Also depends on what type of rod end you buy... I did heims on 1 end of the 4 link... And i know those will clunk in the future... No brainer... But there are many styles to choose from some that can go an easy 200k.
Keep bolting parts up buddy.

sootie

Reaction score
There is absolutely.. All heims wear.. But any part wears.

Also depends on what type of rod end you buy... I did heims on 1 end of the 4 link... And i know those will clunk in the future... No brainer... But there are many styles to choose from some that can go an easy 200k.

Keep bolting parts up buddy.
Rookie

EPA

Reaction score
I have ******d my inappropriate comment haha... Working on staying true to my daily devotionals.. But Sometimes I do get fired up no lie... all I'm saying is that it is nice and satisfying to build your own things and its definitely possible to build quality stuff if you take your time... Rookie to diesels yes I am... Usually I left my diesels stock and untouched... Rookie to building cars and trucks not at all.... Do I know it all? not even close... Who does..

Last edited:

jcain

Reaction score
I built my 7.84sec 1/4mile 3800lb car in my garage. Party on garth.

Latest posts

Members online