Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > The Bunker > General Discussion Forum

Old 06-03-2019, 03:58 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Default Ouray/Telluride CO

Well I know it's still early, but I'm planning a trip out there next year in August. Anybody from the area or done the trails out there? I'll be taking my truck. Good places to stay and see while out there? I definitely wanna drive Imogene Pass and some others that are not real technical. Also was wondering if on the trails if I'll need to disconnect the sway bar links and take my traction bars off for clearance. Again, we won't be doing anything that requires any kind of major rock climbing. Some of my friends thinking about coming out don't wanna bring their own trucks out, thinking about just renting from the Jeep rental places lol.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:29 PM
Sponsor
Member's Gallery

Ive been going to that area for a long time with ohvs. Took my superduty last year. going again this year in August as well. Will you be camping or staying in hotel/cabin? Do the people you go with like more touristy towns or more back woods small town stuff?

We camp at mill creek campground up from lake city. We really like Lake City alot. Ouray is a little more to classy for me. and you can forget about Telluride

Last edited by Cutting-Edge Diesel; 06-04-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:57 PM
Sponsor
Member's Gallery

Here are a few of the main trails, lots of off shoots along the way to explore. Only really serous ones you wont want to go down would be black bear, and maybe poughkeepsie gulch. Others will be rough at times and tight but passable. just depends on how much you love your truck. We did both in my truck but im also kinda crazy.

Cinnamon Pass (easy)

Anamas forks (easy)

poughkeepsie gulch (hard)

not sure this trail name but its county road 18 first turn off to the east from Ouray. It has VERY rocky spots. it meets up with the bottom of engineer pass. (moderate)

Black bear pass (very tight switch back and shelf road. Experts only.)

imogene pass, Its no walk in the park its self. But experienced driver wont have issues. (moderate/hard)

Corkscrew pass (easy)

hurricane pass (easy/moderate)

California pass (easy)

Last edited by Cutting-Edge Diesel; 06-04-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:37 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Awesome pics! Not sure exactly yet if I'll be camping or getting a cabin or something and what area we'll be staying yet, I have a while to figure that all out though lol. Just gonna depend on who all goes with our group. If I didn't already have vacation plans for this August, I would be going this year. Yeah black bear and poughkeepsie gulch were the ones I wasn't planning on running. Mostly because the others in my group aren't very experienced offroaders and my truck will suck on the tight switchbacks. Well that, and I would prefer to have a functioning truck for the drive back to Ohio lol. I'm always prepared for things like that though, always have spare parts, tools, and all kinds of recovery gear with me at all times. I've been wanting to go out there for years now, just never planned anything. Definitely gonna plan for a week not during anything like FJ Summit.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:18 PM
Sponsor
Member's Gallery

I missed the whole next year part

If you want cabin rustic type accommodations lake city is your ticket. Lots of cabins and you can ride your OHV in town and to the trails.

Ouray if you want a hotel type place and more shops or want to drive to bigger towns.

Silverton also has some but we have never stayed there.

What does your truck have done to it suspension wise?
Old 06-04-2019, 05:58 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutting-Edge Diesel View Post
I missed the whole next year part

If you want cabin rustic type accommodations lake city is your ticket. Lots of cabins and you can ride your OHV in town and to the trails.

Ouray if you want a hotel type place and more shops or want to drive to bigger towns.

Silverton also has some but we have never stayed there.

What does your truck have done to it suspension wise?
Really not much. 3 inch PMF front hanger kit, rear stock height, but This truck has always sat high compared to other F250s. Sits almost level with my brother's truck. His has a 4 inch lift and 35s. The dick Cepek 295s I have are almost a 35. You can see it sits up pretty good. IMG_20190518_183107478_HDR by greyford79, on Flickr
I'll probably remove the traction bars for clearence. Shocks I'm running Fox 2.0 Reservoirs. Extended braided brake lines. Flexes well with the sways disconnected front and rear. The rear axle I also have a Spider diff rock guard. When off the pavement Iv'e run down to 12.5-15 psi with no issues on tires. Bottom of my step is right around 18 inches from the ground and the bottom of my rocker is right at 24 inches from the ground.

Will definitely go more rustic if we don't camp and shopping will all depend on if my buddies' wives come lol.

Last edited by greyford1979; 06-04-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:55 PM
Sponsor
Member's Gallery

There is shopping in lake city as well.

If you don’t mind taking it slow your truck will be just fine on the main roads. Biggest problem you will have is your size and maneuverability. Lots of tight spots up there especially when meeting someone coming the other direction and switch backs.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:03 PM
Sponsor
Member's Gallery

Also look up lake san Cristobal. Epic lake. They have lodging and several camp grounds. Our favorite campground is few miles up from there.

I would pick up trails illustrated map number 141 as well.

Last edited by Cutting-Edge Diesel; 06-04-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:12 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Awesome, thanks man! This is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:27 PM
Sponsor
Member's Gallery

Also don’t get a rental we make fun of those newbs all day. I would rent a rzr before a jeep any day.

Another thing if you are taking it slow on the trail and some ohvs get behind you pull over when you can to let them by. From experience, It really sucks when you are stuck behind someone slower who doesn’t get over.