Axle differences over the years

Justinlw

Reaction score
Lol.. it probably wouldnt have held up to what i had done to my dually or how i drove it.

live life full throttle

My 6.4 is about to get it’s second Yukon Clutch set in the LSD in a little over a year, I’m going to have to move to some type of locker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

co04cobra

Reaction score
Truetrac bro! They are very stout!

live life full throttle

Totally agreed! Simple, reliable, and they work! You can't tell any difference from a LS unit except that it doesn't wear out and it stays locked no matter how fast you spin it.

Justinlw

Reaction score
Totally agreed! Simple, reliable, and they work! You can't tell any difference from a LS unit except that it doesn't wear out and it stays locked no matter how fast you spin it.

I’ve always avoided auto lockers because of the noise, so I guess they’ve gotten that part figured out? I daily drive the 6.4 and the clicks from the heim joints up front drive me crazy enough.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I’ve always avoided auto lockers because of the noise, so I guess they’ve gotten that part figured out? I daily drive the 6.4 and the clicks from the heim joints up front drive me crazy enough.

Truetrac is worm gear. You will never hear it.

I believe that bigr had them(truetrac) in both axles in Godzilla... and they lived...

live life full throttle

co04cobra

Reaction score
Zero noise from them. I don't think I'm as hard on my stuff as Bigr but I have did donuts in my 6.4 like I've won the dayton 500 and sled pulled it numerous times with zero issues.

Also have them in the front and rear of my 00 truck and I use sled pull it some with no issues.

Rusgo

Reaction score
Interesting stuff. Been awhile since I looked at locking gear.

The difference in cost between a ford locking axle and the same open diff axle is about the same as a trutrac.

Guessing a trutrac with 100k easy miles would look fairly new?

Wonder if anybody has killed one.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Interesting stuff. Been awhile since I looked at locking gear.

The difference in cost between a ford locking axle and the same open diff axle is about the same as a trutrac.

Guessing a trutrac with 100k easy miles would look fairly new?

Wonder if anybody has killed one.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Im sure they have but holy ***! It would take a lot. Many quadruple digit powered trucks have them.

I know my dually wasnt big power but 1200ftlbs of tq thrown at it constantly with the way i drove it and it held up just fine. I have multiple sled pulls and trailer tow burnouts and who knows what else i have done to it since that truetrac was put in and its still rocking strong in Kansas while being hooked to a not so small horse trailer! The just work!! Period!

live life full throttle

powerlifter405

Reaction score
The Truetrac is a "posi" or "limited slip - LSD". It is not a full on locker. That is the Detroit Locker - No Spin.

The thing about the truetrac is, should you ever get one tire off the ground it will spin and your tire on the ground will stay still. Supposedly you can bias it w/ a parking brake to help but if you're stuck or your crossing a bar ditch and one tire has zero resistance you're still screwed.

Yes the truetrac uses worm gearing and the No Spin uses pins/teeth to lock/unlock during maneuvering. I had a No Spin in the 02 and 08 and love'd them. I'll eventually put on in my 05. Drove in MN winters for several years w/o a single issue. I'd run a truetrac up front but never in the rear, for the $100 difference I want full 100% lock up.

Detroit no spin - DET225S-56A
Truetrac - TT 915A550

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The Truetrac is a "posi" or "limited slip - LSD". It is not a full on locker. That is the Detroit Locker - No Spin.

The thing about the truetrac is, should you ever get one tire off the ground it will spin and your tire on the ground will stay still. Supposedly you can bias it w/ a parking brake to help but if you're stuck or your crossing a bar ditch and one tire has zero resistance you're still screwed.

Yes the truetrac uses worm gearing and the No Spin uses pins/teeth to lock/unlock during maneuvering. I had a No Spin in the 02 and 08 and love'd them. I'll eventually put on in my 05. Drove in MN winters for several years w/o a single issue. I'd run a truetrac up front but never in the rear, for the $100 difference I want full 100% lock up.

Detroit no spin - DET225S-56A
Truetrac - TT 915A550
Huh... that's odd. I put over 100k on the trutrac in my dually and never once had an issue where only one side would spin... same concept on icey roads too.. never once did only one side spin..

Bigr used to swear by them too.

I wouldn't run anything else on a street rig.. period..

Offroad i probably would run something else...

live life full throttle

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online