Bearing spun on spindle

EPA

Reaction score
My excursion front wheel bearing spun on the spindle a tad... New bearing slides on to the spindle with very little resistance.. I dont have time to do ball joints and spindle at the moment... What do you all think of the idea of knurling the spindle a bit with a punch or chisel then adding loctite and pressing the bearing on... Just need a quick fix for the next 10k miles. I have done this before and had great success but I would like some advise haha.... I will be towing from Texas to maryland roughly 7k lbs.

co04cobra

Reaction score
It’s 50/50 on it staying. Pack it with highest quality grease you can find. Obviously less heat you push through it the better.

Zeb

Reaction score
My excursion front wheel bearing spun on the spindle a tad... New bearing slides on to the spindle with very little resistance.. I dont have time to do ball joints and spindle at the moment... What do you all think of the idea of knurling the spindle a bit with a punch or chisel then adding loctite and pressing the bearing on... Just need a quick fix for the next 10k miles. I have done this before and had great success but I would like some advise haha.... I will be towing from Texas to maryland roughly 7k lbs.

Knurl it, use green loctite, let it sit 24 hours (preferably with the hub off), and I doubt you could get that bearing off without heating it with a torch.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Make sure it's not the green "low strength" I've seen that stuff before. The green should be something like sleeve retainer.

EPA

Reaction score
Yes, I should have specified the green sleeve retaining loctite.

Yeah that's the one I was also reffering to... Its all done now.. Might take apart the other side just to inspect... Makes me feel better that you guys gave a green light on doing this haha.
The loctite will be a 600 series retaining compound for anyone who maybe looking to do something similar. I had some 609 or 638 sitting around.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.