Overheating?

Magicman129

Reaction score
Just wanted to see if anyone has had any overheating problems while towing, I was towing my camper, up a 6% grade my camper weighs around 12,000 pounds, I had it in 6th gear with the cruise on and converter locked, and the temp gauge got to a certain point, then numbers popped up on top of the temp gauge, and it got to about 235 at the top of the hill, this was running around 70mph, I'm a little bummed my old LB7 duramax would do the same thing on this particular hill, I kinda was hoping it wouldn't have been a problem with the new truck.

This is only about a 5 mile grade, I saw some issues with f150 radiators and wandered if this was also a issue on the 6.7

Jomax

Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry, but I’m sure it would help to bump it down to 5th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DockRocker

Reaction score
Just wanted to see if anyone has had any overheating problems while towing, I was towing my camper, up a 6% grade my camper weighs around 12,000 pounds, I had it in 6th gear with the cruise on and converter locked, and the temp gauge got to a certain point, then numbers popped up on top of the temp gauge, and it got to about 235 at the top of the hill, this was running around 70mph, I'm a little bummed my old LB7 duramax would do the same thing on this particular hill, I kinda was hoping it wouldn't have been a problem with the new truck.

This is only about a 5 mile grade, I saw some issues with f150 radiators and wandered if this was also a issue on the 6.7

The cooling system is totally different than the duramax. The trans is not part of the normal system, it has its own. Apparently you don’t have anything to worry about until 245.

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
May have missed it but were you talking coolant or trans temp?

I have noticed that my transmission gets really hot compared to my 2011, or my 2015, towing 15,000 up 10% grades. Previous ones would run up to 215 ish max. The 2017 got up to 246 going down hill. Exhaust brake on 1st gear. All truck same gear ratio and tire size. Cooled right off once down the mountain on the flats. A bit concerning, don’t think it is normal, based off my previous trucks.

Reaction score

I would try the same hill again with 6th gear locked out, and run it in 5th gear to see what the temp differences are.

Magicman129

Reaction score
Honestly I don't think I have ever even heard the fan run, I'll try sticking it in 5th, that used to help with my old truck, especially if the converter was unlocked.

Jomax

Reaction score
I think Being locked in 6th didn’t help. And I must be honest. Unless your running in your hot tune. That grade isn’t 6%, or your trailer isn’t 12k, for the truck to stay in 6th gear.

Magicman129

Reaction score
It may not be a 6% grade I was trying to find out, it is a long steady grade, it's on I70 west of Frederick Maryland I think it's Braddock Mtn, there is a lookout at the top

6.7w0rkhors3

Reaction score

i have had plenty of over heating issues. Trans, engine temp both reaching 240s. Taken it to the dealer and they dont find anything. They recommend to do a full ****** and add and extra fan to cool the trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jomax

Reaction score
i have had plenty of over heating issues. Trans, engine temp both reaching 240s. Taken it to the dealer and they dont find anything. They recommend to do a full ****** and add and extra fan to cool the trans.

De letting will not make it any better LOL. Pretty bad dealer..

6.7w0rkhors3

Reaction score
De letting will not make it any better LOL. Pretty bad dealer..

I agree, I can ho own about all the damn issues I’ve had with the truck.

Martin #6

Reaction score
Has anybody tried the MPD oil cooler kit to help with the high engine temps these motors are seeing when towing? I had the BPD 1/2 oil kit on my 6.4.

Magicman129

Reaction score
Honestly I think it may be a radiator problem, I saw a video of a guy with a ecoboost f150 towing a small camper at around it's towing weight limit, it was getting to 230 or 240 on f!at road, dealer replaced radiator and he reported temps back in the 215 range

Grey_Matter

Reaction score
did you put in towing mode or just towed it as is? sounds to me like you did the latter, i towed my 24 foot trailer from Great Mills to manassas and didnt have any issues at all, the fact that your truck was in 6th leads me to believe you didnt push the tow button, as soon as i hit a hill my truck would drop to fifth on its own, and my trailer is no where near 12k

AddictedOne

Reaction score

There is a recall on this issue. Mine did this when towing, then did it sitting in traffic. There is a "clutch" in the radiator that is bad in the 17's. My dealer took it in and replaced it. I haven't had any issues since. If they give you crap about it, let me know and I will find out exactly what the part was on it. Good luck with it.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
There is a recall on this issue. Mine did this when towing, then did it sitting in traffic. There is a "clutch" in the radiator that is bad in the 17's. My dealer took it in and replaced it. I haven't had any issues since. If they give you crap about it, let me know and I will find out exactly what the part was on it. Good luck with it.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk
Most likely fan clutch

Latest posts

Members online