1995 Ford F-250 Powerstroke ZF5

sevrin.murin

Reaction score
I've gotta 95 Powerstroke with a ZF5. I've had the truck for about 4 months and ever since I've had it the thing has always hated going into 1st or second. It won't grind if I'm really easy. I wanna change the fluid but I'm not exactly sure which fluid to use. The truck has 287k miles btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bugman

Reaction score
It takes synthetic ATF I'm not sure just how much anymore since I just fill mine with a pump and a 1 gallon jug.

Before you drain the fluid make sure that you can unscrew the fill plug on the drivers side of the transmission. If you can't get it out you will have to pop the shift lever out and fill it from there. Also if the fill plug is hard to get out odds are the drain plug is going to be just as bad.

The grinding it quite possibly the syncros on 1st and 2nd gear going out.

sevrin.murin

Reaction score
Okay awesome thanks. Lol I tried taking the fill plug out and it was giving me some trouble and couldn't quite get it out. So I guess I'll wait I'll I can get it out. Thanks

Bugman

Reaction score
If it is stuck in there good get yourself a 7/8" or a 22mm 6pt socket to get it to break loose. If you use a wrench or a 12pt socket odds are you will just round the head off.

If you have access to a impact wrench either yourself or a friend you should be able to break both of them loose and then go to where you plan on changing the fluid.

79jasper

Reaction score
I had that problem before and ended up just using the shifter hole. Lol
Best to just get the full plug out. Chances are you'll break something on the shifter boot, and it'll never seal right. Lol

Iirc, it's like 3 quarts. Just get a gallon though. If it's 4x4 the case uses the same stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

sevrin.murin

Reaction score
If it is stuck in there good get yourself a 7/8" or a 22mm 6pt socket to get it to break loose. If you use a wrench or a 12pt socket odds are you will just round the head off.

If you have access to a impact wrench either yourself or a friend you should be able to break both of them loose and then go to where you plan on changing the fluid.

Awesome thank you

Rico

Reaction score
If also look into the clutch pedal assembly if you haven't already. Adjusting and installing the heim kit gave me more time before I have to rebuild the tranny