Hydroboost Conversion Done

Peroni

Reaction score
I never did like the feel of the vacuum boosted brake system. After adding custom rear disc brakes I thought a hydroboost conversion would compliment my upgraded braking system. I used parts for a 97 F Superduty and they are a 100% bolt in deal.

Here is my parts pile. Everything is brand new except for the PS Pump with is a new reman. I also added a better ps cooler too.
hydroboost_1.jpg

The old vacuum booster and master cylinder removed. There is lots more room now! I blocked off the old booster vacuum line with a plug.
hydroboost_2.jpg

The new booster is a direct bolt in. Be wary in getting a reman unit as not all of them come with the pedal rod or mounting plate! This one is a brand new Motorcraft part.
hydroboost_3.jpg

New 1 5/16 master on the left, original 1 1/4 master on the right.
hydroboost_4.jpg

The new master came with a revised harness adapter for the cruise control sensor. It's a direct plug in as is the fluid level sensor.
hydroboost_5.jpg

Both brake lines are a direct fit too, no adapters required. The big silver sensor if for my BrakeSmart controller.
hydroboost_6.jpg

New power steering pump. It is the same as the stock one except the reservoir has an extra barb for the second return line. You can also tee into the power return line and keep the stock pump.
hydroboost_7.jpg

Pressure in/out and return lines installed.
hydroboost_8.jpg

I used a Derale frame mount trans cooler for the PS cooler. It mounts with two 1/4-20 bolts and fits on the cross member nicely. To protect it from road debris I used heavy course mesh stainless screen and secured it tightly with wire on the backside.
hydroboost_9.jpg

A Magnafine filter was installed in the return line. In case the pump or steering box ever failed I didn't want the fine passages in the booster getting clogged. It is secured with a 2" standoff pipe clamp.
hydroboost_10.jpg

This project took me about 5hrs. It was awful hot and humid so I had to work slow and take some breaks along the way. Refilled the steering system with Schaeffers transmission fluid, master was topped off with blue ATE brake fluid.

My impressions during the test drive were excellent, pedal feel is firm and consistent with less pressure being required to stop the truck than before. As a test I backed my 25" gooseneck trailer down our steep driveway. I had no problems operating both the brakes and steering at the same time. This was a very easy mod that requires no special tools or any modifications to the parts and the results are a truck that actually stops when I want it! :thumbsup:

oneton

Reaction score
looks good.i am wanting to do this as well.

do you have the part numbers,for the parts you used?what did it cost if you dont mind letting us know?

Peroni

Reaction score
Here are the part numbers

Motorcraft
Master BRMC-39
Booster BRB-37
Pump STP-56RM

Gates
pump to hydro hose 366200
hydro to sterring box 352810
return hose 5' of 350010

Keep in mind with the hoses there is a cut off date of Aug 10 & 11 on what fits what.

Approx cost was $450

Tom S

Reaction score
1 I love that stainless mesh you used. Where did you get that from?

2 Can you explain the cutoff dates?

3 Any idea if you could have just changed out the reservoir on the pump. If those are like the typical they are just retained by the pressure fitting and sealed with one O-ring.

Sweet write up that will go to the library once all the question and answers are done.

Tom

oneton

Reaction score

Motorcraft
Master BRMC-39
Booster BRB-37
Pump STP-56RM

Gates
return hose 5' of 350010

Keep in mind with the hoses there is a cut off date of Aug 10 & 11 on what fits what.

Approx cost was $450

thanks for the info and write up.

no as bad a price as i was expecting

co04cobra

Reaction score
All those parts look to be the same as SD stuff. Any idea on the interchange of SD parts as the ones you bought? Will a stock SD p/s pump bolt on to a obs? Very nice job and write up.

Strokersace

Reaction score

Motorcraft
Master BRMC-39
Booster BRB-37
Pump STP-56RM

Gates
return hose 5' of 350010

Approx cost was $450

Hydroboost part number is BRB-37, correct? What was the cost of it by itself? I have everything else. Also, the ps cooler, what is the part number and cost of that? I would like to add one of those as well.

I need to replace my hydroboost unit. It was from an 02, wasn't a direct bolt-on (had to cut off the mounting studs and re-drill the holes). Plus the rod was too long going to the pedal so I cut it down and rewelded it. Problem is now it is leaking on the inside of the firewall!:doh: My guess is that when I welded it, it burned up a seal it in.

Peroni

Reaction score
Tom the stainless mesh is McMaster item # 85385T832

I think the cut off date is related to the steering gear. My truck was born 11/23/97 so I just ordered hoses for the Aug 10 & newer and they fit fine.

Yes you can just swap the reservoir out, I think Napa lists just the F Superduty reservoir. Think I even put that in there on my webshots pic description. I got my new reman pump for $30 so it wasn't an issue for me.

You guys want sticker shock price everything from :fordoval:, it's almost a grand! :puke:

The only SD part you could use is the pump - I think. RockAuto has the same part number when I searched 97 F450 and 00 F350. Per Strokerace post the booster bolt pattern changed, pedal rod is too long. No idea if the OBS master will fit a SD booster but I'm thinking no. Also SD steering box has metric threads and I think the booster does too? It can be done but for the effort, time and money just getting the F Superduty parts is better.

Brad I LOVE my Brakesmart! Sucks they are not available anymore. Maxbrake is the currently available replacement and I've heard good things about it.

Strokerace BRB-37 is the right number, Ford number is E8TZ-20005-B. My cost was $200 from RockAuto but I see now the price is up to $266??? PS cooler is a Derale 13222 and was under $25.

After putting a good 80 miles on the truck since installing all this I think I have a problem. When warmed up I get a humming or buzzing from direction of the booster, it changes tone when I apply the brakes. Also pedal feel has gotten extremely hard. I can stop the truck on a dime but the effort to do so has increased dramatically. Got stuck in some stop/go traffic and it damn near killed my leg! From my Brakesmart readout I can hit 1300psi of brake pressure where with the vacuum booster it was all I could do to get 700psi. So it's putting out pressure but I really don't like how hard the pedal has gotten to depress. Maybe air still in the system? Pump is filled to proper level and doesn't make any noise, fluid is not all foamy. Thoughts? :confused:

Strokersace

Reaction score
The only SD part you could use is the pump - I think. RockAuto has the same part number when I searched 97 F450 and 00 F350. Per Strokerace post the booster bolt pattern changed, pedal rod is too long. No idea if the OBS master will fit a SD booster but I'm thinking no. Also SD steering box has metric threads and I think the booster does too? It can be done but for the effort, time and money just getting the F Superduty parts is better.

Strokerace BRB-37 is the right number, Ford number is E8TZ-20005-B. My cost was $200 from RockAuto but I see now the price is up to $266??? PS cooler is a Derale 13222 and was under $25.

Yes the OBS master will work on the SD booster. It's recommended to go this route IIRC w/ factory drum brakes as the SD master has a larger bore and something about too much pressure for the drums. But when you go to disks in the rear, then it's fine.

I also ordered the 97 F-superduty lines from Carquest and they bolted up correctly to the HB and the steering box. The stock SD lines (which looked identical) had a different fitting at the box.

And you're exactly right, GO WITH THE 97 F-SUPERDUTY on all items and you're guaranteed fitment. And won't run into the issue I did. In the end, since I ended up needing new lines and now a new hydroboost unit, it's costing me a WHOLE lot more than getting the correct stuff the 1st time.

So... You ordered thru RockAuto and it came in the Motorcraft box? Good to know.

genuineford

Reaction score
Yes the OBS master will work on the SD booster. It's recommended to go this route IIRC w/ factory drum brakes as the SD master has a larger bore and something about too much pressure for the drums. But when you go to disks in the rear, then it's fine.

I also ordered the 97 F-superduty lines from Carquest and they bolted up correctly to the HB and the steering box. The stock SD lines (which looked identical) had a different fitting at the box.

And you're exactly right, GO WITH THE 97 F-SUPERDUTY on all items and you're guaranteed fitment. And won't run into the issue I did. In the end, since I ended up needing new lines and now a new hydroboost unit, it's costing me a WHOLE lot more than getting the correct stuff the 1st time.

So... You ordered thru RockAuto and it came in the Motorcraft box? Good to know.

rockauto gives you a choice of what brand you buy.

Peroni

Reaction score
rockauto gives you a choice of what brand you buy.

:whs: They sell rebuilt boosters from A1 Cardone and Prior plus brand new Motorcraft ones. If you go with a rebuild always ask if the pedal rod and mounting bracket are included!

Seems I still had some air in my system, from what I've read these things can be difficult to bleed. I followed the procedure in the Ford service tech manual and that did the trick. I'm still not thrilled with how hard I have to push on the pedal. I think part of this is me having never driven anything but a 96 F150 and 97 F350 both with the mushy vacuum brakes, I'm kind of used to a soft pedal feel and lots of travel. I also wonder if I should have kept my original 1 1/4 master cylinder and just swapped over the proportional valve from the 1 5/16 master if that would have helped with the pedal effort. Although it's only a 1/16 difference I don't think it would have mattered much? At this point I'm not bothered enough to go find out.

Earlier this week I added some heat reflective sleeving over the rubber on the pressure lines. I was concerned of their proximity to the exhaust manifold.

And while doing some research on the subject of hydroboost brakes I came across this page here which I found very informative.

old man dave

Reaction score

I ordered all of the stuff today (From Rock Auto) and the BRB-37 was $229.79 from the 97 F-SuperDuty online parts listing. On the old catalog listing and the 1996 truck listing it was $266. My receipt showed the $229.79 price.

. BE CAREFUL WHICH PARTS LIST YOU ARE SHOPPING OFF OF

old man dave

Reaction score
Motorcraft

Power Steering Pump STP56RM $138.79 including $40 core charge

Power Brake Booster BRB37 $229.79

Master Cylinder BRM39 $125.79

Gates Hoses

366200 $16.86

350010 $1.34/ft bulk $6.70/5'

352810 $7.88

Above prices plus shipping extra.

Last edited:

old man dave

Reaction score
I must have caught Rock Auto in the middle of doing a price update.:( As of 11:10 tonight PDT

F-SuperDuty 1997
Booster is showing $266.79
Master Cylinder is $136.79

Gates 366200 is $16.92

old man dave

Reaction score
The Aug 10-97 and older truck takes a hydro to gearbox hose, AC Delco 36365930,Gates 365930 ($16.68) instead of the Aug 11-97 and newer's 352810. One of the end fittings is different but the hydroboost unit, master cylinder and power steering pump shows the same part numbers.

The other hose, pump to hydroboost lists the same (Gates 366200, AC Delco 3636880).

Latest posts