build suggestions for a super reliable and make good power.

n54power

Reaction score
I had a opportunity to purchase 2 complete motors from my dad's lumber company
I have one pmr and one forged crank motor. They are 100%.
injectors ,turbos, hpop ext. I really like having a truck with a built trans and basically replaced all worn parts. My thought would be to pick one and strip down.sent it off for it to receive a.oncr over inspection and build it upto a reliable and still have potential for good power.

I know alot will say drop the 38r and youll.be fine.
What I'm looking for better pistons,heads made to flow better ect.

Funding will come from me selling off the parts not needed .

Keeping it simple,give me a rundown pistons,cam,turbo ect?
One thing I have to follow is california rules,sorta. No chrome or heavy powder coating to draw attention to the truck.

While I have the motor out for the built motor going in I'll probably get a better intercooler and aluminum radiator.

]

TyCorr

Reaction score
Huh? How much power you plan on making?

Your "plan" is unclear. Good power to me is 450hp..super reliable? Im gonna assume you mean turnkey reliable and clean running.

My suggestion is hammer out that power number target a bit better. A 175/30 will make 425-450 hp. That would be super reliable and it would be fine in either motor. Run the pmr motor and when it pukes send the injectors in renozzle them to 80% and make 450-500hp.

Id install a fuel system, the injectors mentioned, and run it. If icp won't stay at wot get a t500 or adrenaline...or hbjr...

Reaction score
A 38r would work great with that set up imo^

As far as reliability you really can't beat a seasoned 7.3

160/30s or 175/80s with supporting mods will make a awesome work truck.

CLT2005

Reaction score
I think he's interested in suggestions for the best internals first and then focusing on addressing power.
I don't know much about internal upgrades yet, so hopefully someone can jump in so I can learn too.

Reaction score
cant beat the price for this turn key, dyno proven motor before its shipped to you... that includes a one year warranty..it will cost you damn near that without the warranty to build your own....i see too many people spend that much on a motor build and ether there machinist and/or builder make a simple mistake and the motor is junk.. i don't believe any of them got there money back...these things need to be built right the first time and swamps are the people to do so... http://swampsdiesel.com/prestashop/...engines/831-3l-stock-performance-rebuild.html

n54power

Reaction score
Huh? How much power you plan on making?

Your "plan" is unclear. Good power to me is 450hp..super reliable? Im gonna assume you mean turnkey reliable and clean running.

My suggestion is hammer out that power number target a bit better. A 175/30 will make 425-450 hp. That would be super reliable and it would be fine in either motor. Run the pmr motor and when it pukes send the injectors in renozzle them to 80% and make 450-500hp.

Id install a fuel system, the injectors mentioned, and run it. If icp won't stay at wot get a t500 or adrenaline...or hbjr...

Stupid ass update on my phone. The copy/post didn't take.

Being that I have access to alot of parts,blocks ect I'd like to try and fill all three of these
-be reliable. To me this means that I can drive it 1k miles in one shot and be able to address any issues at your local parts house. No exotic parts or one off pieces.
-power. This isn't a drag truck,or tow machine. I tow in occasion. Offroading on occasion consists of fire roads,snowy passes and some stop light fun

-and yes turn key. So what I want is people think what they would do with lots of complete motors,time and sone extra money to play with.

n54power

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas.
What sparked this build plan is I'm planning on ditching california. Also,nothing make sense to buy.all the new trucks are limited and you have to deal with so many parts that it gets out of hand. An option was a 06-07 cummins. Now before anyone says anything,I know the tranny suck and the other internal cab part's. A built tranny would be first. And you can't deny they ride really nice with a Carli or thuren kit. (My dad has a 2010 that drives a 2500 with thuren.best trip to montana ever)

With leaving cali it opens doors to a reliable very powerful truck. But I'm at a cross road. At 250k things are failing and or getting worn out. I always keep up on maintenance, run quality parts and when a part goes bad I do alot of research on the replacement.
Here's an example- here in California a few years ago we had major flooding. My dept jail/tunnels floaded. Parking lot for all officers was under 6-7' of water. I managed to get cars pulled out,partners home and not one hickup. There were others doing the same. I took the following day off for a full fluid/filter change.
Not one issue.
One 7.3, one 6.0 and a 5.9 blew seals and hydra locked a motor.

cbf9703

Reaction score
I had a opportunity to purchase 2 complete motors from my dad's lumber company
I have one pmr and one forged crank motor. They are 100%.
injectors ,turbos, hpop ext. I really like having a truck with a built trans and basically replaced all worn parts. My thought would be to pick one and strip down.sent it off for it to receive a.oncr over inspection and build it upto a reliable and still have potential for good power.

I know alot will say drop the 38r and youll.be fine.
What I'm looking for better pistons,heads made to flow better ect.

Funding will come from me selling off the parts not needed .

Keeping it simple,give me a rundown pistons,cam,turbo ect?
One thing I have to follow is california rules,sorta. No chrome or heavy powder coating to draw attention to the truck.

While I have the motor out for the built motor going in I'll probably get a better intercooler and aluminum radiator.

]
I guess I'm with Ty... What kind of power are you looking for? Not a drag truck, occasional towing, and light off road why are you worried about pistons or a cam? If these are stock motors, Ty already gave you a good setup to start with and Ron linked you to a very reliable builder.

Stupid ass update on my phone. The copy/post didn't take.

Being that I have access to alot of parts,blocks ect I'd like to try and fill all three of these
-be reliable. To me this means that I can drive it 1k miles in one shot and be able to address any issues at your local parts house. No exotic parts or one off pieces.
-power. This isn't a drag truck,or tow machine. I tow in occasion. Offroading on occasion consists of fire roads,snowy passes and some stop light fun
-and yes turn key. So what I want is people think what they would do with lots of complete motors,time and sone extra money to play with.
You can do all of this with what's already been mentioned, proven set ups. I have no worries driving any of mine cross country, I don't have the patience for a DD truck that isn't reliable. Just put roughly 2k on one this week and it's got over 300k on the clock. If you take care of it and do the supporting mods, there shouldn't be an issue.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
reliable? leave the stock injectors in the forged motor and get some good custom tunes, a 38r and a tq converter/valve body kit for the trans... thats all i would do if i had to do it all over again.

live life full throttle

cbf9703

Reaction score
reliable? leave the stock injectors in the forged motor and get some good custom tunes, a 38r and a tq converter/valve body kit for the trans... thats all i would do if i had to do it all over again.

live life full throttle

Stock injectors? Seriously? :lame: No argument with the rest, but I would get injectors from a reputable builder.

I'm running 175/146 in the PMR motor and have no worries about reliability. Now that being said, my forged rod motors get better injectors. Either way, no stock sticks here.

Arisley

Reaction score
I agree, a nice set of hybrids and a good HPOP, regulated return and pre pump mods. Some good tunes and a solid transmission call it done.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I dont regret my injectors at all. I just don't have trans enough to use em. Im gonna have to get another stg 2 with billet input. Done.

I was planning a full built motor but Ill find another fr motor for now and worry about building a motor when im on terra firma.

I am able to do what I need to with 250/200s but in all honesty the only time anything larger than stock is "needed" is on the highway or getting on the ramps to enter the big roads. In small residential areas you can't be whoopin the shti outta any setup.

But it depends on what you wanna do. Who can tune what and how.

Best advice to give is select known, good parts. Dont choose an srp over a t500 or adrenaline. But if you, the op, are interested in parts counter availability it rules out anything but stock parts. I mean fuel injection system there is no such ability other than stock everything.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Stock injectors? Seriously? :lame: No argument with the rest, but I would get injectors from a reputable builder.

I'm running 175/146 in the PMR motor and have no worries about reliability. Now that being said, my forged rod motors get better injectors. Either way, no stock sticks here.
evidently you dont realize how hard i drive my dually. im sick of working on them. if it has the ability to make over 400hp with a flick of the wrist tgen that is where it will stay and ill drive the fuc outta it... you think i got a delete tuner for the 6.7 with a stock hp tune but deleted like i said i was? sure did but there are 4 more tunes with it... OOOOHH an extreme tune! lets see how this tune runs! hasnt come off that tune since.. lmao
thats just me though... i cant be trusted... so if i have a limt of what stock injectors can do then thats all i can do... and be reliable as ***!

live life full throttle

uncool

Reaction score
I make just a hair under 570 the wheels in CA, passes smog with just turning the chip down.

My new wife drove the truck, pulling our 25 foot boat, 5240lbs,from CA to MO last year by her self with no issues other than the factory FORD alarm being stupid. Then her mother drove it back to CA while we were on our honeymoon.

That was 5500 miles with me NEVER in the truck.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I make just a hair under 570 the wheels in CA, passes smog with just turning the chip down.

My new wife drove the truck, pulling our 25 foot boat, 5240lbs,from CA to MO last year by her self with no issues other than the factory FORD alarm being stupid. Then her mother drove it back to CA while we were on our honeymoon.

That was 5500 miles with me NEVER in the truck.
i dont have the self control. i would have been haulijg that boat the entire trio at a buck twenty...

live life full throttle

n54power

Reaction score
Update-
Motor one was stripped down. Block,heads and crank are on their way to get checked out.
Once I've had a chance to clean up the mess I'll have parts listed. As of right now I'm guessing 2 sets of forged rods,brackets,manifolds ect.
And for someone who might want to drop a 7.3 into something other than a SD I have a complete uncut harness.

Hpop ordered.
A set of the manifolds are getting extrude honed.

I have a guys who says he can make me a set of tube manifolds that would work well with the sinister up pipes. He's using inconel. Yes it's expensive but he owes me a few favors and I have a gun he wants.

Last edited:

cbf9703

Reaction score
Update-
Motor one was stripped down. Block,heads and crank are on their way to get checked out.
Once I've had a chance to clean up the mess I'll have parts listed. As of right now I'm guessing 2 sets of forged rods,brackets,manifolds ect.
And for someone who might want to drop a 7.3 into something other than a SD I have a complete uncut harness.

Hpop ordered.
A set of the manifolds are getting extrude honed.

I have a guys who says he can make me a set of tube manifolds that would work well with the sinister up pipes. He's using inconel. Yes it's expensive but he owes me a few favors and I have a gun he wants.

I thought one was a PMR motor? And the other was 'forged crank' although I assumed you meant forged rod. If you're going to be selling both sets, what are you planning on running for rods?

You're definitely the eager beaver stripping them down, plans to sell rods, and getting a set of manifolds before you can nail down a build goal beyond reliable, power, and turn key. Seems like you took a left turn somewhere with the direction you're headed now, but best of luck with this.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I thought one was a PMR motor? And the other was 'forged crank' although I assumed you meant forged rod. If you're going to be selling both sets, what are you planning on running for rods?

You're definitely the eager beaver stripping them down, plans to sell rods, and getting a set of manifolds before you can nail down a build goal beyond reliable, power, and turn key. Seems like you took a left turn somewhere with the direction you're headed now, but best of luck with this.
what it said^^^
no way wouod i peel the heads of a seasoned forged block! stud it one at a time, push rods, valve springs, hybrids, good hpop, 38r with bellowed uppies, and a built trans with live tunes to get it dialed in right and rock on!!
live life full throttle

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online