What does the Army think....

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
None of the ELC users seem to care that it's not an approved coolant by Ford for some reason? Nitrite levels... (or was it Nitrate)... don't meet spec.
Good point. I haven't read Doug coolant thread in awhile, but I think thats one of the points he was trying to make. IIRC, that was the point when all the conspiracy theories started popping up as to why Ford hadn't changed specs.

Fox'sFord

Reaction score
Here is an interseting read.

International VT 365 engine

A market leader

Click to enlargeThe VT-365 V8 platform has been the market leading mid-range diesel from 2003-2007, in class 3-6 vehicles.
In 2006 and 2007 the manufacturing quality measurements of the VT-365 were the best in our long V8 diesel manufacturing history.
The fuel economy of the VT-365, on average, is 40% better than a gas engine with comparable power. The expected fuel economy will range from 7-10 miles per gallon.

Designed to last

* Premium components, such as cam roller-followers, EVRT turbocharger and the most proven exhuast gas recirculation (EGR) system in the diesel market.
* A mechanical fuel pump is designed to last twice as long as traditional eletric fuel pumps.
* The water pump has no hose connections, eliminating the possibility of leaks.
* Engine block heater standard.
* Standard fuel/water sensor.
* The rear gear train design simplifies the front accessory drive and reduces maintenance costs.
* Standard long-life coolant is designed to last up to 300 thousand miles.

International VT-365 Engine Q&A:

1. Does Gulf Stream Coach use the Power Stroke diesel engine?

No, the Ford Power Stroke engine uses the same block and heads as the VT-365, however, dressed differently. The turbo, injector and electronic configuration are all designed by Ford Motor Company and proprietary to the Power Stroke.

2. What are the differences between Power Stroke and the VT-365?

These are the main differences:

Fuel injection control strategies: The VT-365 uses a unique injection control system designed for optimum performance in applications up to 33,000 lbs. GVWR.

Engine speed: The VT-365 has a lower speed rating of 3000 RPM calibrated for optimum performance in the Class 5-7 vehicles.

Horsepower: the 300hp rating provides a perfect balance between power and durability, satisfying RV customer requirements.

Fuel pump: The mechanical fuel pump for the VT-365 is a premium component designed for long life.

Lubrication system: The VT-365 has a 19-quart oil capacity and enhanced filters that enable a 10,000 mile oil change interval.

3. What is the fuel mileage? Does it change much when towing a trailer behind?

Being a diesel product, you can expect 30-40% better fuel economy than a similarly applied gas engine. Towing a trailer will have an effect on fuel economy, as there is an added load placed on the engine from the increase in weight, axle friction and wind resistance. The effect on fuel economy will depend on the severity of those three factors.

4. Why is the 6.0 liter, V8 Turbo VT-365 International engine the right choice?

Gulf Stream Coach is known for creating recognized industry value, and the goal of the Gladiator and SuperNova product lines was to create the best value at an aggressive price point. The 4200 International chassis with the VT-365 offers power, torque, highest GVWR, improved basement storage and superior towing at competitive price.

Furthermore, the engine was specifically designed for higher duty cycle medium truck applications, making it a great long-term choice for use in RVs.

5. What is the expected life of the VT-365?

The VT-365 comes with a limited engine warranty of 5 years, 150,000 miles. In reference to life, this engine has a B50 life of 375,000 miles in medium truck applications. This far exceeds the typical engine requirements of the RV application.

B50 Life: This means that 50% of the engines at this mileage will require a major overhaul.

6. What other products use the 6.0 liter, V-8 Turbo 365 engine?

Medium-duty trucks produced by International series, including 4100, 4200, MXT, RXT.

International has built thousands of units powered by VT-365 including:

* Ambulances
* Box trucks
* IC Corporation school and commercial buses
* Workhorse W42 stripped chassis (UPS and FedEx delivery)

7. What about the field problems with the Power Stroke?

The Power Stroke is a time-proven winner. In 2003 there were reported field problems with the injectors. This condition was resolved in 2004. Power Stroke reliability and owner satisfaction is actually very close to its high point. The 6.0L Power Stroke continued to gain in market share throughout its life cycle.

SPECIFICATIONS

The economical International VT 365 diesel engine is engineered to maximize cost efficiency with features that optimize performance, reduce emissions and enhance driveability, fuel economy, reliability and serviceability. Available as the exclusive engine for the International 4200, the VT 365 brings real value to your operation. Ratings from 175 to 230 hp and 460-620 lb-ft of torque.

Specifications

Engine Type Diesel 4-Cycle
Configuration V8
Displacement 365 cu in (6.0 liters)
Bore and Stroke 3.74 x 4.134 in (95 x 105 mm)
Compression Ratio 18:0:1
Aspiration EVRT™ Turbocharged
Combustion System Direct Injection
Cooling System Capacity (engine only) 10.8 qt (10.2 liters)
Lubricating System Capacity 19 qt (18 liters)
Total Engine Weight 1,062 lb (482 kg)

Performance Data

Rated/Peak hp------------------------- 175 200 215 230
Rated rpm----------------------------- 2600 2600 2600 2600
Governed Speed rpm ------------------- 2800 2800 2800 2800
Peak Torque (lb-ft) ---------------- 460 520 540 620
Peak Torque rpm------------------ 1400 1400 1400 1400
Peak hp rpm----------------------- 2600 2600 2600 2600
Clutch Engagement Torque@ 800 rpm 340 340 340 340

Preventative Maintenance Intervals

Change Engine Oil, Replace Oil Filter 10,000 mi (16,093 km)/350 hrs fuel/ 1,500 gallons of fuel
Replace Fuel Filter 20,000 mi (32,187 km)
Replace Coolant 300,000 mi (482,803 km)* / 5 yrs/ 12,000 hrs
Valve Lash Adjustment Not Required
*Factory fill is with Texaco Extended Life Coolant using Organic Acid Technology (OAT).

Powerstroked

Reaction score
About time Some one brought this to life

Fox'sFord, thank you for digging this information up. I was sure that I had read in the past that the VT 365 or the "Powerstroke in reliable gear "was serviced with ELC. I have ELC in mine and really love the peace of mind. I have not had any Cooler problems, though I am deleted I still rarely see any EOT and ECT differences above 8 Deg delta with any load placed on the motor. I really think that there are too many people that carry their personal opinion as gospel. Love the Army so far, looking forward to a place where the PSD and Scorpion fans can gather and share info without the impedance of stupidity. :poke:

Last edited:

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
Anybody have a spec sheet on the "Texaco Extended Life Coolant using Organic Acid Technology"?

Id be curious to see that sheet in comparison to the Ford Gold.

Spindrift

Reaction score
ELC all the way. I use the Fleetrite product.

The Gold contains old-fashioned inorganics like silicates, which eventually become insoluble abrasives, one of the reasons why it has a much shorter life than other HD diesel coolants. Plus, the Gold is a universal hybrid, one size fits all coolant. Out of convenience, uniformity, simplicity, and cost savings, Ford uses it in all of their vehicles which, with the exception of your diesel, are gassers.

Ford's Gold is a fine coolant when maintained properly. If you're a blue oval through and through then it might be your choice. You can do better with a HD ELC.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Ok i see a simple solution. Look in the oil cooler and see wtf is clogging it up?

chappy

Reaction score
My oil cooler is plugged at 82k miles so milage I would say is not as important as age since its 7 years old with the motorcraft gold.As soon as I get the cooler changed its getting elc and a filter. I have a slight difference in temps lol.
9d2cdb34.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.