Blue Spring Danger

FirstSixOh

Reaction score
I got lucky today. The project was to install the blue spring. I was starting to remove the return line, but I was unaware that the coupling was bound to the line. In starting to back it off, the fitting that rides between the housing and the return line coupling broke free first. With the return line coupling bound to it, the return line started to twist. I caught it before any damage was done, but if I had been pulling hard, I could easily have twisted the return line 90 degrees and that almost certainly would have broken it. I decided to keep the regulator housing as it was and just replace the internals. There is plenty of play in the return line, with the only issue being you have to be on top of the engine working behind the regulator housing to get all the parts installed. But, my luck held out and the job was finished without any leaks. Truck runs great. Smoother at all RPMs and throttle positions. Well worth the time and money to do this mod. My Ford kit came in a plastic bag with the International kit inside in its own plastic bag. The International label was blacked out. I guess that proves they are the same. Thanks for the help from all who did this mod before and posted their results.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
yes, this happens all the time....

double wrench, all the time....

ezzyke

Reaction score
Ok I am new to this so don't kill me. What is the blue spring for?

4cstr

Reaction score
The stock fuel pressure on some of the earlier 6L's was a little low...around 45'ish psi. When you get to around 42 psi...you can start to do damage to the injectors. The blue spring mod is a re-vamped fuel pressure spring that will up the fuel pressure. I've got the kit for the X...just need to find the time to get it installed. Thanks for the headsup on the line.

ezzyke

Reaction score
Just read up on it. Guess I will do that and the banjo bolts at the same time.

jdc753

Reaction score
I don't know about just the spring, I installed the whole FPR kit.. 65-69 PSI at idle and 55 PSI WOT..

Very nice, what was your pressures like before the changes? Mine will hold 55psi idle but peddling it even moderately hard will quickly drop the pressure.

Atsah

Reaction score
Very nice, what was your pressures like before the changes? Mine will hold 55psi idle but peddling it even moderately hard will quickly drop the pressure.

54 idle and I don't want to know what it was WOT.. I believe the low pressure took out a couple of my injectors.. It's cheap insurance to install the kit if you ask me..

bismic

Reaction score
8C3Z-9T517-AG
REGULATOR KIT

That part number includes the regulator cover (which you most likely do not need).

6E7Z-9C165-B is the number for the spring and reseal kit - it is quite a bit cheaper.

TousleyFordParts has it for apprx $35 - but you have to call them and order it (it is not listed on there web based system).

Mdub707

Reaction score
Mine went up to almost 68psi at idle, and I'm deliberately using the old style fuel filters as well. Bought out my local International dealership. I am measuring fuel pressure behind the heads and I can easily drain pressure down to 25psi on a hot tune. Even on a mild street tune I can drain it down beyond safe levels without issue. I have a brand new OEM fuel pump in there as well.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Mine went up to almost 68psi at idle, and I'm deliberately using the old style fuel filters as well. Bought out my local International dealership. I am measuring fuel pressure behind the heads and I can easily drain pressure down to 25psi on a hot tune. Even on a mild street tune I can drain it down beyond safe levels without issue. I have a brand new OEM fuel pump in there as well.

I'd check for a restriction in tank or lines

Latest posts

Members online