advice on going to a single turbo, SCT

johnnyroastbeef

Reaction score
i have an '09, 6.4 wiht 140k on it and it's showing 3 codes on my Minimax, all 3 are turbo related. it was at the dealer a few months back (for an unrelated issue) and the diesel tech said there was "moisture" around the turbos but no obvious issue. So i'm thinking the turbo seals are starting to let loose.
I see a lot of guys are opting for a single turbo.There is a local shop who is an SCT dealer. I have read that H&S has a very good replacement single kit but being this shop is a SCT dealer, I would like to know if SCT has a kit? and how it performs?

I dont race the truck or sled-pull or anything and no plans to do so in the future. i'm looking for the same level of performance with more reliablility. LEt me know. thanks in advance.

truck is tuned, stock head bolts, egr is gone, *** is gone too

sootie

Reaction score
Firstly i would correctly diagnose the truck. Secondly i would stick with compounds. No SCT doesnt make a single kit.

sootie

Reaction score
Well I guess if you like slower spool, more smoke, less than factory towing manners and having to drive around the turbo to some degree- is a good thing to do....

If power or performance is not the goal, I see no reason to go single.

johnnyroastbeef

Reaction score
Well I guess if you like slower spool, more smoke, less than factory towing manners and having to drive around the turbo to some degree- is a good thing to do....

sounds like good advice. i appreciate it very much. I will take your advice and brnig the truck in to be fully diagnosed too. in the event the turbos do need to be pulled and/or replaced, would you advise to simply replace them with OEM equipment?

sootie

Reaction score
sounds like good advice. i appreciate it very much. I will take your advice and brnig the truck in to be fully diagnosed too. in the event the turbos do need to be pulled and/or replaced, would you advise to simply replace them with OEM equipment?

OEM equipment if you arent looking for performance gain. If you want a nice bump in power, step up to a set of modified stockers that are still drop in but have bigger wheels. Multiple vendors on this site sell them.

ajklaus97

Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08Monster

Reaction score

Yeah I agree with this statement to a point, my single 6.4 never impressed me besides WOT. On a side note, I had tons of issues with the stockers with over boosting, under boosting, doing funny sh*t, etc. So I just wanted to ditch the electronics and go to a fixed vane.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

johnnyroastbeef

Reaction score
i wanted to update this thread with the results, (as i know many guys dont bother once the issue is fixed.) i brought the truck to the dealer and they were zero help. did my own research on this site and found alot of guys had mixed issues related to the EBP sensor. youtube had some vids about it. so i had my mechanic order one and swap it out and the issue is fixed! so for now, small victory. thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. i appreciate all the help.

BravoZulu81

Reaction score
Well that’s the best you could have hoped for!

I guess I was mislead on the singles as well since most claim to spool really quickly and have great driving manners... back to the drawing board for whatever future plans I had lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnyroastbeef

Reaction score
Well that’s the best you could have hoped for!

I guess I was mislead on the singles as well since most claim to spool really quickly and have great driving manners... back to the drawing board for whatever future plans I had lol.

yeah i kinda lucked out on this one, but i do still smell the faint smell of oil when i get out of the truck. so i'm sure it's only a matter of time till those turbos have issues.

yeah i assumed the single turbo was the best option when the stockers let go. but i guess the road manners aren't as good as the duels/stock setup.

Latest posts

Members online