how common is lifter failure .. actually

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Do you work at a dealer? I kinda figured you owned your own shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, just a very small fuel shop. Family owned since 86, but was sold to small corporate 3 years ago. We have several branches around the Midwest mostly.

Sucks we went corpo, I definitely did not agree. But oh well.

Reaction score
LOL yeah I like it. we use ours non stop ! I think we are going to purchase another one here withing the next few weeks but the problem is space in our shop we have outgrown it and makes it hard :( ..

But now back to LIFTERS BOYS!!!:rockon::rockon::rockon:

I think general agreement is to change lifters when the heads are off. Proper machining of the heads and valves helps too.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I think general agreement is to change lifters when the heads are off. Proper machining of the heads and valves helps too.

So, say a customer denies the lifter replacement, which dozens have. I have thought about offering installing new pushrods, which we all know the 6.4s are shorter, and thats all ford offers when it comes to both engines. Would you feel somewhat safer tossing in the new pushrods? Less strain on valve train, which is what I really feel is a big contributor to lifter/cam failure

Reaction score
So, say a customer denies the lifter replacement, which dozens have. I have thought about offering installing new pushrods, which we all know the 6.4s are shorter, and thats all ford offers when it comes to both engines. Would you feel somewhat safer tossing in the new pushrods? Less strain on valve train, which is what I really feel is a big contributor to lifter/cam failure

If they deny lifter replacement with me, they get sent to the local flat bill shop. California has some messed up laws and interpretations of those laws when it comes to auto repair.

They look at it no differently than a vehicle that needs a brake repair but the customer refuses to do it and you let them drive away. I either have to call Highway Patrol and have them come out and tag the vehicle as not legal to drive, or have the vehicle towed out of my shop to remove my liability.

They treat an engine repair the same way. If I know, or should have known, that a certain part is a common failure and advise the customer of it, then the customer refuses to repair it and you don't have a mother****ing book reviewed by 3 lawyers saying that then knowingly refused the repair, you're on the hook for it if they ever get stupid.

Reaction score
As for push rods, if the heads are machined right I don't think it really matters. The ones we take apart that are failed always seem to have a valve guide problem on the cylinder that failed.

IIVonnyII

Reaction score
turns out the failure was a seized roller on a lifter which wiped out the second rear cam lobe. every bearing ( main and rod ) has what I believe to be excessive wear on the torque side of the bearing, all of the babbit is worn off. no brass showing tho. this normal?

ill hopefully have a pic up soon

Reaction score
turns out the failure was a seized roller on a lifter which wiped out the second rear cam lobe. every bearing ( main and rod ) has what I believe to be excessive wear on the torque side of the bearing, all of the babbit is worn off. no brass showing tho. this normal?

ill hopefully have a pic up soon

Most of them we tear apart over 100K miles look like that.

IIVonnyII

Reaction score
I am going to be getting a stage 2 or 3 colt cam yes.

after taking the block / crank / cam to the machine shop.. upon closer inspection, it appears the small end of the con. rod right under the wrist pin/ piston skirt was contacting the counterweight of the crank.. in 3 holes. fairly severely. edge of the rod was mushroomed over right at the top and the bottom of the counterweight looks like it was hit with a 5lb sledge a few times in the same spot.

rod flex? none of the rods looked bent to the naked eye. crank walk cause that? possibility of a bent crank? or just rod flex

Latest posts

Members online