how common is lifter failure .. actually

IIVonnyII

Reaction score
hey guys, top shows it all .. how common is a lifter failure in these motors actually? ive heard a little bit about it but nothing too concrete.

reason for asking ; there was a local ' call out challenge ' of types at a dyno up where I live. bunch of local trucks run what ya brung winner gets all kind of deals.

truck laid down 706 rwhp on fuel , then 857 with a ghetto fog of nitrous.
after the nitrous run, the truck developed a tick . not top end , the sound comes from mid - bottom engine. had fresh oil , pulled the filter cut a chunk out, had metal shavings in it. none of which is magnetic.. so I was thinking possible spun bearing? or could it be the coating on the pushrod along with a collapsed lifter?

truck runs perfectly fine, no hiccups or misses, runs as it should just with a tick like sound. any insight? I will be pulling the engine out as I disintegrated the headgaskets lol .

any thought would be appreciated.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
more common than everyone thinks. Its the number 1 killer of these motors.

Any pics of this metallic debris?

IIVonnyII

Reaction score
its not the best pic.

oil had 50miles on it. didn't run after the event.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Wayne

Reaction score
I've seen like 3 total, and I've been working on these daily since they came out in '03. usually it's high miles and poor maintenance. I would by no means consider it on my top 100 things to worry about when purchasing a 6.0 truck.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
It's in my top 5 big failure list. I've seen so many. And not even ones that were neglected either

Wayne

Reaction score
hmm. weird. Oh, well. Not calling you a liar by any means. It's just interesting. Some problems are regional geographically speaking, and it makes me wonder if this is one of them. Take rust for example LOL Sounds like a bearing died as pertaining to the op's initial question. My guess is rod, and probably took out a couple other bearings with the trash that got pumped through the system. I'm interested to see what the actual cause is.

kwelch08

Reaction score
I had lifter problems, my dads 6.0 had a lifter fail, my cousin, and about 6 other people I know have had lifter failures. Every truck I've seen it on has been taken care of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I have seen 1 in 9 years of wrenching full time and my boss was a ford tech in GA for years and has owned his own shop for quite a few years and said he has never seen it other than the one that was just in the shop here!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
On a maintained truck, the failure rate is around 200k on an abused truck, fail rate in my experience has been as low as 55k up to 175k.

IIVonnyII

Reaction score
truck has 115k miles on it, I bought it 3 years ago with 75k. meticulous maintenance. but I do understand increasing horsepower will usually include premature failure. the shavings looks like a brass and a aluminum. two colours like gold and silver , looks like a jewelry store. did anybody else see the picture I added?

IIVonnyII

Reaction score
Sounds like a bearing died as pertaining to the op's initial question. My guess is rod, and probably took out a couple other bearings with the trash that got pumped through the system. I'm interested to see what the actual cause is.

thanks for chiming in, I will definitely be keeping everyone updated as I pull her apart.

Strokersace

Reaction score
truck has 115k miles on it, I bought it 3 years ago with 75k. meticulous maintenance. but I do understand increasing horsepower will usually include premature failure. the shavings looks like a brass and a aluminum. two colours like gold and silver , looks like a jewelry store. did anybody else see the picture I added?
Nope, can't see it on Tapatalk anyway.

webb06

Reaction score
We've had one 6.0 come through our shop with a failed lifter and cam, 2004 model roughly 200k miles.

And one 6.4 same thing, failed lifter and cam.

Located in Missouri. Full time diesel repair on pickups since 2010, also own about 60 school buses and have never seen one fail in them, international engines in the buses.

A guy that buys and sells a lot of auction trucks in our area sees a train load of lifter failures that he has to repair. Most of his buys are company trucks 6.0 and 6.4 from Oklahoma and Texas though.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Idling is what kills them. The low oil psi the engine sees at idle is the main contributor

webb06

Reaction score
We've had two 6.0 come through our shop with a failed lifter and cam, 2004 models with roughly 200k miles.

And 2 6.4 same thing, failed lifter and cam.

Located in Missouri. Full time diesel repair on pickups since 2010, also own about 60 school buses and have never seen one fail in them, international engines in the buses.

A guy that buys and sells a lot of auction trucks in our area sees a train load of lifter failures that he has to repair. Most of his buys are company trucks 6.0 and 6.4 from Oklahoma and Texas though.

Edited after I remembered a few other trucks

Latest posts

Members online