Injectors won't seat blowing past copper washers

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
OK follow up from previous post. Truck had a slight miss after new heads and studs and installed with no codes and passed power ballence. Tore injectors back out to find 6 out of the 8 were blowing combustion past copper washers. The two that sealed were the two that had the "long" injector cups installed. #6 was the worst and had almost lost the bottom oring. All injector hold downs were still tight when removed and none of the orings were cut.

Upon closer examination the 6 that are leaking all leaked in the same place opposite the the injector hold down bolt. Half the washer is clean and crushed but half is not crushed and leaking badly. Verified the correct hold downs are being used.

When orings (old copper left installed) are removed from the injector and its installed. The bolt feels like it bottoms in the hole and just stops. At this point I can wiggle the injector around and it's clearly not tight. Injectors were reused from old heads and had no issues for 60k. New Motorcraft orings and coppers installed when heads went on.

Machine shop has never seen this and out of ideas. These are supposed to be reworked OE Ford heads.

Ideas before I pull the heads back off?

co04cobra

Reaction score
Same rocker boxes that were used with previous heads? What tq is being used?

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
Yes same rocker boxes. Truck is an 05 with 18mm heads all pre commonized. Torqued to 26ft.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Trying bumping them up to 32 ft/lbs. Are you using a quality tq wrench?

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
Snap-on 3/8" drive digital. It is a customer so I'm hesitant more torque will fix it and don't want to gamble. I've done 26 on all the trucks though my shop and this is the first issue. Its just odd. The wear pattern on the copper washers. Half crushes half doesn't.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Does it have the correct hold downs? I've seen them leaking on a truck that had two 20mm on 18mm heads changed the hold downs fixed the issue

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Sounds like a hold down issue because wrong hold downs will put them down at a slight angle causing what you have going on there

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
I agree it definitely seems like a hold down issue. It currently has the square backed ones and the heads have the off center hole. I actually tried to install a rounded hold down but with the off center hole the rounded ones are too long and I can't even get the bolt to start without cross threading so I'm pretty confident the square ones are correct. When I put the heads on I just used a straight dowel not a steped one so they should be normal 18mm heads.

It really does seem like a hold down issue. The cups look good down there and the machine shop said they only use Ford cups. This issue has alot of people stumped.

I just feel like the hold downs are bottoming on something before the injector is tight.

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
Thought I would update this thread. Turned out to be improperly installed injector cups. I pulled the cab and drained coolant. Removed injector cups and found excessive sealant on the bottom causing the bottom to not allow the injector to seat properly. I cleaned the heads and installed new cups. Installed/ torqued injectors and then removed again to mic the copper washers. Everything checked out. Customer has now put 2k on the truck with no issues.

Members online

No members online now.