Non Chemical Flush Question

03_PSD

Reaction score
Ok guys, I've looked everywhere and haven't found a clear answer. My truck has 58K miles and I've had a coolant filter on for about 10K miles. My deltas are perfect (Usually 6-9* separation running 70-75 mph). I want to change to ELC, but don't want to risk a clogged oil cooler. My question is this, can I do multiple dumps with distilled water and then refill with ELC?

Zmann

Reaction score
yes

i would actually do multiple tap (using an RV filter) flushes

to get the gold and any debris out then drain at all areas and due a few distilled flushes to get the tap water minerals out

then add the concentrate and premix as outlined in the Nylyon procedure

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Distilled isnt that much, $1/gal. And it should only take 3 flushes if you drain and back flush everything. So only like 25 gals of distilled..

skevac

Reaction score
yes

i would actually do multiple tap (using an RV filter) flushes

to get the gold and any debris out then drain at all areas and due a few distilled flushes to get the tap water minerals out

then add the concentrate and premix as outlined in the Nylyon procedure

This is similar to the route I went. I drained the coolant with the drain on the radiator and the drivers side block drain as it's easy to get at. Flushed and drained a couple of times with my city water with a filter. Then filled with the Restore additive and drove the truck for the required amount of time. Drained and flushed a couple of more times with the filter and city water. Then I added distilled water ran it and flushed and drained a couple times and then added my ELC. No problems at this point doing it this way. I'm sure some will argue "NOT THE WAY IT SHOULD BE DONE" but read up on this subject over a lot on here. Some of it is overboard in my opinion. Ultimately it's my truck, I own it and that's the route I decided to take. If it isn't right I'll be the one who'll pay for it in the long run. I can't see a few minerals in the water being anymore of an issue than to keep running that gold coolant. That's just my opinion though. Let the bashing begin!

junglejoe

Reaction score
As Z-Man said.. Using tap water to flush will not hurt anything. I've done it and so has million others also. Save all you can on these trucks, you'll need the money down the road..lol

Latest posts

Members online