5r110w ATF options / opinions

skevac

Reaction score
115,000 miles on the clock looking to do a flush and filter change myself at home. Going to upgrade to the 08 and up style pan and filter. What I'm wanting to know is from the videos I've watched seems most are using the Valvoline Max Life full synthetic ATF. Was also thinking of going that route as it's reasonably priced and readily available at most of the big box stores. Just looking for some opinions from people who have been down this road already. Also from the videos looks like running the external filter is an option when upgrading the pan and filter. I was planning on putting a filter back in there as they are cheap and it just seems like an extra filter couldn't hurt. Any opinions on this would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

sootie

Reaction score
dieselsite makes a nice external trans filter kit. Stick with factory recommended oil-the solenoids are finicky.

skevac

Reaction score
dieselsite makes a nice external trans filter kit. Stick with factory recommended oil-the solenoids are finicky.

What exactly do you mean by the factory recommended oil? Actual Motorcraft ATF? I'm sure all the big name full synthetic ATF oils meet the Ford spec so I'm just trying to clarify.

sootie

Reaction score
i mean oil that meets factory specs. so Mercon or Mercon SP or Mercon V or Mercon LV...i cant remember what the 5Rs take.

skevac

Reaction score
I know for sure that the Valvoline MAXLIFE says on their spec sheet that it meets the spec for Ford Mercon SP.

Strokersace

Reaction score
SP or LV is the only thing for stock 5r's. As sootie said, the solenoids are finicky with anything else. Why risk it?

If the Trans is aftermarket, then go with what the builder recommends.

Zmann

Reaction score
Mercon SP or the later LV is all I run
and while Valvoline has a fluid that " they "State is fine for use where LV or SP is specified
it is no Ford / or Mercon approved

so while Valvoline may be fine I just order my Mercon LV from Sunrise Ford delivered to my door
cheaper than I can find it locally

skevac

Reaction score
Everyone keeps talking about the LV. Which one is supposed to be used in the 5r110w ? Or can you use either one? I thought the 5r110w called for the SP.

Never mind found the answer.
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/atf.pdf

Apparently LV replaced SP. Trying to do the right thing is WAY involved these days! Takes a week of research on the internet to make sure you get the right product and don't get raped in the process!

Last edited:

skevac

Reaction score

Being that I'm getting a lot of good feedback on this subject. Would it be better money spent to stay with my original pan and screen filter and ad this external filter or go with my original plan of upgrading to the newer pan and filter? I know doing both would be best but the upgrades on these trucks are endless but, my cash flow isn't!

sootie

Reaction score
Being that I'm getting a lot of good feedback on this subject. Would it be better money spent to stay with my original pan and screen filter and ad this external filter or go with my original plan of upgrading to the newer pan and filter? I know doing both would be best but the upgrades on these trucks are endless but, my cash flow isn't!

replace whats there and add the bypass filtration.

Strokersace

Reaction score
The Motorcraft LV seems to be cheaper than the SP when pricing online that's why I was asking.
I found this too when getting some through my Ford parts guy last week.

My guess is that because quantities are lower for the SP and it's being phased out/replaced, it's more expensive. My speculation with no hard evidence of that.

Strokersace

Reaction score
What year of pickup is it?

The 6.0s I've had have the in-pan filter as well as a filter in one of the lines up front. It's more of what I'd call a "cotton" filter canister.

Maybe that can simply be replaced with a spin on style like dieselsite sells?

skevac

Reaction score
What year of pickup is it?

The 6.0s I've had have the in-pan filter as well as a filter in one of the lines up front. It's more of what I'd call a "cotton" filter canister.

Maybe that can simply be replaced with a spin on style like dieselsite sells?

05 Excursion same setup as what you are asking about.

skevac

Reaction score
After lots of investigation and questions you guys have answered I've found Motorcraft Mercon LV for only $10 more per case than the Valvoline so, for the only slight difference difference in price I'm going to stick with the OEM fluid. I'll most likely leave the original pan and screen type filter and put that money towards the Dieselsite external filter setup. Now the next question is can I use the Mercon LV in the power steering and the transfer case? My guess is probably not as that would be WAAAAAY to easy to use the same product in all three.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
If you leave the original filter in the pan and replace the bypass with the Dieselsite filter you won't get an effective system. The cooler lines only see 10% of normal flow until the trans warms above 165°F. Before that happens 90% of what normally goes to the cooler is redirected back into the trans instead of going to the cooler. And under most conditions once the thermostat opens, cool fluid from the cooler lowers the trans temp enough so that the thermostat closes again. So most of the time there is not full flow to the cooler. Sometimes aftermarket isn't as good as OEM.

With the improved internal filter 100% of the fluid is filtered all the time.

bismic

Reaction score
Do not use LV in the transfer case. The manual says to use Mercon ATF. Motorcraft sells a specific Transfer Case fluid (XL-12). Mercon V will work I suppose, but Ford published something that said NOT to use Mercon V. I choose to use Royal Purple's Synchromax. It has performed well for well over 100k miles.

Power Steering calls for Mercon V. I use the synthetic Mobil 1 Mercon V.

Last edited:

Zmann

Reaction score
If you leave the original filter in the pan and replace the bypass with the Dieselsite filter you won't get an effective system. The cooler lines only see 10% of normal flow until the trans warms above 165°F. Before that happens 90% of what normally goes to the cooler is redirected back into the trans instead of going to the cooler. And under most conditions once the thermostat opens, cool fluid from the cooler lowers the trans temp enough so that the thermostat closes again. So most of the time there is not full flow to the cooler. Sometimes aftermarket isn't as good as OEM.

With the improved internal filter 100% of the fluid is filtered all the time.

you would get the same or better system IMO
the diesel site unit filters all of the fluid that goes in to it
unless there is a pressure issue then it bypasses (i won't bore with specs)

unlike the OEM remote filter that bypasses most of the fluid

if you leave the OEM pan you still get OEM filtration

the diesel site site unit is nice if you didn't replace your coolers
and had a tranny go out

now switching to the 08++ internal pan filter is great but it's not really "Improved" is it ? it is just using another ford "MY" part where it is not specified for use

another thing maybe Mark would comment on is the apparent fact that if you do an 08+ pan and filter unless you change the cooler lines to an 08+
you have to run the TP filter in the filter manifold otherwise the fluid will not hit the coolers ( path of least resistance and all of that )

Last edited:

skevac

Reaction score
Do not use LV in the transfer case. The manual says to use Mercon ATF. Motorcraft sells a specific Transfer Case fluid (XL-12). Mercon V will work I suppose, but Ford published something that said NOT to use Mercon V. I choose to use Royal Purple's Synchromax. It has performed well for well over 100k miles.

Power Steering calls for Mercon V. I use the synthetic Mobil 1 Mercon V.

Here's the page right out of the owners manual. Read for yourself. Just states Mercon. Then they don't make just Mercon anymore and you can't use the SP, LV or V so what can I use without buying their $10 per quart "transfer case fluid"? What about the power steering? This is ridiculous!

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/05hdwog3e.pdf

Latest posts

Members online