b00stleak

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm gonna be in the market for a 6.0 soon. From what I have been reading, there are certain issues with the early 03-04 engines. Can those be addressed and fixed? I would love to get a 05-07, but those are a little out of my budget from what I'm seeing. I would like to sell my current truck and be able to slide into another with as little money out of pocket as I can. Is it worth spending a little more up front and getting into the new truck and not deal with the earlier trucks?

Thanks guys

b00stleak

Reaction score
I am looking for a CCSB 4x4. Options are kinda not really that important but my wife would like a sunroof, and the digital HVAC unit. I know those are all in the later trucks but I have to be real and think budget. The biggest difference for me is gonna be the front suspension, which can be swapped without too much effort. This is gonna be my wife's daily, and she doesn't want a long bed that's for sure. Our 1 yr old and his car seat are a squeeze in the back seat of my current truck which is the reason for the switch.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Gotcha. Well I'll have one for sale shortly that has the suspension and exterior styling you want, but it's a longbed. Also an xlt so no sunroof or digital hvac. Full engine mods to not have issues down the road...

If it's her daily, why not just just get her an F150? Their crew cabs have more room than a SD back seat. Easier to get the creature comforts she wants. Turn and drive like a car but still have pickup capabilities. Win/win.

b00stleak

Reaction score
We have an 05 Explorer as it is. That's what she drives now. She wants something a little bigger, and I need a bigger back seat. The Explorer will be parked to keep the miles off it. It already has 230k on it. It will be our back up. Whatever truck we do buy, will be kept for a really long time. It's not a necessity to do the upgrade now, but prices are dropping on everyrhing including mine. It just keeps racking up the miles (343k). It's just something we have been tossing around for a while. Might sell both and get a newer truck, but then I will still need a 4wd to get to work when it snows. I don't get to call in for weather and my commute is 90 miles.

Anyway back on topic. What issues do the 03s have that people are afraid of them? Can they be addressed?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
why do people hate the 03/04...?

those were the best motors.

Decker

Reaction score
I loved my 04 f250. In my opinion suspension was much easier and cheaper to work on. Only thing I didn't like was the front clip (lights and bumper). What issues where there different with 03/04 compared to 05+.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Motor wise one isn't any more reliable than the other. There were definitely some changes, but nothing to sway me one direction or the other. I prefer the 05+ trucks just for the coil spring front end, bigger brakes up front, and the styling (of course you can put the 05+ front end on an 03/04). But most of this is preference and doesn't really affect anything. The 05+ trucks will have a sharper turning radius, but usually that's not a deal breaker.

bismic

Reaction score
I agree w/ CTC Deezul - that 03s and early 04s aren't anything to be afraid of!

The 03 and early 04 HPOP's are pretty unreliable. Once upgraded to an Adrenaline pump, that pretty much resolves that issue.

Also, some improvements were made in the injectors in later years which seems to have added some reliability. Might just be aware and when you test drive one, make sure you tell the owner that you want to start it up cold - at least 12 hrs since it was shutdown. Make sure it starts well cold, and then drive it until it is fully warmed up (at least 10 miles). Then make sure it starts up well hot!

I also don't like the smaller water pump of the early model years, but w/ a new front cover, that can be addressed as well.

They all have their own weaknesses and strengths. Getting knowledgeable of them and installing an electronic gauge system can be very helpful! In fact, take an electronic gauge system with you when buying your used 6.0L. Phone apps and an ELM adapter are cheap! I even bring a coolant pressure gauge when I test drive used 6.0L's w/ friends.

Last edited:

b00stleak

Reaction score
Has anyone had any trouble with the wiring harnesses?

Thanks for the insight bismic. I will definitely be bringing a scanner with me, and the coolant pressure gauge is a great idea. That is unless I get one from auction. I would actually prefer to buy a broken truck and fix it to be honest. One that needs a motor would be perfect.

little luke I actually don't mind driving for the right truck and hauling it back, or buying a plane ticket. Just depends on the truck.

This gives me a little more confidence in the early engines. I had a former Ford Diesel Apprentice say that he wouldn't touch an early engine. Hence my questions.