How high is too high on egts?

chaselee

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been beat to death but I couldn't really find the answer I was looking for searching. Today was my first time towing my camper with this truck. Camper weighs about 8k which isn't all that heavy.

Got on the highway and egts instantly went to over 1000 degrees and stayed there just trying to maintain 60 mph. Occasionally spiking to 1200ish just going over an over pass trying to maintain highway speed. I'm used to towing at 70+ and that is not currently possible with this truck. Keep in mind I was being very easy on the throttle, just basically trying not to get run over on the highway.

The truck has 160 injectors, riffraff turbo wheel, 4" exhaust and cold air intake. So what can be done to be able to tow with this truck reliably and not have to worry about it?

dmd

Reaction score
1200 and over is getting too hot..

With that '96 you might need more air, larger turbo and maybe intercooler. Maybe a better
tow tune.

With the 4.10 you should have plenty of RPM though.

Plzstrokeme

Reaction score
1200 or under is fine. Over 1250 for a long period of time is getting into the danger zone.

Do you have an intercooler? If not you should. You should make a boost leak detector and give everything a close look. Also check for pre turbo exhaust leaks.

chaselee

Reaction score
Nope, no intercooler. How do you make an boost leak detector or whatever you said. I had a feeling I'd have to intercooled it, but dayumm! I never thought it would be this bad.

I talked to Dusty at 1023 diesel and he told me to bite the bullet and do a turbo and intercooler. What's recommended?

Last edited:

Plzstrokeme

Reaction score
Something like this. I made one out of a piece of 4" exhaust pipe. https://www.maperformance.com/produ...lJVwQxtTrAsfuT8UmReCOQZvruy6U51RoCRZ8QAvD_BwE

As far as an intercooler goes it depends on what your willing to spend. I highly recommend a t4 kit from irate or Carson and an sxe turbo. You will have all the plumbing needed and then you just need to pick up a 6.0 or 7.3 intercooler. Its not cheap but its the best setup available imo.

Or you can piece together an e99 spider, some superduty intercooler pipes, an intercooler, and use your stock turbo or a drop in like the kctp38r. Not a bad route but you will still need some bellowed up pipes and after its all done the price will be close to what the t4 kit and sxe would have cost.

chaselee

Reaction score
Yeah I would rather buy a kit, then just source an intercooler locally. That way I know I have everything I need.

chaselee

Reaction score
Ok fellas I bit the bullet! Just ordered a 7.3 super duty intercooler, a t4 kit with the BW s364.5sxe turbo kit and an irate efuel kit. Hopefully this will get my egts down so I can tow at whatever speed I want and not have my eyes glued to the pyro the whole trip.

chaselee

Reaction score
So in doing all this I'm looking for cooler egts, but there should be a by-product of more power too right. Any idea how much I should gain?

dsberman94

Reaction score
A slight bump but you’ll be out of fuel because of the stock injectors. I wouldn’t expect too much more than a tune only bump.

Plzstrokeme

Reaction score
I would bet you will feel more power. You will be able to use all the fuel those 160s will deliver and not worry about egts or smoke. It should also have better daily driver characteristics. I still recommend checking for boost leaks after everything is installed. Sometimes the connections need a little tweaking to get them all sealed up.

What made you decide on the 364.5? Is that what Irate suggested?

chaselee

Reaction score
I would bet you will feel more power. You will be able to use all the fuel those 160s will deliver and not worry about egts or smoke. It should also have better daily driver characteristics. I still recommend checking for boost leaks after everything is installed. Sometimes the connections need a little tweaking to get them all sealed up.

What made you decide on the 364.5? Is that what Irate suggested?

That is the one that Dusty at 1023 suggested for what I'm needing and the injectors I had. We went back and forth a litte between the 364.5 and the 366, but he said the 366 wouldn't light as well as the 4.5 with my 160s.

JCart

Reaction score
Nice job chaselee, anyone can buy a new 6.7 it takes true commitment to own an OBS! Good on you, keep us posted on how you make out. And BTW aluminum (as in pistons) start to crack, melt, about 1250 degrees F., pre turbo temp. I’ve made it a habit to try not run mine over 1250 pre turbo. Had a 90 7.3 that I turboed and ran it hard all the time, rebuild time had 6 pistons cracked. From then on was a little more cautious, thing is not to panic if you do just ease out a bit drop EGTs down, shift down (don’t lug it down) and keep the rpms up it’s an air pump after all an keeping rpms higher should have her run cooler then lugging it down.

Dsnerman94 perhaps forgot this is the OBS forum, I don’t think you’ll be running out of fuel... and should feel improvements over previous set up.

j

Last edited:

chaselee

Reaction score
On that trip last weekend, I tried to shift it out of OD and that didn't seem to help at all with egts.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Nice job chaselee, anyone can buy a new 6.7 it takes true commitment to own an OBS! Good on you, keep us posted on how you make out. And BTW aluminum (as in pistons) start to crack, melt, about 1250 degrees F., pre turbo temp. I’ve made it a habit to try not run mine over 1250 pre turbo. Had a 90 7.3 that I turboed and ran it hard all the time, rebuild time had 6 pistons cracked. From then on was a little more cautious, thing is not to panic if you do just ease out a bit drop EGTs down, shift down (don’t lug it down) and keep the rpms up it’s an air pump after all an keeping rpms higher should have her run cooler then lugging it down.

Dsnerman94 perhaps forgot this is the OBS forum, I don’t think you’ll be running out of fuel... and should feel improvements over previous set up.

j

Lol. Yep, i had cracks in all 8 of my pistons, also had at least one valve stamp in them all too.. lol

He is going with efuel on a basically stock truck. Im thinking he ment that with all the new stuff and tuned to maximum effort, that he wont have enough fuel for tge setups potential. Those new sxe turbos are impressive.

live life full throttle

JCart

Reaction score
You’ll have to play with it and watch the rpms and EGTs. Try to keep RPMs above 2500 to keep air pushing through the engine. Really depends on grade, elevation above sea level, tire size, gearing, clean air filter, tuning files, ambient air temps etc.etc. I also put a 6.0 plastic fan on my trucks it’ll bolt right up to our stock fan clutch hub. Much lighter and pulls as I recall way more CFM compared to stocker, and is much easier on waterpump bearing... IC will help and will be interesting for you to compare new set up to see improvements.

j

Plzstrokeme

Reaction score
That is the one that Dusty at 1023 suggested for what I'm needing and the injectors I had. We went back and forth a litte between the 364.5 and the 366, but he said the 366 wouldn't light as well as the 4.5 with my 160s.

I see. Should be a good fit. I only asked because I thought maybe a 363 would be better for 160/0s. I hope to upgrade to an sxe turbo spmeday. I have been debating between the 363 and 364.5.

What turbine and exhaust housing are you gonna run?

Latest posts