Info needed!

Johndeer

Reaction score
So I just recently had a reman installed, and I was wondering if the sinister oil bypass kit would be worth having for extra oil filtration (insurance) lol! Or if y’all think it would be a waste of money? I really can’t afford to get it at this time but will get it if it’s really worth it! Also was wondering if I went that route does there oil filter cap still fit the motorcraft filters the same as the stock filter cap? Thank you for advice in advance, much appreciated!

BS Hauler

Reaction score
I have a 06 and have been researching this also. I am still on the fence about this. I think its better but you are making a lot more leak points. Lots of these trucks with thousands of miles on them without bypass filtration.

jrex2506

Reaction score
I built my own. There are a few threads online showing u how. Anything helps in my opinion. Got bout $100 in mine, not 350.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

rcg270

Reaction score
I went with the Amsoil dual by-pass kit on my 6.7. Although, the truck is fully ******d, I currently have 2500 miles on the most recent oil change and the oil is still transparent.

Johndeer

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice

I have seen the frantz filters as well that are a bit cheaper that use a roll of toilet paper, but I’m not sure of that? Scared the paper or card board would break off in the oil flow and cause problems? Iono

bismic

Reaction score
Have 200k miles on mine. Original injectors, no issues. I do UOA on every oil change (currently at 7500 mile OCI). I personally don't think a bypass oil filter helps much.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
I built my own. There are a few threads online showing u how. Anything helps in my opinion. Got bout $100 in mine, not 350.

Nice job, thats always sweet if you can find a way to DIY.

Have 200k miles on mine. Original injectors, no issues. I do UOA on every oil change (currently at 7500 mile OCI). I personally don't think a bypass oil filter helps much.

I have 305 on mine, almost all oil changes were done by the original owner at Ford until it became mine at 298. But I believe any improvement in filtration will help. Its not a panacea by any means but the cleaner fluid and air can be a helpful tool for someone who wants to cover all bases w/ the plan of keeping their vehicle for an extensively extended amount of miles or time.

Unfortunately I believe a lot of guys drop filtration efficiency w/ HF air filters and expect the oil bypass to clean up the dirt after the fact. You can only increase flow by two means, a reduction in efficiency or increase the size of the filter. I have practically stock blow by at 305 and it has had the Donaldson Blue air filter all 305K. A friend of mine loves K&N airfilters but can't get more than 125k out of his Dodge 5.9 V8 before he has to have it rebuilt. He's on motor #3.

My bad for the rant.

bismic

Reaction score
Nice job, thats always sweet if you can find a way to DIY.

I have 305 on mine, almost all oil changes were done by the original owner at Ford until it became mine at 298. But I believe any improvement in filtration will help. Its not a panacea by any means but the cleaner fluid and air can be a helpful tool for someone who wants to cover all bases w/ the plan of keeping their vehicle for an extensively extended amount of miles or time.

Unfortunately I believe a lot of guys drop filtration efficiency w/ HF air filters and expect the oil bypass to clean up the dirt after the fact. You can only increase flow by two means, a reduction in efficiency or increase the size of the filter. I have practically stock blow by at 305 and it has had the Donaldson Blue air filter all 305K. A friend of mine loves K&N airfilters but can't get more than 125k out of his Dodge 5.9 V8 before he has to have it rebuilt. He's on motor #3.

My bad for the rant.

Do you have a bypass oil filter? I would guess that the original owner didn't .... Ford dealerships seem to hate all aftermarket mods!

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Do you have a bypass oil filter? I would guess that the original owner didn't .... Ford dealerships seem to hate all aftermarket mods!

Nope all stock but always used Ford filters. I had a by-pass on my 7.3 and all my oil analysis came back w/ really low numbers.

On the 6.0/6.4 IIRC Ford sold the patent rights to only a few companies, one being Fram and I've seen the patent # on just one other. And as Jon from Little Power Shop indicated in a sticky, the oil filter size is very specific thus issues can arise from aftermarket due to avoiding patent right infringement.

I installed a Bosch on the 6.0 right after I got it and I had all the issues Jon was mentioning. I took the filter housing off and low and behold the Bosch top had torn off. It was obviously a hair too large as it appeared to have compressed while simultaneously tearing. Either way, Bosch paid for a top end tear down and inspection. I got all new orings, gaskets, stand plugs etc. Thankfully I had less than 500 local hwy miles on that filter.

Back on task, my experience w/ Ford is a majority of them are either stupid or play the voided warranty card. I found 1 dealership that took care of all my issues and even installed my dee-leets. After I drove the 08 hard and blew the gaskets, the mechanic also discovered the heads were cracked and the shop manager had Ford warranty the heads. It took 2 sets to get it done but thats a whole other story.

IMHO If you're really wanting a bypass locate some good DIY threads using HQ bypass filters. I like the bypass options that use Donaldson, Baldwin bypass filters, etc.. If you're ever in a pinch you can almost always find the filters at a local class 8 dealer, truck stop or farm fleet/john deer type dealer.

You can get the tapped filter top and oil fill return from LPS, I have a set and they are on sale every once in awhile. There may even be some redneck cnc'd aluminum options on fleabay as well.

Good luck!

Last edited:

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
I have seen the frantz filters as well that are a bit cheaper that use a roll of toilet paper, but I’m not sure of that? Scared the paper or card board would break off in the oil flow and cause problems? Iono
My dad has one of these on his truck. It's a 84 f350 with the 6.9 idi. It has a tad over 800k on it. He has never had a toilet paper roll come apart. He changes the roll every 5k and fills the roll with fresh oil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

powerlifter405

Reaction score
My dad has one of these on his truck. It's a 84 f350 with the 6.9 idi. It has a tad over 800k on it. He has never had a toilet paper roll come apart. He changes the roll every 5k and fills the roll with fresh oil.

How long has he been using the Franz? I'm curious on blow-by and compression #'s. If using a good airfilter then if it's not beaten on, theoretically those numbers should be reasonable if he's still driving it at 800k. Class 8 trucks go 1million or more so anything's possible.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
He put a racor fuel/water seperator and a Frantz at the same time around 20k. Advice from the CAT service manager at the time. Always uses fuel from same stations. Also never really beat on towed here and there that's about it. It's the original motor never been rebuilt. Strong compression. I checked last time we did glow plugs. On his 2nd transmission and rear end though. He has a gear vendor overdrive behind the old 3 speed transmission. He has put about 5 water pumps and about 5 injector pumps and injector sets in it. He drives 63 miles a day one way. Been doing that for 34 years now.

Last edited:

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Thats awesome to hear. No payments and super cheap insurance. Money stays in your pocket instead of lining someone else's.

Latest posts

Members online