Pulling engine cab on.

Reaction score
How many of you have pulled an engine cab on? Planning on getting all of my kinks worked out before spring rolls around so I need to get the cab off or the motor out. Cab off is my preference but working on getting an open week on a buddies lift. If not more than likely I'll do the job at the house and I'd prefer not to do heads and anything else I do with motor in truck cab on, but will if it comes to that. My question is how many of you have pulled the motor out of the truck with the cab on? I've found a couple of threads on google but all seem to be dated with no live feedback. Input?

6ohstroken

Reaction score
How many of you have pulled an engine cab on? Planning on getting all of my kinks worked out before spring rolls around so I need to get the cab off or the motor out. Cab off is my preference but working on getting an open week on a buddies lift. If not more than likely I'll do the job at the house and I'd prefer not to do heads and anything else I do with motor in truck cab on, but will if it comes to that. My question is how many of you have pulled the motor out of the truck with the cab on? I've found a couple of threads on google but all seem to be dated with no live feedback. Input?

I have, it’s not to bad..but I lifted the cab alittle with two jacks and put 4x4 wooden blocks underneath the body mounts. Then when your pulling the motor you’ll have the angle it forward and twist it towards the driver side to clear the oil pan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6ohstroken

Reaction score
I have, it’s not to bad..but I lifted the cab alittle with two jacks and put 4x4 wooden blocks underneath the body mounts. Then when your pulling the motor you’ll have the angle it forward and twist it towards the driver side to clear the oil pan

10afa3c390e3ec882fc0d86f0b55cb5f.jpg

Reaction score
Good to see someone doing it on here, my question would be though after putting hands on ever cab bolt and lifting it some anyways is there a way to lift the whole dang thing off without a lift. Just would make life so much easier.

JD3020

Reaction score
I'm actually getting ready to do this in the near future and curious as well. Don't have a 2 post lift yet so we're just going to yank the engine out and do it all on a stand. May unbolt the cab and jack it up a little so we can paint the frame as well. I've swapped engines in an OBS 7.3, SD 7.3, and 05 V-10 and they were all relatively simple. Did the 7.3's with a forklift and V10 with a 4klb overhead electric hoist. Hell the OBS i just pulled the radiator and left the whole front-end on. Is the 6.0 that much bigger the cab needs to be lifted a bit for it to clear?

JD3020

Reaction score
Do 6.0's have lift hooks like a 7.3 or do you have to make your own? On the V10 i had to bolt to holes on the front of the block, and the top 2 trans holes from the valley out. I've done plenty of oil changes on em but never actually paid attention to them having hooks or not.

turboTwang6

Reaction score
Did mine without lifting the cab this past spring. It was a pain to get the oil pan to clear when putting it back in but other than that it isn't too bad. Having one of those fancy topside creepers will somewhat save your back. I wish I had one when I did mine. Have to pull the up-pipes to clear the top of the firewall that sticks out over the turbo. My truck being a manual I dropped the transmission before pulling the engine out. Another thing to note is if you don't pull the front bumper like in 6ohstroken's pic above your hoist will have to be all the way extended. It was quite sketchy when I lifted the engine like that. Probably a lot safer to pull the bumper and have the hoist in one notch.

I decided to pull the engine vs. hoisting the cab because I wanted to try and solve some oil leaks I had coming from the oil pan/bedplate area. so regardless of pulling the cab the engine was going to have to be lifted anyways.

Don't skimp on throwing parts at it when its out. If its a higher mileage engine probably should do lifters. I wish I did that when I had mine out. And while your in there put new o-rings on the cam and crank position sensors, much easier to get to when you have the whole front clip and fan shroud off. My cam sensor (I believe) orings were half deteriorated.

turboTwang6

Reaction score
Do 6.0's have lift hooks like a 7.3 or do you have to make your own? On the V10 i had to bolt to holes on the front of the block, and the top 2 trans holes from the valley out. I've done plenty of oil changes on em but never actually paid attention to them having hooks or not.

Yes they have lift hooks.

turboTwang6

Reaction score
Oh - another thing I had a crappy time with was the heat shield between the up-pipes and engine. take that stupid thing off before pulling engine so you don't impatiently mangle it with a crowbar like I did lol. :hammer:

slc6oh

Reaction score
back when I did my head stud job when I had the 6l I pulled the engine. left the trans in the truck, pulled the turbo, and up pipes. alternator, and oil filter housing, ficm, coolant res and mount bracket then everything in front of the engine, right side engine mount gave me ****, ac compressor sucked, then wiring between block and motor mount, but other than that it really wasn't bad... I started at like 7am, had the engine hanging from the overhead hoist by like noon. going back in was worse, getting the converter/flexplate lined up while getting the oil pan over the cross member was a chore. looking back, would have prob been time ahead to pull the trans out of the truck completely then re-install it after the engines in. all in all, if I were to ever have to do a 6l head gasket job again, id still pull the engine if lifting the cab wasn't an option.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
As stated no need to lift the cab. Hell, you dont even need to pull as mich **** as was pulled in the picture. Do not, and i repeat DO NOT use the lift hooks. They are weak as *** and make pulling valve covers later a mother ***ker as they bend like nothing. Turbo, up pipes, alternator, oil filter housing (not necessary, but makes hanging it easier), radiator, fan ans stator, core support, and cac need to come out. Take the turbo pedestal off and i pull the egr cooler ojtlet off the oil cooler. Run a chain using the 2 front pedestal bolt holes, and run it fairly short. Motor come out really easy.

sootie

Reaction score
i've never understood all the guys that say "no need to lift the cab" like its a bad thing. Two post lifts can be had for less than 2500.00. Once you have done a couple cabs they can be up in 40-60 minutes. Sure as heck beats topside creepers, gashed forearms, and needing the entire snap-on truck in your driveway to have the exact combination of swivel ratchets, wobbly sockets and multiple extensions. Its so easy to leisurely walk around the engine and do what needs to be done at working height, with a sheet of plywood across the frame to hold all the parts you remove and your tools...all the excuses guys say why they cant get lift time is, i bet, largely because they are scared of whats involved in lifting the cab. Go easy on yourself and do it the right way :priest:

oh and if you need advice on how to do the repairs cab on, hit up CTC DEEZUL , he seems to have it down to a science.

Last edited:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
i've never understood all the guys that say "no need to lift the cab" like its a bad thing. Two post lifts can be had for less than 2500.00. Once you have done a couple cabs they can be up in 40-60 minutes. Sure as heck beats topside creepers, gashed forearms, and needing the entire snap-on truck in your driveway to have the exact combination of swivel ratchets, wobbly sockets and multiple extensions. Its so easy to leisurely walk around the engine and do what needs to be done at working height, with a sheet of plywood across the frame to hold all the parts you remove and your tools...all the excuses guys say why they cant get lift time is, i bet, largely because they are scared of whats involved in lifting the cab. Go easy on yourself and do it the right way :priest:

oh and if you need advice on how to do the repairs cab on, hit up CTC DEEZUL , he seems to have it down to a science.

I've done 1 or 2, but the motor is usually out in that amount of time. I understand the guys who like doing 6.0s cab off, it just never made sense time wise for me. Worked with a bunch of guys who pulled cabs, back when they were still under warranty. I could usually have the heads on the ground in frame as their,cab was,coming up. Around an hour, hour and a half. When I do heads and get and oil coolers, I pull the radiator and cac and stand in the engine,compartment. Puts everything at a nice height, not bending over or laying down. Just me personally. Plus your average guy probably isn't gonna install a 2 post lift on his own, so youre looking at install costs as well. Leveling a spot, running electrical, etc. Your average guy also is probably only gonna use it once or twice, so it doesnt make financial sense.

sootie

Reaction score
I've done 1 or 2, but the motor is usually out in that amount of time. I understand the guys who like doing 6.0s cab off, it just never made sense time wise for me. Worked with a bunch of guys who pulled cabs, back when they were still under warranty. I could usually have the heads on the ground in frame as their,cab was,coming up. Around an hour, hour and a half. When I do heads and get and oil coolers, I pull the radiator and cac and stand in the engine,compartment. Puts everything at a nice height, not bending over or laying down. Just me personally. Plus your average guy probably isn't gonna install a 2 post lift on his own, so youre looking at install costs as well. Leveling a spot, running electrical, etc. Your average guy also is probably only gonna use it once or twice, so it doesnt make financial sense.

Understood. I guess i'm short on friends....my two posts fixed that problem lol. I find myself clearing the shop every friday to get some other buddy in and fixed on the weekend just due to convenience. tire swaps, plow installs, oil changes you name it-so much more convenient on a hoist haha

install costs for those hoists are about 300

edit: kudos to you on your speed as well.

Reaction score
And Sootie where are you located again? Lol I believe I've found a buddy who will let me use his lift. I like the idea of lifting the cab on my personal truck for the shear fact of I get to steam clean everything. Be nice putting back together a nice clean truck.

Extended Power

Reaction score
I have pulled my engine, by myself, no less than 4 or 5 times.
Never ever had the hood off, or lifted the cab, or anything else.
I just take my time. No issues at all really, and no "special" tools required.
Only real special tools were 3 foot long extensions for my 3/8" drive ratchet wrench...and that was to get at the torque converter bolts from the front of the engine.
I can usually have it out, and on a stand in about 2 hours working by myself.

Reaction score
I have pulled my engine, by myself, no less than 4 or 5 times.
Never ever had the hood off, or lifted the cab, or anything else.
I just take my time. No issues at all really, and no "special" tools required.
Only real special tools were 3 foot long extensions for my 3/8" drive ratchet wrench...and that was to get at the torque converter bolts from the front of the engine.
I can usually have it out, and on a stand in about 2 hours working by myself.

That's pretty impressive

stroker_1999

Reaction score
I know this is a older thread but figured I'd post on how I pull the engine cab on.I take the core support out radiator and intercooler out the rest of the front clip can stay on.I remove the turbo and uppipes and the windshield cowl on driver side to access the degas bottle bracket it's 3 bolts to remove it.I take the fan clutch and fan stator off the intake and oil/filter housing stays I remove the ficm and 2 ficm brackets I remove the power steering pump and a/c compressor .I made a lifting device that allows minamal moment of the engine and allows the engine to come past cross member and clear firewall cowling.I used a solid steel bar I got it from a metal supply place I drilled 3 holes in it I use 2 clevis ends that hook onto the engine lifting brackets.I then used a small short piece of chain that attaches to the lifting bar I made in the center.When the motor is raised it will not twist around nor slam into stuff when you go to pull it out and you don't have to take the whole front of the truck apart.I also slide the transmission back makes it way easier to set the motor back in because lining those torque converter studs up to the flex plate can be a royal pain in the a$$.

Latest posts