Trans Issue

thuglike

Reaction score
Hi all...Been a while...

Merging into traffic yesterday got into it a bit and heard a pop from underneath.
Lost all forward gears and reverse. Coasted to a stop. I do have park and I can shift through all gears with no problem. (except it does not move while in gear:D)
Truck is a 2008 with An Elite Stage 2 tranny with a Suncoast T/C. I am thinking input shaft or Toasted T/C..Looking for opinions here before I drop it.
So...who's equiptment is in vogue right now. I've been driviing the hell out of the rig since I bought it from Mike Settlemire and have not kept up on the latest part trends.
All opinions are welcome..

Thanks in advance....Jason

sootie

Reaction score
If you need a trans, I would suggest Midwest Diesel & Auto.

What codes did it throw? Can you stick a gauge in the side port of the case and tell us what it's doing for pressure?

Curious did it pop on the 3-5 shift?

sootie

Reaction score
If it still makes good pressure and the fluid is clean etc, I would suspect intermediate shaft.

thuglike

Reaction score
Ill check the pressure......but I just double checked...No codes stored on the dashdaq.

I do know the intermediate shaft is stock.(not billett)

thuglike

Reaction score
Finally dropped the trans. All shafts are fine. To look at it there was very little damage. There were 2 small silver bearings inside that are damaged but everything turns as it should. Fluid looked real good and the filter was pretty clean.The bearing that was broken was between the pump and the gearing?(whatever that cylinder of gears is called). The other bearing was out near the output shaft.
So, I'm guessing pump or converter is the culprit?

thuglike

Reaction score
Ok, so **** got real........

Rebuilt the transmission using RCD billet components, and converter. Had a new bearing and gasket kit installed, upgraded the pump (it looked good to the builder) and replaced a few solenoids and installed.

Went great for about a mile and did the same thing. Felt like it went to neutral. No reverse or forward gears. Just Park....NO codes.
slapped AE on it just for the hell of it...Pressure sits at 85 or so in Park. Once shifted, it goes up to 135 or so and immediately drops back down to 85. So I'm pretty stumped..

Pump, Valve body, TCM, stuck Solenoid?? I'm open to suggestions.

Looking for some Ideas

Lipka101

Reaction score
Ok, so **** got real........

Rebuilt the transmission using RCD billet components, and converter. Had a new bearing and gasket kit installed, upgraded the pump (it looked good to the builder) and replaced a few solenoids and installed.

Went great for about a mile and did the same thing. Felt like it went to neutral. No reverse or forward gears. Just Park....NO codes.
slapped AE on it just for the hell of it...Pressure sits at 85 or so in Park. Once shifted, it goes up to 135 or so and immediately drops back down to 85. So I'm pretty stumped..

Pump, Valve body, TCM, stuck Solenoid?? I'm open to suggestions.

Looking for some Ideas

Where is the AE reading pressure from? I wasn’t aware that there was a pressure sensor in this trans that’s actually used. I would hook a mechanical gauge to the port on the drivers side of the trans to get an actual reading. What was changed/upgraded on the pump? There are several valves in the pump assembly that can wear or stick, especially the pressure regulator valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
That isn't the pressure in the transmission. It's the pressure the PCM is telling the transmission to set. It has no idea if the pressure is really there, and so you don't know if you have pressure or not.

Lipka101

Reaction score
That isn't the pressure in the transmission. It's the pressure the PCM is telling the transmission to set. It has no idea if the pressure is really there, and so you don't know if you have pressure or not.

That’s what I thought. Just wasn’t sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thuglike

Reaction score
Found my problem.

Attachments

• 68067.jpg
    68067.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 68068.jpg
    68068.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 68069.jpg