35-40psi on a stock turbo!?

jimmystoys

Reaction score
So I have been thinking a little lately about my set up. Warhammer with some stuff missing. I've been noticing some guys talking about reaching certain turbo max pressures at 20-25psi and trying not to go higher. Now I realize higher pressures mean more load on the turbo resulting in possible catastrophe, eventually. Is there a number you guys feel shouldn't be exceeded, especially on a stock turbo? Reason I bring this up is that I can easily reach 30-35psi. If I step on it like I stole it I can reach 40. Now I've heard the stock turbos are not reliable. No problems with mine yet....Guess I'm on borrowed time? Appreciate your opinions. Thanks.

rrkroll

Reaction score
Jimmy,
Not sure how many miles you have on your truck but those turbos are very prone to failure. High elevation and high boost are definitely contributing factors. Basically anything that causes the turbo to spin faster than stock. Just got done changing mine out to a 2017 stock turbo. It is a much better setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
What year model truck? My stock turbo 2011 will go a little over 29 psi on a hard acceleration but has never reached 30 psi. Probably have 20k miles on this tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Too much boost results in over-speeding and that shortens the life of the stock turbo. The tune dictates the boost. Your turbo change is coming.....

jimmystoys

Reaction score
Ya I been wondering when the turbo's going to go. I'm not as hard on it as I was a few years ago. I've been watching the builds here hoping to get an idea if mine decides to go one day.

08Monster

Reaction score
This is the scariest post I've ever read on here. Lol

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I still haven’t seen what year model truck he has.
What is the safe boost pressure on a ‘15 plus year model turbo without the bearing upgrade?

08Monster

Reaction score
I still haven’t seen what year model truck he has.
What is the safe boost pressure on a ‘15 plus year model turbo without the bearing upgrade?

He's got a 2012.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Texan6Seven

Reaction score
My ‘13 250 didn’t go on a diet until 185k miles with zero issues. I only made it to 248k when the turbo let loose pulling into my driveway on the way back from Austin with the family. I definitely attribute that to overspool. I went with the MPD 364.5 as the upgrade/replacement. I’m at 296k right now and love it.

jimmystoys

Reaction score
How do you guys know when your turbo's packed it in? Makes noise? Just no power? What are some of the signs to look for? Does it disintegrate? Would I be able to limp it somewhere or it just implodes on itself?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
How do you guys know when your turbo's packed it in? Makes noise? Just no power? What are some of the signs to look for? Does it disintegrate? Would I be able to limp it somewhere or it just implodes on itself?
If its a bearing issue then they start making different noises. Most other issues will definitely be noticeable. Doubt you would limp it very well. Would basically have to be at idle speed.

live life full throttle

rrkroll

Reaction score

Mine went under full throttle at 7000 feet in Rawlins wyoming. Sounded a lot like a charge air cooler blowing, but the bearings were not there in the compressor side and the shaft broke in half. Definitely overspool, happened at 211k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk