What oil and coolant you guys run in the 6.0?

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Just as title says.
I'm wondering what engine oil and coolant is preferred with the 6.0.
Just got one myself and need to do oil change and will be doing EGR delete so I want to get coolant and have everything ready.

Thanks.

Moremph

Reaction score
I use Chevron Delo 400 Have been using it for about 4 years now, Went from installing injectors every 30k miles in our hot shot truck to 450k and have only replaced 2. STAY AWAY FROM ROTELLA

If it has the cold start miss that goes away once warm up to shots of REVX fixes it 90% of the time

On all customers trucks that we do egr deletes and oil coolers on the get the CAT ELC coolant. Check your oil cooler before ya do the egr delete if its close dont waste your time go ahead and put a oil cooler in it, and do your self a favor by some sort of monitor that will watch both oil and coolant temp. If ya decide to just do the egr delete flush the coolant system several times, i recomend using 2 qts of motorcraft vc9 it is some bad ass stuff! Then put whatever coolant ya want in it. They type of coolant itself isnt as much of an issues as is the fact that you dont want to mix the motorcraft gold with anything else!

Only use motorcraft filter!!! they work better trust me, I have 675k on one so we have proven this method!!

Travis

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Valvoline extreme blue full synthetic 5w 40 with Zerex non elc coolant (g-05? I think?)

dasboot

Reaction score
Delo 400LE 15w40
Ford Motor craft gold coolant (next time I'll switch to ELC, not for any particular reason other than it is better. Next flush I will know what I'm doing)
OEM filters

I have a oil and fuel filter change coming up. I'm going to add a quart of DOC Diesel Oil Conditioner from BD.

Atsah

Reaction score
Rotella T-5 October-May Morotcraft 15W40 the rest of the time.. Motorcraft Gold coolant flushed every 50K..

chappy

Reaction score
I run shaefer 7000 even though it has been stated that 6.0's injectors don't like it. I've had good luck with itf so far no problems. I also got rid of the gold coolant and went with the cat elc rated stuff. I believe peak makes my coolant and they named it global fleet. Its what our local truck stop stocks and is the full strength so thats what I used.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
...STAY AWAY FROM ROTELLA...

Travis,
Previous owner only used Rotella in the truck's 72k miles. :(
No cold start issues, it actually starts better when it's really cold. :shrug:
Will be doing the oil cooler just because, I already have all the parts ready to go on. Scan gauge shows ECT and EOT very close together anyway.

Where to get CAT ELC coolant? And/or the vc9 from Ford?

Can you mix the CAT coolant with what's in there now? (just in case I don't get it all flushed out?)

I am seriously considering full synthetic with this thing, sounds like a common decision.
I've read enough to know only to use Motorcraft filters.

Thanks for the input all!

Agjake11

Reaction score
right now its got motorcraft 15/40 and motorcraft gold coolant. flushed and replaced green with the gold after doing oil cooler and the coolant filter i just changed last night was pretty clean

Moremph

Reaction score
I buy it from the cat dealer, but any big truckshop should stock it.

The VC9 comes from ford

It is hard to argue with changing an injector every 30k miles too over 475k with only 2. So hard to argue that im not going to look a gift horse in the mouth and i am not willing to try any other oils. Synthetic is over rated. The truck with 675k on it gets 10k mile oil changes and 20k fuel filters however do the math we average 10k a month

Travis

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
Any good synthetic oil in either 15-40, or 5-40, and as far as coolant goes we use fleetguard elc rated coolant that is readily available around us. Oil brand is gonna be up to you, and the truck. Mine personally loves amsoil, but to each their own.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
Valvoline extreme blue full synthetic 5w 40
:whs:
My truck ran Motocraft 15w-40 for the first 75k miles. Truck seemd to like it. Then I switched to Valvoline Premium Blue 15w-40 for a couple oil changes. There was a HUGE difference (for the better) in how smoothly my truck ran.

I then switched to Extreme Blue 5w-40 and it ran even better. I didn't think it could get better than the previous Premium Blue, but it was quite noticable.

Oh, and I'll second and third the no go on Schaeffers. MANY reports of this stuff not agreeing with 6.0s.

01PSD

Reaction score
I don't think some can justify paying nearly $10 more a bottle for the Valvoline 5w40 if what they're using is working perfectly fine. 145k on my brother's 6.0 and it doesn't miss a beat. Would it be better to run the synthetic? probably... but is it in the budget? hell no, Rotella 15w 40 and the Ford Gold for his

Imcummin

Reaction score
:whs:
My truck ran Motocraft 15w-40 for the first 75k miles. Truck seemd to like it. Then I switched to Valvoline Premium Blue 15w-40 for a couple oil changes. There was a HUGE difference (for the better) in how smoothly my truck ran.

I then switched to Extreme Blue 5w-40 and it ran even better. I didn't think it could get better than the previous Premium Blue, but it was quite noticable.

I had a similar experience. Valvoline Extreme Blue 5W 40 is the only oil that truck will ever see.

Zmann

Reaction score
I don't think some can justify paying nearly $10 more a bottle for the Valvoline 5w40 if what they're using is working perfectly fine. 145k on my brother's 6.0 and it doesn't miss a beat. Would it be better to run the synthetic? probably... but is it in the budget? hell no, Rotella 15w 40 and the Ford Gold for his

injector stiction can Be pointed at DINO oils

and injector change can be over a grand

that sold Me on Synthetic and it's extra cost :blitzed:

Latest posts

Members online