No start, out of the blue...

Mdub707

Reaction score
Happy Independence day to me! Go to fire the truck up to head out for the day, turn the key, injectors buzz, crank it over, it pops once. Literally just one "pop" and then nothing... cranking and cranking and cranking and nothing. No smoke coming out, so the injectors are not firing. Didn't have much time to mess with it, but I figured I'd document it here anyways. Helps keep me sane. Had to take the gf's escape around for the day and her A/C doesn't work properly of course... wonderful!

Got back late last night but messed with the truck a bit. To me, the one pop and then nothing was a little odd. I checked ALL of the fuses under the steering column, all are good. I swapped FICM's, no dice. Hooked the laptop up, started monitoring a few things. I really need to go buy AE, because this software I have is goofy. It was giving me all of my ICP readings in metric first. I messed with it a bit, finally got it reading in English units, but now it's giving me actual ICP in ft/hg, instead of PSI, but it gives me desired in PSI. I had to do a conversion after I brought it inside. It appears IPR is going from 15% up to 75%, in an attempt to get it to fire. ICP actual, comes in around 1500psi as I crank, and desired seems to be going up to 1000psi or so. Odd that actual is higher than desired, but I'm not convinced it's a high pressure oil issue. I didn't get to check anything under the hood as far as relays/fuses. I was VERY warm and had been sweating all day and didn't want to deal with it. It might even be as simple as the FICM relay. What WAS concerning to me... FICM SYNC. Didn't appear I was ever getting a "YES" there, always appeared like FICM SYNC was just not working. FICM SYNC is the camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor telling the FICM when to fire, correct? Without SYNC, the FICM doesn't work. Which makes sense. I'm hoping just a simple FICM relay. Kind of odd how it went out, but I guess I should be happy it didn't leave me stranded somewhere else and did it in the driveway.

Also scanned, no codes, and no check engine light.

thoughts/comments/laughter welcomed.

Also, I am running a vegistroke, which is about 1/2 on 1/2 off the truck right now for maintenance and cleaning (been this way for over a month) The only part of the system electronically that could potentially interfere with the truck running is the splice into the stock fuel pump. Basically you take the power supply to the factory pump, and cut it, then splice a wire on each end that run to the vegistroke and to the pressure switch. Basically once that pressure switch sees enough pressure of WVO, it shuts the stock fuel pump off. With the system off of the truck, there is a jumper plug installed, to reconnect the power to the factory pump permanently (at least until the system goes back on). I turned the key on the truck and when I get down there, I can hear the pump running (I'm 90%) sure. It's hard to tell with the darn vacuum pump running non stop though, so I will try again today and crawl under there and feel the diesel pump to make sure it's pumping. It's a fairly new pump so I'm sure it's good. All fuses on the vegistroke brain are good too. I am almost certain this has nothing to do with it, more pointing it out before someone asks about it...

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
Did you try unplugging the ICP and then cranking again? Rule out the ICP. I'm sure you checked, but sometimes the pins don't set well or can come unhooked on the FICM. Check wiring harnesses.

Chris

Mdub707

Reaction score
Did you try unplugging the ICP and then cranking again? Rule out the ICP. I'm sure you checked, it sometimes the pins don't set well or can come unhooked on the FICM. Check wiring harnesses.

Chris

Yep tried that last night to rule it out...no change

Unplug EBP sensor and GP relay, retry

Just tried unplugging all of this, same thing, no change.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Have you recently messed with the cam sensor?

Cam sensor has to sync with crank then the ficm syncs to pcm

Nic

Reaction score
curious about the "pop"...doesnt sound like its skipping over a cylinder when its cranking over does it?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
my buddies truck keeps blowing camshaft position sensors, does the same exact thing. I'd check there first.

bismic

Reaction score
Know anyone w/ a good FICM you can use for a test? Logic board can fail, even though it is not as common as the power supply board.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Ipr duty cycle looked good on the scanner.

Would a seized turbo actually cause a no start with no smoke?

Pop was basically the sound of one single cylinder firing before it just stopped now it just cranks no smoke doesn't even sound like it wants to start.

Greg I haven't tried that but thought that would trip a light

Bismic already tried swapping to a known good ficm.. I keep one in my back seat believe it or not. Injectors buzz really good strong when I first turn the key. It's a repaired 7 pin in there now, tried a repaired 4 pin I had on here for a while.

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
I'm not sure why it would have seized, it was running fine, no funny noises, it doesn't stick and I haven't touched it. Truck has 105k miles on it, been tuned for about 80k of those. When I tried starting it that morning it turned right over and it made the sound of one or two cylinders firing before it just belched smoke (whatever fuel was left in there) and now just cranks. I can check the turbo tonight, but I would be extremely surprised if that was it. This turbo has made no signs of having issues, and in the time I've owned the truck, it's never even needed a cleaning.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Well with no codes and me not being able to see data its just one of the possibilities. Next time you go to fire it up, watch exhaust back pressure pid. See what it does

Mdub707

Reaction score
I can do that, I have had issues with the EBP before. I have a "T" in the coolant line right above that sensor and one of the hose clamps wore through the wire harness before. The truck would start just fine though and when I drove it, and got up to cruising speed the turbo would just fall to 0 boost and I could leave a black cloud for 2 miles. Once it downshifted the turbo would spool up and clean out again. Started monitoring it and EBP was going from min to max and back and forth. Found the harness chaffed, split it up and re-wrapped the wires and it has been fine since.

Is there anything else I should try getting data on to help? I'm usually pretty good at troubleshooting stuff, but I hate electronics crap. I have a feeling that's what this is.

I will check EBP tonight though. If it was an issue with that, wouldn't unplugging it have done something?

Thanks for your help so far, I though this was going to be an easy fix... damn

Mdub707

Reaction score
Know anyone w/ a good FICM you can use for a test? Logic board can fail, even though it is not as common as the power supply board.

Also, to answer this even further, the logic power was at 2.875V according to my datalogging and main power was at 12V, FICM vehicle power was 2.5V at lowest and 3.25 at highest?

This was on my older 7 pin, but man does it buzz the injectors quickly when you first turn the key. I love the older programming on these FICM's.

ICP voltage was .268V the entire time, does this sound right?

Mdub707

Reaction score
BUMP for the day, heading out of here in 30 minutes, so I should be home in about an hour, not going to have much time to do anything on it tonight unfortunately, other than the few minutes I'm at the house after work. I think I'm going to have to take Monday off from work.

When I get home, I will monitor EBP settings, and also camshaft position sensor stuff. I'll see what I can find. If anyone has any more input, feel free...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online