Bad wobble =(

MUDSTROKIN'

Reaction score
05 F250 37s on a pro comp 6" lift with 2" coil spacers.

At about 30MPH and above i have a bad wobble in the front end, sometimes it will smooth out around 50-60MPH. And sometimes around 30MPH it hits really bad and shakes the truck violently. It feels like the wheels are wobbling from side to side. Is this death wobble? I thought death wobble only happened at higher speeds? A friend of mine suggested it may be a ball joint. what do you guys think?

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
This thread probably belongs in the Suspension section, but I'll throw my .02 in here.

What you describe sounds like death wobble. Yeah, it can happen at any speed.

On these coil sprung front ends, more often that not, the wobble results from a worn out or loose track bar ends. That's not to say it couldn't be ball joints, drag link, or tie rod ends though.

Like Austin said, get the front end off the ground and check out the ball joints. You'll want to check tie rods while on the ground.

Another possibility is the steering box adjustment. If the backlash isn't set right the steering can start to ocillate back and forth.

One thing I'm curious about is where your alignment specs are at. Castor in particular.

Buddy@MPD

Reaction score
This thread probably belongs in the Suspension section, but I'll throw my .02 in here.

What you describe sounds like death wobble. Yeah, it can happen at any speed.

On these coil sprung front ends, more often that not, the wobble results from a worn out or loose track bar ends. That's not to say it couldn't be ball joints, drag link, or tie rod ends though.

Like Austin said, get the front end off the ground and check out the ball joints. You'll want to check tie rods while on the ground.

Another possibility is the steering box adjustment. If the backlash isn't set right the steering can start to ocillate back and forth.

One thing I'm curious about is where your alignment specs are at. Castor in particular.

Deffiently check the front end really well. Have a friend turn the wheel back and forth and check the track bar ends. Pay close attention to the metal sleve inside the bushing. There shouldnt be any play on either end.

MUDSTROKIN'

Reaction score
I finally got my hands on a jack and got it in the air yesterday.... 4 bad balljoints *facepalm*

Dustball8504

Reaction score
I finally got my hands on a jack and got it in the air yesterday.... 4 bad balljoints *facepalm*

How many miles did you get out of yours? These trucks seem to like their balljoints LOL. I had to replace all of mine around 65k and then had to replace one at 80k before I sold it. Your big tires don't help either haha

Mdub707

Reaction score
Yeah I'm at 86k, always had a little bit larger tire on than stock, anywhere from a 33" to a 35" and some heavy HEAVY 34" super swampers. I think I need to do mine too.

ducatirider944

Reaction score
Front hub bearing are also notorious for going out and will give you front end shake just like bad ball joints. Jack it up and see if you have play in and out on your tire. If you do, see if it is actually the ball joints moving or the hub. I had a buddy that took his truck to a shop and they told him his ball joints were out, he asked me what I thought. I said it could be bring it over and we will take a look. His ball joints were fine, but his hubs were shot. He could have put new ball joints in, but his problem would have still been there.

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
Front hub bearing are also notorious for going out and will give you front end shake just like bad ball joints. Jack it up and see if you have play in and out on your tire. If you do, see if it is actually the ball joints moving or the hub. I had a buddy that took his truck to a shop and they told him his ball joints were out, he asked me what I thought. I said it could be bring it over and we will take a look. His ball joints were fine, but his hubs were shot. He could have put new ball joints in, but his problem would have still been there.
Good call. I totally forgot the bearings.

motoxracer42

Reaction score
i had death wobble on my race truck and changed every tie rod end, ball joint and the track bar lol. still had it. got under it last week and for some reason i didnt look at the stabilizer. it was completely blown. maybe check that too

MUDSTROKIN'

Reaction score
How many miles did you get out of yours? These trucks seem to like their balljoints LOL. I had to replace all of mine around 65k and then had to replace one at 80k before I sold it. Your big tires don't help either haha

150K miles

I'll take a closer look, Thanks for the heads up!

i had death wobble on my race truck and changed every tie rod end, ball joint and the track bar lol. still had it. got under it last week and for some reason i didnt look at the stabilizer. it was completely blown. maybe check that too

The new stabalizer took away the shake?

Latest posts

Members online