gh hot street tune

04cr450

Reaction score
playing around with the truck today and noticed it has a dead spot or turbo lag if you are going 20-25 mph and punch it say half throttle... almost like a non vgt feel then it lights and rips away. Is this normal with the 15's and 16's? truck is on full diet, has the updated gh tunes, open vein idle, no limit s2 intake. I have not tried other tunes to see if they do it as well. It has always had this symptom just not as bad i thought until i did it multiple times to feel it.
Also, when you get on it, the tires spin obviously and the truck just flat out falls on its face- is this this traction control doing this? It got me in a little trouble today getting in front of a pile of slow cars lol

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
playing around with the truck today and noticed it has a dead spot or turbo lag if you are going 20-25 mph and punch it say half throttle... almost like a non vgt feel then it lights and rips away. Is this normal with the 15's and 16's? truck is on full diet, has the updated gh tunes, open vein idle, no limit s2 intake. I have not tried other tunes to see if they do it as well. It has always had this symptom just not as bad i thought until i did it multiple times to feel it.
Also, when you get on it, the tires spin obviously and the truck just flat out falls on its face- is this this traction control doing this? It got me in a little trouble today getting in front of a pile of slow cars lol

You you accelerate at 20-25 and it's in say 3rd or fourth gear, there will be a lag if you don't press the throttle enough to make it downshift.

Second issue is traction control.... I usually press the button once every time I get in the truck. That will keep it from killing power if you spin a bit. It still will hold you back from doing a burn out. To kill TC fully, you have to press the button once, then hold the button until it says advanced trac off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04cr450

Reaction score
Understand I appreciate the info. On the lag part. Doesn't matter what gear or speed except at the 20-25 mph zone- there is hardly any lag the trans downshifts immediately and off the truck goes.
It is just odd it only lags at that speed and throttle postion. Must just be the nature of the turbo design.
Understand also now on the traction control. For a minute i thought the traction control did not work - now I know to hold it in to fully disable it.

cappa

Reaction score
I don't know if I would say it is the nature of the turbo or truck. I've never noticed a lag or dead spot with my spar tunes. Also traction control has never "killed power"on mine either stock or tuned. It seems mine has always unlocked the torque converter to put a little less power down but it never feels like it cuts power. Much different feel than my 2011 eco boost, it would bog right out when the traction control kicked in

sootie

Reaction score
Try the stock air intake and see if it goes away. Also use 4x4 when testing to rule out tc

Jomax

Reaction score
Ok I will try the stock intake. I know the new gh tune I have is tuned for the s2 intake. We will see

Have you asked Mike yet about this lag? He would know best honestly.

04cr450

Reaction score
I have not honestly. figure id try and solve the issue amongst us before i ask him. I am sure he is slammed with pm's etc etc. Driving it again tonight, i think it may be normal, the throttle is super sensitive in my opinion- 0-1/4 throttle it feels like a stock truck, anything after that the "tune" kicks in(power wise just kicks in).
In conclusion to this observation, 20-25 mph 0 throttle, stab to 1/2 throttle roughly, feels stock power wise than the "tune" kicks in and off it goes. Like i said before, any other throttle position, speed etc i am thrilled with how the truck reacts. Makes sense?

In addition, i doubt this has something to do with it, but now my tire pressure monitor in "on" when in operation(before it was not and i adjusted the tire pressure via sct. Tire psi all at 60 psi confirmed)

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
I vote install the race tune and go from there!

04cr450

Reaction score
Update. Traction control was the issue now she spins away and acts like as it should, switched over to the updated gh race open vein tune. Night and day difference, no lag at all. I guess the hot street tune had a malfunation in it? Or maybe it wasn't tuned for the s2 intake? Anyways thanks for the help

Azraie218

Reaction score
did you make GH aware of the S2 intake? or did you just stick it on...?? its larger than stock and requires adjustment to the MAF range with in the tune or you will have a laggy pig of a truck.... due to lost intake velocity from the larger intake..... it will make your truck think it has less air than it realy does there for cutting fueling....if you havnt i suggest you get with GH and get him to make the correct adjustments... hes had the files for those intakes for a long time easy fix! :)

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
did you make GH aware of the S2 intake? or did you just stick it on...?? its larger than stock and requires adjustment to the MAF range with in the tune or you will have a laggy pig of a truck.... due to lost intake velocity from the larger intake..... it will make your truck think it has less air than it realy does there for cutting fueling....if you havnt i suggest you get with GH and get him to make the correct adjustments... hes had the files for those intakes for a long time easy fix! :)

he good.

04cr450

Reaction score

yes sir, all the tunes (tow,street, and race) are the newest open vein tunes that are for the s2 intake.

Jomax

Reaction score
yes sir, all the tunes (tow,street, and race) are the newest open vein tunes that are for the s2 intake.

Glad you have it fixed! Best thing you can do now is leave it in the race tune, let the trans learn real good and just enjoy it. I strongly believe people killed these trans fast by swapping tunes all the time and not letting them relearn correctly.

Keep in mind people have said you get a bit of lag with open vein at idle. I tested that tune and couldn't really tell a difference, but just to MAKE sure I have no lag I keep using the regular tune. I'm sure it's just in my head.

04cr450

Reaction score
Glad you have it fixed! Best thing you can do now is leave it in the race tune, let the trans learn real good and just enjoy it. I strongly believe people killed these trans fast by swapping tunes all the time and not letting them relearn correctly.

Keep in mind people have said you get a bit of lag with open vein at idle. I tested that tune and couldn't really tell a difference, but just to MAKE sure I have no lag I keep using the regular tune. I'm sure it's just in my head.

gotcha pal. Yes i plan on leaving this tune in the truck for good. I let the trans learn for at least a couple hundred of miles. Truck just turned 3k miles today but will be driving it a lot more now. I didn't think about the open vein option being more "laggy". But makes sense for sure, it is only open vein when engine temps are warm, on first start up it has the annoying hair dryer sound- off topic but i went non vgt on my 6.0 to get away from the whistle hence why i run the "OV" race tune haha.

brown1

Reaction score
to hijack a thread i also run this tune as my daily. do you guys switch to the towing tune when towing or leave tune alone and use tow/haul? i am really liking the sotf and of course it came out for these tunes about a month after i bought mine.

JRLott

Reaction score
Call NL. I'm guessing bought through them. If so, they'll make you a deal on the switch and updated tunes

Jomax

Reaction score
to hijack a thread i also run this tune as my daily. do you guys switch to the towing tune when towing or leave tune alone and use tow/haul? i am really liking the sotf and of course it came out for these tunes about a month after i bought mine.

I tow heavy in my race tune. I just hit tow/haul.

Latest posts

Members online