V10 mileage improvement recommendations

Wayne

Reaction score
Just picked up a totally stock '03 excursion running a V10, 4r100 trans, 4X4, and 3.73's that I'd like to mod for better fuel economy until I get around to the 6.4 conversion I have planned for it in a year or so. I have a buddy who did a superchips microtuner and 4" cat back system, and seemed to pick up a decent amount several years back. That's the only experiment I've helped with, and would like some relatively inexpensive recommendations. Thanks in advance.

patrickke

Reaction score
We can get you a tune... There are a few things to help with them... They did have a supercharger kit for those if you want more power :naughty:

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Sounds gay but I've had friends run Banks headers on those engines with great results. Dunno if that's *ideal* for your application or not

brewer

Reaction score
I've never driven one to see what the powerband is like, but I think besides a tuner my first thought would to consider dropping to 3.55's or something similar.

Wayne

Reaction score
We can get you a tune... There are a few things to help with them... They did have a supercharger kit for those if you want more power :naughty:

What kind of mileage gains can be had with your tunes? what platform and price? Also, who makes a supercharger kit? Pretty sure I won't spend that kind of coin on an engine that will be replaced in the next year or so, but it's still fun to fantasize.

Also, I looked at the banks exhaust system and I'd do it in a heartbeat if I intended to keep that powertrain. I'm thinking more along the lines of getting a cat-back 4" system from a 6.0 diesel excursion so I can re-use that stuff in the future as well as now.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
high flowing air filter and either true dual exhaust or at min get rid of the cat.... if it has any more then 150k on the clock get ready to helicoil some spark plugs.. have had a slew of them that i know of blow the plugs out because the cat gets to plugged up...

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
What kind of mileage gains can be had with your tunes? what platform and price? Also, who makes a supercharger kit? Pretty sure I won't spend that kind of coin on an engine that will be replaced in the next year or so, but it's still fun to fantasize.

Also, I looked at the banks exhaust system and I'd do it in a heartbeat if I intended to keep that powertrain. I'm thinking more along the lines of getting a cat-back 4" system from a 6.0 diesel excursion so I can re-use that stuff in the future as well as now.

Good call.

On another unrelated at this time, note: are you swapping the interior out to '08+ job as well??

Wayne

Reaction score
high flowing air filter and either true dual exhaust or at min get rid of the cat.... if it has any more then 150k on the clock get ready to helicoil some spark plugs.. have had a slew of them that i know of blow the plugs out because the cat gets to plugged up...

It's got 188 on the ticker. Looks like I'll be checking back pressure, and porting the cat if necessary.

Good call.

On another unrelated at this time, note: are you swapping the interior out to '08+ job as well??

Gonna buy a rolled 6.4, and change out everything from the dash forward, top to bottom, plus door panels & stuff to make it all match. Gonna source the entire Drivetrain from the donor as well.

Wayne

Reaction score
Id port it anyway...

Gonna be sweet when your done with the swap...

Tempting on the porting. I did just get it certified for the next 2 years :lookaround:

I'm definitely looking forward to how it will turn out. I have to base my plans on stock, or near stock height because the wife says so big lift. Too hard lifting kids in and out for practical purposes. That, and I want my garage to be functional for at least one of my vehicles. I love the stance and tire/wheel size combo on Godzilla, so I hope to do some duplication there.

fordman2121

Reaction score
If your looking to spend money to save mpg only then you should calculate your ROI before buying because most improvments wont net you a return in a year. Now porting the cat dosnt cost anything so go for it. Now if your wanting to gain some driveablity out of it also then youll have to weigh that. You might be better off just saving your coin for the 6.4 swap.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Oh but some.other guys can pull 15 or more out of those. Funny.because the.rc/lb f350I drove could.get.11 if.I.was grandpa-ing it. 8 if I drove.it.how I wanted.

woodsman

Reaction score
Yeah, my dad's eclb got 6 mpg grossing 22k and 10 mpg empty foot to the floor always...

Wayne

Reaction score
Yeah, it looks like I'm getting just under 10. I believe the cat-back 4" exhaust will happen VERY soon. What kind of programming will I need for everything to be happy with a super free flowing catalytic converter?

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Ive been told you'll see a 2 mpg improvement running the SCMT.....

Friend runs one on his v10 f350

Latest posts

Members online