"Hidden" Ignition switch

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
So i got to thinking earlier about all the truck thefts and a little light bulb lit. So i had some free time so i thought i would give it a shot. So basically i put a relay inline with the starter signal wire as close to the firewall as i could and i spliced the cigaret lighter power wire and put the signal side of the relay there. So basically the cigarette lighter has to be pushed in to complete the circuit activate the relay that is on the starter signal wire. And if you use your cig lighter there is really no other affect because when its pushed in it just signals the relay and heats but it wont activate the starter unless you turn the key to start the truck which i dont think most people would do when the trucks running. And for some reason it now takes the lighter 20 seconds opposed to the 11 it use to take to heat up but i suppose thats a good thing depending on how long it takes your truck to turn over because once it heats up and pops out truck wont start, but either way i figured i would share might do someone else some good. Who would think to push in a cig lighter to start a truck. And then you park just pull it out and toss it in the door pocket.

Last edited:

Isaac3384

Reaction score
The reason it takes longer is that there is now two 'loads' on that circuit. The relays coil is stealing some of the lighter's power. It shouldn't be a big deal. I've thought about doing something similar, but with a push button mounted under the carpet in a location similar to the high beam button on older Chevys... Make it low profile enough to be concealed under the carpet...

Denver

Reaction score
Thats a great idea but I don't think I would be posting the tips to starting your truck on a public forum. If your worried about your truck getting stolen I wouldn't be posting pictures of it or listing your location or the mods done to it.

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
Thats a great idea but I don't think I would be posting the tips to starting your truck on a public forum. If your worried about your truck getting stolen I wouldn't be posting pictures of it or listing your location or the mods done to it.

If someone wants my truck that bad they can have it lol. the ol gal has been nothin but trouble a forced upgrade wouldnt be too bad. I dont pay for full coverage for nothin.

Just dont loose it.....haha.

Interesting idea.

Yah that would suck, gonna pick up a spare next time im in the ford stealership area

Jason

Reaction score
I've thought about the same type of deal. Having something wired up that has to be pushed to complete the circuit, to start my truck. I'd want somethin super stealthy, and something that I don't have to do everytime I shut it off, I could just trip it while leaving it for extended periods of time etc. I've thought about the window lock switch on the door, which position it would need to be in, is pretty easy to guess ;) but who the *** would think to take the window lock off to start the truck?

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
I think that it’s a great Idea, but what if you have something like a cell phone charger plugged in, the relay would be activated while it is plugged in and constantly pulling an additional load.

jwlandry

Reaction score
Care to share how you did this? Pics would be great. If you don't want to post them on the forum pm me. I want to do this.

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
I think that it’s a great Idea, but what if you have something like a cell phone charger plugged in, the relay would be activated while it is plugged in and constantly pulling an additional load.

Iirc all fords after 99 have atleast 1 aux port on the dash. And if your trucks pre 99 well I dunno I guess. The added load would most likely cause a slower charge but other than that I don't think there would be any other affects.

Fat fingered from the phone-Corey

Last edited:

samoht517

Reaction score
A guy I used to work with bought an f150 that you had to push one of the cruise control buttons to get the starter to work

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
Care to share how you did this? Pics would be great. If you don't want to post them on the forum pm me. I want to do this.

Ill post up a write up after work.

Also the link posted by nevrnf is a pretty cool idea as well for those not wanting to cut into some wires

Fat fingered from the phone-Corey

Wright337

Reaction score
I've thought about the same type of deal. Having something wired up that has to be pushed to complete the circuit, to start my truck. I'd want somethin super stealthy, and something that I don't have to do everytime I shut it off, I could just trip it while leaving it for extended periods of time etc. I've thought about the window lock switch on the door, which position it would need to be in, is pretty easy to guess ;) but who the *** would think to take the window lock off to start the truck?

I added a kill switch to mine and I guarante that you couldnt find it or start my truck unless you knew exactly what and where I did it. I wont post it up but if you want info pm me and I will give you a call and go over it step by step. And if you dont want to have to do it every time you dont have to.

NEVRNF

Reaction score

That is why they offer a key fob remote. OR you could put an additional lighter plug somewhere like under the seat or in the glove box that the transmitter would plug into.

TANK'S 250

Reaction score
pull a fuse under the dash...cheap theft deterrent...

Drill a tiny hole in a fuse in the fuse panel,...get a piece of fishing leader, crimp it...It is a simple concept,...pull fuse ring....trucky no movey.

The whole thing will cost about 40 cents,...and is 10000% better than any other " Anti-Theft" system out there.

Other than ...a tracking device.

problem is,...for some reason people are too lazy to pull a fuse out,...they'd rather push a button on their key fob,.....which still doesn't give you near the security my idea does...lol

so I guess it's entirely up to you,..

40+ cents.............or......400+ dollars
5 seconds.............or......0.5 seconds
99.9%+ effective...or......80%+ effective

Last edited:

Spastik monkey

Reaction score
I've done them where you have to hold the driver's window switch, i've also installed ones where you had to activate the seat heater. however, any experienced thief will know the starter wire has been tampered with and will re connect it. Remember, anyone that wants to steal anything bad enough will get it

RedSmokey

Reaction score
I've done them where you have to hold the driver's window switch, i've also installed ones where you had to activate the seat heater. however, any experienced thief will know the starter wire has been tampered with and will re connect it. Remember, anyone that wants to steal anything bad enough will get it

That why you can do the fuse or relay idea. If a 7.3 isnt getting power to the IDM you can crank until the batterys die, but it won't be running.