shavings in oil , what could it trash?

IIVonnyII

Reaction score
have shavings in the oil , appear to be bearing material. only have about 10 minutes of run time since the damage happened ( was idle ). shavings only on the outside of the filter, cut it open and couldn't find any on the inside.

is there anything to worry about? its all getting torn down and rebuilt anyways, but in regards to the charger? or hpop? injectors? what gets lubed before and after the bottom end bearings? anybody know?

thanks. hopefully I explained myself well enough

78f100

Reaction score
Well technically the oil from the filter housing feeds turbo hpop and the the rest of the engine. The shavings that got trapped by the filter are not going to further damage anything. But they had to have came through the oil system and pumped into the filter housing they had the opportunity to damage bearings and such but shouldn't have made it through the turbo or hpop if the filter was doing its job. As far as the cam, rod and main bearings there is no way to know with out disassembly. I missed the other thread but that's my 02$.

78f100

Reaction score
How did I get a angry face...lol. I didn't know you guys could do that. I was bored in the tree stand when I responded, haven't seen the other thread.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Well technically the oil from the filter housing feeds turbo hpop and the the rest of the engine. The shavings that got trapped by the filter are not going to further damage anything. But they had to have came through the oil system and pumped into the filter housing they had the opportunity to damage bearings and such but shouldn't have made it through the turbo or hpop if the filter was doing its job. As far as the cam, rod and main bearings there is no way to know with out disassembly. I missed the other thread but that's my 02$.

Alot of oil is bypassed. IIRC the oil isnt even fully filtered until like 130*. Reason why we have the screen under the oil cooler and screen on the IPR.

But the 6L I bought, there was 2 cam lobes worth of metal in the motor and I re used everything, turbo, hpop, injectors, everything. No issues and by the 3rd oil change(in less than 2k miles) 99% of the metal debris was gone.

Latest posts

Members online