96 f250 runs like crap

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
Did a couple pulls this evening and checked exhaust vlv. Spring is strong and the vlv stays open.
Now... for the funky stuff. I got 14psi max on about 10 pulls and every time time the truck shifted gears it would drop to 7psi...
Also my ipr% only got to 39%max for all those pulls

mandkole

Reaction score
There should be a square profile black oring between the turbo and y pipe. Have you checked that it's there under the v band clamp? Stock 15deg pump on stock tunes should give ~2500 psi at wot .

rrchlin

Reaction score
The turbo to collector (then runs to up-pipes) have a square gasket.

The turbo to Y pipes for me is a round O-ring reddish orange under the V-band clamp (viton?)

rrchlin

Reaction score
what's your HPOP oil psi at the WOT if you remember?

I get to about 2800 psi HPOP/40% ipr duty. That I read is good and normal. Dudemanscott in another thread posted a chart with similar numbers.

And do you still have a sputter? My new up-pipes/manifolds cleared my sputter and doubled my boost but its still only 15psi max.

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
Torque screenshot

2600ish at 39%

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171027-172937.jpg
    Screenshot_20171027-172937.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 40

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
The sputter comes and goes. I did fund my driver side rear vlv cover harness plug has 1 pigtail that looks a little wonky. Probably replace everything on that side now.... Still shakes pretty hard while in park. Took my boss for a ride who has 16 years as a marine diesel engineer and only really had 2 things to say. "Boost seems low, drops off and this thing shakes too much while in park. Change some senosors "

rrchlin

Reaction score
That seems good to me.

Does anyone know if your numbers would get skewed with a bad injector or not?

There's a few threads around on checking for Y-pipe leaks by using a PVC cap with a schrader valve tapped in and fitting the cap to the air filter's intake boot and pressurizing to about 20 PSI and spraying soapy water around the Y-pipe boots. I need to do this myself.

My truck is so dirty I did not notice any soot when looking at the exhaust manifolds and up-pipes. My drivers side pipe was nice metal finish, no leaks but my drivers side was totally black to the point that I didn't notice. I could of contributed the blackness to the down-pipe being dumped right near it.. but I wouldn't of noticed if it was leaking or not like that.

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
I'll give mine a good look over and clean them up. I don't think a exhaust leak at idle in park would cause surging or hunting or whatever is going on. My rpms fluctuate around 75rpm . My InjPW on my torque gauge also fluctuates a 100 units. Does the IPR control that? Should I just replace that? Again I'm family positive it has never been replaced

superpsd

Reaction score
What is IPR duty Cycle and ICP doing while idling rough? If you have not I would unplug ICP to see if a difference is made. You may try and run a CCT test. The bouncing idle may be IPR as they can cause all sorts of issues. Is the hunting idle when cold or hot or all the time?

rrchlin

Reaction score
Maybe try unplugging MAP sensor seprately as well. I unplugged ICP and Map sensor and neither made a noticeable change, though they both gave me hard hard shifting.

I changed my clogged Autozone fuel filter (pics of my fuel bowl in earlier posts) with a Motorcraft and went from 15psi boost to 19psi boost. As I drove it more I was only able to hit 17psi

I was reading about people getting 28psi with intake/exhaust/chip and then others claiming 17-20 stock. Are these numbers about right?

I have intake/exhaust and a TS6 chip. fpr is probably still dirty and only get 55psi fuel pressure and gonna do BB mod soon. But I'm only thinking of gaining a couple PSI with that.

superpsd

Reaction score
55 psi is normal fuel pressure on the stock setup. Boost pressure will vary a lot you should see over 20 easy with a tune. Check the up pipes for leaks and O ring on the intake Y and boots.

Latest posts

Members online